The Student Room Group

Dating sites are sexist towards men and biased towards women.

I made a fake female account to see how easy it was for women. I got 62(!!) likes in a matter of minutes.

My account was obviously fake because I got several "catfish" messages from people - mostly women.

Dating sites are made for women.

It's a joke, they should be banned.

Scroll to see replies

I assume this is a troll?

Just because the societal expectation is, much as it always has been, for the men to do the chasing (or messaging in this case) and the women to be chased (or messaged), in no way means the odds are stacked against men or for women.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I made a fake female account to see how easy it was for women. I got 62(!!) likes in a matter of minutes.

My account was obviously fake because I got several "catfish" messages from people - mostly women.

I actually agree to some extent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I actually agree to some extent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I mean, by the same logic is life unfair and sexist in favour of women because you (presumably) don't get harassed and asked out by munters several times a day?

Because I suspect they'd be quite content to swap.

Don't get how this is sexist towards men. Did you use a really attractive woman aswell though?
Reply 5
Original post by Craig1998
Don't get how this is sexist towards men. Did you use a really attractive woman aswell though?

A pretty average woman.

If you're handsome and have a hot body it's good for you as a man
Why should they be banned? It's not like the site's discriminating, it's just market forces at work. There are normally far more men than women on dating sites, therefore men have to stand out in order to be sucessful whilst most women can pick and choose from the much larger pool of men.
Reply 8
Original post by Magic Member
If you're handsome and have a hot body it's good for you as a man

Handsome and fit men don't need to use dating sites... they probably have women lining up in real life.
Reply 9
Original post by Saoirse:3
Why should they be banned? It's not like the site's discriminating, it's just market forces at work. There are normally far more men than women on dating sites, therefore men have to stand out in order to be sucessful whilst most women can pick and choose from the much larger pool of men.

Well it should be kept at 50-50 then.
Well it should be kept at 50-50 then.

How?
Tbf, he has got a point, I made an account on a dating website for the lulz, didn't even bother putting a picture up and I must have got at least a 100 messages altogether
Handsome and fit men don't need to use dating sites... they probably have women lining up in real life.

You can meet tonnes of girls online with zero effort for hook ups that way, whereas IRL you can only meet one at a time you have to take them out for dinner
"Men are thirsty af and beg it off women, therefore women should be banned."

Original post by Zargabaath

OK fine.

There should be ammendments.
the odds are always stacked against men in these situations. Dating sites don't create the model, they jut let it play out.
Original post by Saoirse:3
How?

Surely the site can regulate the numbers.
Original post by Zargabaath

Besides, I'm saying the SITES should be banned.
How many were dickpics though?

More seriously, how many would you consider even remotely suitable? 1? 2?

I'm not entirely convinced having hundreds of poor options is superior to having few to no poor options. It's the decent options you're interested in.
Surely the site can regulate the numbers.

You may want to read up on the concept of mate choice. In humans, alongside a good majority of other species, females have evolved to be the "choosier" sex when it comes to finding mates. This happens because it provides an advantage to fitness. If most males were roughly equal and provided a good chance to sucessfully raise offspring, this wouldn't occur: it would be more advantageous for females to mate with pretty much any decent male they can find, much as males tend to. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Some males historically were far better than others at proving protection from predators and secure territory, thanks to the greater reliance of that sex on physical aptitude (which varies significantly between individuals) and the hierarchies they're involved in (which we see in the modern day as "alpha" vs "beta" males). In addition, whilst some prove to be good parents, many do not provide adequate care for their offspring, since unlike females who have to go through pregnancy and childbirth they are not forced to make such a contribution to re-produce. The result of all this is that males will tend to adopt a strategy of "impregnate as many females as possible", whilst females adopt a strategy of "find one good male to raise a family with". The consequence? A situation where females know they're not going to be short of potential partners, and get to choose between them, whilst males have to work harder. It is, in a way, the male counterpart to all the work a female has to do once she actually becomes pregnant, not to mention after childbirth if the male is not chosen well and does not provide security or parental care.

You are, in effect, demanding that dating sites somehow use regulation to change human nature. That simply will not work - you can't force women to join and be genuinely interested, and any males you ban from such a site a) obviously go from a small chance of finding a partner to none, not making it any easier for males on the whole and b) will simply go to another site with different criteria. It's not sexism, it's biology, and Mother Nature has got it under control without any need for interference or regulation :smile:

EDIT: And asking for the sites to be banned outright is attacking the symptons rather than the cause. This same situation will still play out in every situation where people try to attract a mate. You'd just be moving the problem over to whatever other way people use to try and find partners once they're banned. Your argument isn't really with dating sites, it's with biology, and there seems little point in arguing with something you can't change.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending