The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had two cats once, when they got stressed out one pissed in corners of the house, the other **** in them instead.
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
I had two cats once, when they got stressed out one pissed in corners of the house, the other **** in them instead.

Exactly my point, and to make things worse these animals get old and start to smell and even get ill.
Once an animal ignores its house trained skills it becomes a nuisance, and it is upsetting when people let their dogs lick other peoples faces.
I've lived with people who shed, drool and struggle to hit the toilet while pissing.

I'm unsure what your point is?

Also you are aware you can wash animals right? They won't melt.
Reply 4
Original post by Elivercury
I've lived with people who shed, drool and struggle to hit the toilet while pissing.

I'm unsure what your point is?

Also you are aware you can wash animals right? They won't melt.

My point is, that animals are more prone to being more filthy as they're unaware self awareness and grooming.
You cannot wash an animal everyday, now?
Original post by Blue_Mason
My point is, that animals are more prone to being more filthy as they're unaware self awareness and grooming.

Why can't you wash the animal every day? I don't really know why you would, as it's wholly excessive, but if that's what you wish to do there is nothing stopping you. Plenty of animals love a bath.

You also seem to have grouped animals into one single category when there are a wide range available. For example there are plenty of dogs that don't shed as they have hair rather then fur. Likewise pretty much all animals self clean to a certain extent, but some are very focused on it and never require washing.

Ultimately though if your immune system is crap enough to be impacted by a dog that has rolled in the mud a bit, I strongly suggest you invest in a plastic bubble before going outside. I also strongly recommend you never have children which are both more unhygenic and carry more problematic germs than household pets do.

The most shocking thing about this is the fact that you think animals don't groom themselves, and that somehow grooming requires self-awareness. :rofl:
Reply 7
Why can't you wash the animal every day? I don't really know why you would, as it's wholly excessive, but if that's what you wish to do there is nothing stopping you. Plenty of animals love a bath.

You also seem to have grouped animals into one single category when there are a wide range available. For example there are plenty of dogs that don't shed as they have hair rather then fur. Likewise pretty much all animals self clean to a certain extent, but some are very focused on it and never require washing.

Ultimately though if your immune system is crap enough to be impacted by a dog that has rolled in the mud a bit, I strongly suggest you invest in a plastic bubble before going outside. I also strongly recommend you never have children which are both more unhygenic and carry more problematic germs than household pets do.

But you can instill and educate a child about keeping up their hygiene and they will understand as they get older, but with lets say a dog, you run in to all sorts of issues.
I need scienfific proof that says a dog has less germs,bacteria and parasites then a small child

Original post by Twinpeaks
The most shocking thing about this is the fact that you think animals don't groom themselves, and that somehow grooming requires self-awareness. :rofl:

Licking yourself is not really grooming now is it?
It does
But you can instill and educate a child about keeping up their hygiene and they will understand as they get older, but with lets say a dog, you run in to all sorts of issues.
I need scienfific proof that says a dog has less germs,bacteria and parasites then a small child

It does

By what age? 8? 10? Not to mention once they become a teenager that'll likely go straight out the window. Some dogs only live ~10 years.

And what do you mean scientific proof? It's pretty obvious that humans carry human focused germs, bacteria and parasites which will be a lot more hazardous to human health than a dog who hasn't washed its ******* (which you do not have to go near).

I suspect you've no friends with children, as all the parents I know with young children must spend at least 40-50% of the time sick with some sort of common illness.

Incidentally who says licking isn't grooming? It's cleaning the dirt and pushing hair/fur/feathers back into place. That's pretty much the definition of grooming, unless you expect them to get a perm?
Reply 9
By what age? 8? 10? Not to mention once they become a teenager that'll likely go straight out the window. Some dogs only live ~10 years.

And what do you mean scientific proof? It's pretty obvious that humans carry human focused germs, bacteria and parasites which will be a lot more hazardous to human health than a dog who hasn't washed its ******* (which you do not have to go near).

I suspect you've no friends with children, as all the parents I know with young children must spend at least 40-50% of the time sick with some sort of common illness.

Incidentally who says licking isn't grooming? It's cleaning the dirt and pushing hair/fur/feathers back into place. That's pretty much the definition of grooming, unless you expect them to get a perm?

Indeed I do not, and having kids at my age is appalling, but back on subject as do you think it is hygienic to share a bed with a dog?
Those parents must have poor immune system
Indeed I do not, and having kids at my age is appalling, but back on subject as do you think it is hygienic to share a bed with a dog?
Those parents must have poor immune system

Yes, obviously every single parents I've ever encountered must just happen to have a poor immune system, rather than it just being the simple case that children are germ factories.

I would suggest you inform yourself rather then just making ridiculous assumptions. Likewise it has long been proven that having a pet, siblings and generally normal household (read: not sanitised to the point zero germs exist) is actually positive for children's immune system while growing up.

How is the subject about having a dog in a bed? You're referring to a different topic. This is the one you made about pets being unhygienic in the household, which they are not.

Incidentally I have already stated in the other thread that I would not/do not let our dog share our bed at night, but this is purely from a training/behaviour standpoint of the dog sleeping in their crate. I've no qualms with a dog being in contact with my bedding through paranoia over hygiene.

It does

Actually licking yourself does count as grooming?

I'm sorry but with this and your other posts in that thread about the sexism quiz, you really are coming across ignorant.

All animals groom. Birds, cats and dogs. This is independent of the debate of self-awareness in animals. You do not need to be self-aware to clean yourself. grooming can be just as instinctive as catching prey.

https://www.petfinder.com/cats/cat-grooming/cats-meticulous-nature/
Original post by Twinpeaks
Actually licking yourself does count as grooming?

I'm sorry but with this and your other posts in that thread about the sexism quiz, you really are coming across ignorant.

All animals groom. Birds, cats and dogs. This is independent of the debate of self-awareness in animals. You do not need to be self-aware to clean yourself. grooming can be just as instinctive as catching prey.

https://www.petfinder.com/cats/cat-grooming/cats-meticulous-nature/

Cats are more cleaner, if compared to dogs, but certain dog breeds are smply unhygenic as they shed fur, drool more and they can lick a humans face.

Yes, obviously every single parents I've ever encountered must just happen to have a poor immune system, rather than it just being the simple case that children are germ factories.

I would suggest you inform yourself rather then just making ridiculous assumptions. Likewise it has long been proven that having a pet, siblings and generally normal household (read: not sanitised to the point zero germs exist) is actually positive for children's immune system while growing up.

How is the subject about having a dog in a bed? You're referring to a different topic. This is the one you made about pets being unhygienic in the household, which they are not.

Incidentally I have already stated in the other thread that I would not/do not let our dog share our bed at night, but this is purely from a training/behaviour standpoint of the dog sleeping in their crate. I've no qualms with a dog being in contact with my bedding through paranoia over hygiene.

I am not ignorant, I just have a strong opinion
Bed sharing is quite common within the pet owning community and is apart of my question.
You are totally ignorant if you think that your pet is going to make you more ill than a child will.

Out of curiosity, what evidence do you have for pets being unhygienic? Do you actually have any evidence other than "eww hair and saliva"?

Are there rampant strains of cross dog/human diseases I have never heard of?

It has been proven historically that they provide a benefit to the immune system, so that's positive (yay science).

Just because your opinion is "strong" does not mean it isn't ignorant.
You are totally ignorant if you think that your pet is going to make you more ill than a child will.

Out of curiosity, what evidence do you have for pets being unhygienic? Do you actually have any evidence other than "eww hair and saliva"?

Are there rampant strains of cross dog/human diseases I have never heard of?

It has been proven historically that they provide a benefit to the immune system, so that's positive (yay science).

Just because your opinion is "strong" does not mean it isn't ignorant.

Example 1, okay lets say we a large family dog.
Said dog can lick a number of surfaces that a human cannot, unless said human is mentally ill.
Dog bowel has a number of bacteria.
Dog rubs its nose on a number of surfaces.
Dog drools saliva, and we all know how much bacteria can contain.
You have to be more specific, with the statement about improving the immune system, you know include known factors.
Are we talking jsut cats and dogs?
Example 1, okay lets say we a large family dog.
Said dog can lick a number of surfaces that a human cannot, unless said human is mentally ill.
Dog bowel has a number of bacteria.
Dog rubs its nose on a number of surfaces.
Dog drools saliva, and we all know how much bacteria can contain.
You have to be more specific, with the statement about improving the immune system, you know include known factors.
Are we talking jsut cats and dogs?

I'm curious, do you have any idea just how many millions (or billions) of bacteria are around you daily?

Don't snog your dog and you'll be fine.

I refuse to run around citing references for pets improving immune system when you've not managed to put together a single reason why pets are unhygienic and are generally talking absolute mince. Try giving it a google.
I'm curious, do you have any idea just how many millions (or billions) of bacteria are around you daily?

Don't snog your dog and you'll be fine.

I refuse to run around citing references for pets improving immune system when you've not managed to put together a single reason why pets are unhygienic and are generally talking absolute mince. Try giving it a google.

Please, I would never own a dog as I would want my house to be clean and to feel comfortable.

http://www.livescience.com/34612-dogs-boost-microbe-diversity.html

http://www.2ndchance.info/zoonoses.htm

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/advice/g595/pet-health-risks/?

Take your time and read!
Please, I would never own a dog as I would want my house to be clean and to feel comfortable.

http://www.livescience.com/34612-dogs-boost-microbe-diversity.html

http://www.2ndchance.info/zoonoses.htm

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/advice/g595/pet-health-risks/?

Take your time and read!

Your aware your first link proves my point right? Literally the first paragraph.

"Your loyal pooch may be bringing a whole world of bacteria into your home but don't panic. Research suggests that exposure to a wide variety of microbes may be good for us."

I'd suggest you have far too much time on your hands wanting a "clean house", but then I remembered that you'll expect your subservient woman to do the work.

It's actually probably a kindness you don't get a dog and cause her more unnecessary work.
Your aware your first link proves my point right? Literally the first paragraph.

"Your loyal pooch may be bringing a whole world of bacteria into your home but don't panic. Research suggests that exposure to a wide variety of microbes may be good for us."

I'd suggest you have far too much time on your hands wanting a "clean house", but then I remembered that you'll expect your subservient woman to do the work.

It's actually probably a kindness you don't get a dog and cause her more unnecessary work.

Yes may, but you forgot to mention my other links that prove my point, what?
Who does not want a clean house?
Of course I would want my partner to do her part, but I am not a caveman, but women are much cleaner on average.
It does not hurt to ask and get an idea on what people think?
I in your culture dogs are expected to live outside and they serve a propose and that is to guard

Latest