The Student Room Group

Latest YouGov polls - Remain back in lead by 1%

Scroll to see replies

I always heard polls have a wriggle of +-5% anyway so I'm not going to get too happy.. it's damned too close for comfort either way
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Surely they have far too much betting traffic for a few large bets to alter it much? The algorithms they use will just be responding to a big market of millions of transactions, so on some level, it does reflect sentiment.

The real question is whether the sentiment is right.

Most bets will be small, and I expect there may be weighting for larger bets, with traffic of I would guess only a few million a day at most I would have though a few massive bets could significantly change it, especially if there is expectation for a swing any way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Architecture-er
I always heard polls have a wriggle of +-5% anyway so I'm not going to get too happy.. it's damned too close for comfort either way

Each figure will have a margin of error of 2 or 3% yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Remain campaign has generally been...

Honest: 22%
Dishonest: 46%

Positive: 16%
Negative: 58%

(via YouGov)

The Leave campaign has generally been...

Honest: 26%
Dishonest: 43%

Positive: 27%
Negative: 46%

(via YouGov)
Leave is back ahead by 2% from latest yougov survey - 42% remain 44% leave 13% don't know.

Looks like their lead was shortlived
Original post by Proximo
Leave is back ahead by 2% from latest yougov survey - 42% remain 44% leave 13% don't know.

Looks like their lead was shortlived

I don't think it is statistically significant because of margin of error
Original post by Jammy Duel
Most bets will be small, and I expect there may be weighting for larger bets, with traffic of I would guess only a few million a day at most I would have though a few massive bets could significantly change it, especially if there is expectation for a swing any way

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you know. You're just guessing.
"I've got the morals, you've got the cynicism, let's make lots of money".

That kind of thing?

Thats fine by me.
Survation poll for IG at 13:30 here: http://www.ig.com/uk/live-video

Last survation poll had 3% lead for remain

I reckon if Remain has 4% lead or more than it's game over for leave campaign.
(edited 7 years ago)
51%-49% exc dks to remain, game on boys!
Original post by Sun_Bear
51%-49% exc dks to remain, game on boys!

You shold ignore polls that exclude the DK vote, pollsters worth their salt already apply turnout filters.

Thank god though, it does seem like it was a brief emotive boost for Remain with survation and Youguv both increasing the leave vote.

44-45 to remain from Survation today.
Original post by Rakas21
You shold ignore polls that exclude the DK vote, pollsters worth their salt already apply turnout filters.

Thank god though, it does seem like it was a brief emotive boost for Remain with survation and Youguv both increasing the leave vote.

If anything it's the other way around. Look at election analysts on twitter and poll of polls from say the times and they all use results that have dks excluded.

Edit: all pollsters release results showing results with and without dks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

I suspect these figures mean that Remain is on the straight path to victory. Internet and phone polls tend systematically to under-report various groups, particularly young people and pensioners. Anyway, we will see soon, but I suspect the underlying figures are something like 54:46 Remain or similar.
I suspect these figures mean that Remain is on the straight path to victory. Internet and phone polls tend systematically to under-report various groups, particularly young people and pensioners. Anyway, we will see soon, but I suspect the underlying figures are something like 54:46 Remain or similar.

That's because they assume that young people won't bother as much and pensioners are massively leave.

Both polls would give remain the win once DK breaks on the day, Leave to win either need to be around 48% or have a large lead. I suspect though that polling will move back towards last weeks polling which had Leave by the line though.

My instincts said it would be remain by 53% but polling in recent weeks has only gone one way until Saturday and even then Remain are polling only about 45%.

That's just not what the professional polling companies have been telling us. In the past week some pollsters have had to adjust their polling methods as they have officially announced that they have been over representing graduates. The polls released today and yesterday have shown everything but a straight line to victory for remain. The CEO of survation just said how it was 50-50 and it was 8 people in the suvation poll out of a sample of 800 which made the difference.
I don't think you know. You're just guessing.

Total EUref betting market is estimated at £20 million. It would take more than a few £25k bets to move that.

http://www.williamhillplc.com/media/newsroom/media-releases/2016/brexit-bets-to-bash-bookies/

(Full disclosure: I am not a betting expert and could be completely wrong on this :smile: )
people who want to remain r boring. live a little and take a risk ffs
Original post by gimplord4000
people who want to remain r boring. live a little and take a risk ffs

That's why there's a minimum voting age :biggrin:
Original post by Lazarus26
That's why there's a minimum voting age :biggrin:

there's isnt a minimum a voting age, but thety just dont count ur bote if ur under 16
Original post by gimplord4000
there's isnt a minimum a voting age, but thety just dont count ur bote if ur under 16

... hence minimum voting age...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending