The Student Room Group

I have always wanted to be a doctor but it doesn't seem possible

It's always been my dream to be a doctor but over the past through years I seemed to have forgot that. I have always been better at arts based subjects and convinced myself that I would be better off as a journalist. I love writing so it wouldn't be a disaster if i ended up in that profession, i just can't stop thinking about medicine.

My GCSE grades were ok but not spectacular. I got A's in both English subjects and in double science. I got a B in maths, a distinction in OCR business and 4 C's in more vocational GCSE subjects. At AS I dropped chemistry and the highest I have ever got in biology is an E. Again i'm doing better in the arts subjects.

I know that the idea of me getting onto a medicine degree straight out of school are near impossible even if i did a foundation year first. I did hear though that some uni's offer medicine at postgraduate depending on how well you do in your subject area. I'm just looking for information really to find out if the idea of me ever being a doctor is feasible or whether i'm just being unrealistic.
Original post by AlishaVillanerve
It's always been my dream to be a doctor but over the past through years I seemed to have forgot that. I have always been better at arts based subjects and convinced myself that I would be better off as a journalist. I love writing so it wouldn't be a disaster if i ended up in that profession, i just can't stop thinking about medicine.

My GCSE grades were ok but not spectacular. I got A's in both English subjects and in double science. I got a B in maths, a distinction in OCR business and 4 C's in more vocational GCSE subjects. At AS I dropped chemistry and the highest I have ever got in biology is an E. Again i'm doing better in the arts subjects.

I know that the idea of me getting onto a medicine degree straight out of school are near impossible even if i did a foundation year first. I did hear though that some uni's offer medicine at postgraduate depending on how well you do in your subject area. I'm just looking for information really to find out if the idea of me ever being a doctor is feasible or whether i'm just being unrealistic.

In your situation your best bet would be to study a Bachelor of Science degree before even thinking about medicine. Why did you drop Chemistry during AS? If it's because you found it too difficult then I don't think Medicine is a route you should consider; there are plenty of other healthcare professions available which can get you working with patients in a clinical environment and don't require knowledge of chemistry. Have you considered Occupational Therapy?
Original post by Michaellatte
In your situation your best bet would be to study a Bachelor of Science degree before even thinking about medicine. Why did you drop Chemistry during AS? If it's because you found it too difficult then I don't think Medicine is a route you should consider; there are plenty of other healthcare professions available which can get you working with patients in a clinical environment and don't require knowledge of chemistry. Have you considered Occupational Therapy?

You don't need to know about chemistry to be a doctor, or even to get through medical school. It's just an arcane entry requirement (but an entry requirement nevertheless).

Is it okay if I ask why you want to do medicine? Have you ever done any medical work experience?

Do you think there is a specific reason or reasons why you didn't get very high grades in your science AS levels?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

My best advice for you would be is to apply as a graduate to a 4 year programme.

St George's also have a scheme whereby biomedical science student's can transfer into 2nd year of the 4 year graduate stream upon completing their degree. By undertaking this transfer programme the total duration of your Biomed degree and your MBBS degree altogether is 6 years. So, you will save a lot of time. The competition of this scheme is similar to undergraduate medicine. Annually, 15-20 students are successful by this programme.

Check it out: http://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/biomedical-science-bsc-hons/transfer-into-medicine

There are also other universities out there which do something similar, but at St George's competition is less fiercer.

Nothing is easy in life, if you really want to do medicine then go for it. There is always a good chance:smile:
Reply 5
Do A-level Biology and Chemistry privately and study hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending