The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Philosophy and Ethics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I have 5 days to revise for 3 exams! Plan on doing topic a day, just did Meta ethics yesterday and doing Free will & determinism today as i think that it'll come up this year since examiners like to give difficult questions and questions on compatibilism especially are mostly answered poorly. Missing sexual ethics as we didn't cover it in class. Can't wait for these exams to be over :/
Original post by Radny
I have 5 days to revise for 3 exams! Plan on doing topic a day, just did Meta ethics yesterday and doing Free will & determinism today as i think that it'll come up this year since examiners like to give difficult questions and questions on compatibilism especially are mostly answered poorly. Missing sexual ethics as we didn't cover it in class. Can't wait for these exams to be over :/

I've got 3 left also! - how would you go about answering a question on Compatibalism??
Reply 62
Original post by De Re Publica
I've got 3 left also! - how would you go about answering a question on Compatibalism??

Free will + determinism is due and so is sexual ethics - someone said that natural law on contraception is sue - if anyone has has any good essays/notes on contraception then pls do help me and kindly share it here! I also think that meta ethics may be likely. I'm leaving out virtue ethics and business. hope everyone does really well in the exam :smile:
Original post by geek999
Free will + determinism is due and so is sexual ethics - someone said that natural law on contraception is sue - if anyone has has any good essays/notes on contraception then pls do help me and kindly share it here! I also think that meta ethics may be likely. I'm leaving out virtue ethics and business. hope everyone does really well in the exam :smile:

I'm not learning the applied topics and I'm only learning metaethics, virtue ethics, freewill and conscience. It'll be fine because they have never put forward a paper with more than 2 applied questions.. it will allow me to write much better essays too as I can perfect the topics I am learning. I only started my conscience notes on Thursday and I've already written every essay for the topic and learnt all the content. I'm feeling good but not as good as I did for philosophy.
Do you think that they could ask a question on Sexual, Business and Environmental Ethics all in one question e.g. 'Utilitarianism is the best approach to business, environmental and sexual ethics'. Discuss.

Also, do you think a question on compatibilism shall come up? THANKS X
Original post by Owen1111
Do you think that they could ask a question on Sexual, Business and Environmental Ethics all in one question e.g. 'Utilitarianism is the best approach to business, environmental and sexual ethics'. Discuss.

Also, do you think a question on compatibilism shall come up? THANKS X

I don't think a question like that has ever come up so I doubt it would?! But if it did I think OCR would be doing us a solid, I mean so much content to write about in a question like that, shouldn't be hard to pick up the marks.
I've seen predictions for a question like "Consider the view that free-will is compatible with determinism" so I'm prepping answers specifically for compatibilism out of the free will and determinism topic x
Akira mada
I don't think a question like that has ever come up so I doubt it would?! But if it did I think OCR would be doing us a solid, I mean so much content to write about in a question like that, shouldn't be hard to pick up the marks.
I've seen predictions for a question like "Consider the view that free-will

Thank you! I am not too familiar with compatibilism. By chance do you have any notes on it, or a link?

Would be much appreciated x
[QUOTE="Owen1111;65929252"]
Akira mada
I've seen predictions for a question like "Consider the view that free-will

Thank you! I am not too familiar with compatibilism. By chance do you have any notes on it, or a link?

Would be much appreciated x

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/ this has pretty much everything you need, as a starting point though it is a bit much, I looked at the revision guide by OCR first! x
Reply 68
Does anyone know which topics came up last year? I'm really hoping for questions on free will and determinism and conscience!
Reply 69
Original post by Amy A x
Does anyone know which topics came up last year? I'm really hoping for questions on free will and determinism and conscience!

meta ethics, virtue ethics and both business and environment came up. I do hope that conscience and free will come up this year so fingers crossed!
Reply 70
[QUOTE="madams;65933212" Akira="Akira"]
Original post by Owen1111

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/ this has pretty much everything you need, as a starting point though it is a bit much, I looked at the revision guide by OCR first! x

I think that is way too much. We only need to know the basics, as we only have 45 minutes in an exam, and need to bring in not just compatibilism but also hard determinism and libertarianism, Anything outside of the revision guide and main books are nice if you want to learn more of the material, but in terms of revision a day or two before the exam, that's not what people should be focused on.
Reply 71
How long are we supposed to spend writing each essay? What are the exam timings?
45 minutes in each essay.
45 minutes on each essay.
Reply 74
Good luck with the exam today! Does anyone think meta-ethics or virtue ethics will come up?
What time does yours start? Mine starts 2:00PM
Reply 76
Original post by De Re Publica
What time does yours start? Mine starts 2:00PM

Mine starts at 1:15PM
I'm very nervous for the exam
I'm really hoping for conscience and free will and determinism.
Although I wouldn't mind if sexual ethics came up,
But I'm screwed if it's all like meta and environment/business!
Reply 78
Original post by littlechicklet
I'm very nervous for the exam
I'm really hoping for conscience and free will and determinism.
Although I wouldn't mind if sexual ethics came up,
But I'm screwed if it's all like meta and environment/business!

I second that. Really hoping for free will and conscience to show up. Haven't even revised meta, business not environment. fingers crossed and all the best.
Original post by geek999
I second that. Really hoping for free will and conscience to show up. Haven't even revised meta, business not environment. fingers crossed and all the best.

Would conscience and free will/determinism come up in the same paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending