The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Chemistry B - C4 C5 C6 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Demi87
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS! SO USEFUL! Feel like an A* is a possibility because I got around 73/85 which should be 100% UMS BUT I have an issue: my coursework was only 38/48 and I haven't been able to find mark scheme for the first paper but I did s*** - probably around 52-56 out of 75 - so many silly mistakes. :frown: just wondering if I could still get an A* and if you have a mark scheme for the first paper? Thanks

Thanks :smile: Sorry, but I don't have a mark scheme for the first paper - I have only done:
P1 P2 P3
B4 B5 B6
C4 C5 C6

and am intending to do P4 P5 P6 aswell :smile:

And, on last year's grade boundaries (http://ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/) - I'll say you got 54 / 75 in the first paper as it is between 52 and 56:
Coursework 38/48 raw marks: 78/100 UMS
Paper 1 54/75 raw marks: 116/140 UMS
Paper 2 73/85 raw marks: 160/160 UMS

Total UMS: 354/400 UMS
That is an A - 6 UMS off an A* - but you may have done better :smile:

Good luck for physics on wednesday :smile:
Original post by TSR-Radioactive
The missing thing from Q1 is the number of neutrons^^^ :smile:

Original post by Jagraj16
1 (b) was 4.
9 (a) (i) and (ii) are both correct.

Ok thanks both - I will update the mark scheme :smile:
How do they work out your total grade?
Original post by omarkhaled
How do they work out your total grade?

The course is made of three components: the coursework, the first exam, and the second exam.

Each component is worth a set amount of UMS marks.

When each component is marked, they will count your scores on each question and get a "raw mark" - which would be the mark out of 85 in terms of this paper. This mark is then converted to a UMS mark which will depend on the difficulty of the paper and how well the rest of the country performed.

Your overall grade is determined by your total UMS mark for the entire course. 90% UMS (but not always raw marks) is an A*, 80% for an A and so on.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think it's something on these lines :smile:

This may be helpful: http://ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/ :smile:
Original post by some-student
The course is made of three components: the coursework, the first exam, and the second exam.

Each component is worth a set amount of UMS marks.

When each component is marked, they will count your scores on each question and get a "raw mark" - which would be the mark out of 85 in terms of this paper. This mark is then converted to a UMS mark which will depend on the difficulty of the paper and how well the rest of the country performed.

Your overall grade is determined by your total UMS mark for the entire course. 90% UMS (but not always raw marks) is an A*, 80% for an A and so on.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think it's something on these lines :smile:

This may be helpful: http://ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/ :smile:

So that means grade boundaries don't have an affect on your result? Or can the UMS boundaries change
So that means grade boundaries don't have an affect on your result? Or can the UMS boundaries change

UMS boundaries are fixed 90% for A* 80% for A etc but raw mark boundaries change depending how difficult people across the country found the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
UMS boundaries are fixed 90% for A* 80% for A etc but raw mark boundaries change depending how difficult people across the country found the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
so is it raw mark or UMS score that determines your final grade?
so is it raw mark or UMS score that determines your final grade?

UMS determines your final grade :smile:
I think in question 6 you also needed to have NO3- ions in sample C because there was no reaction with lead nitrate? Might not be though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I think in question 6 you also needed to have NO3- ions in sample C because there was no reaction with lead nitrate? Might not be though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll put it as an alternative answer on the mark scheme - thanks :smile:
Thank you for this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by some-student
I'll put it as an alternative answer on the mark scheme - thanks :smile:

You're welcome! :smile: well done for this and the other mark schemes you've done, I know everyone really appreciates all the work you put into them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
You're welcome! :smile: well done for this and the other mark schemes you've done, I know everyone really appreciates all the work you put into them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! :smile: and thanks to you and all the other people who have contributed so much to making my mark schemes much better :smile:
Would you say 50 is a good A?
Original post by U-GradeStudent
Would you say 50 is a good A?

In most years, yes - but in 2014, it was one mark off an A :smile:
Hi everyone,

Okay so I'm just trying to estimate what my overall grade MIGHT be for Chemistry. I assume I got 32/75 for the C123 paper and 52/85 in the C456 paper and I got an A in my CAT.

So can anyone help me out by guessing what I might get? Thanks so much, it means a lot xo
Original post by Jiff
Hi everyone,

Okay so I'm just trying to estimate what my overall grade MIGHT be for Chemistry. I assume I got 32/75 for the C123 paper and 52/85 in the C456 paper and I got an A in my CAT.

So can anyone help me out by guessing what I might get? Thanks so much, it means a lot xo

do you know what mark you got in the controlled assessment?
do you know what mark you got in the controlled assessment?

I think I got a 41
Original post by Jiff
I think I got a 41

most likely a B overall, although you've probably done better than expected :smile:
most likely a B overall, although you've probably done better than expected :smile:

Ah okay, I really wanted an A :frown: But hopefully I have done better, thanks very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest