The Student Room Group

can someome help me with emailing my cv

basically i'm about to email my CV to a café in my area but I cant find the name of the cafe's manager anywhere, so I don't know who to address it to?
anyone know what I should do?
Original post by BethM98
basically i'm about to email my CV to a café in my area but I cant find the name of the cafe's manager anywhere, so I don't know who to address it to?

If you don't know the email address, you can't email it. If you have the email address but just not the name, simply start the email

Dear Manager,

Original post by BethM98

Begin with "Dear Sir"
Original post by Platopus
Begin with "Dear Sir"

That's slightly presumptive the Manager is male though!
Original post by threeportdrift
That's slightly presumptive the Manager is male though!

It is the accepted term of address to use when you do not know whether the person you are talking to is male or female. Just etiquette.

You could also say "Dear Sir or Madam"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Platopus
It is the accepted term of address to use when you do not know whether the person you are talking to is male or female. Just etiquette.

You could also say "Dear Sir or Madam"

You will find that being gender specific is very much not contemporary etiquette, women no longer accept such an obvious, historical and hierarchical term. You are quite right that Dear Sir or Madam is acceptable, but it is also quite formal. For an organisation that won't have a formal atmosphere, will almost certainly be on first name terms, a small team working for a single manager, then Dear Manager is a more normal, natural approach. it simply sits more easily with the reader, who will think of themselves as a manager, but probably not a sir or madam.
Original post by threeportdrift
You will find that being gender specific is very much not contemporary etiquette, women no longer accept such an obvious, historical and hierarchical term. You are quite right that Dear Sir or Madam is acceptable, but it is also quite formal. For an organisation that won't have a formal atmosphere, will almost certainly be on first name terms, a small team working for a single manager, then Dear Manager is a more normal, natural approach. it simply sits more easily with the reader, who will think of themselves as a manager, but probably not a sir or madam.

Ok...
Phone or go into the cafe and ask someone working there what the managers name is?
You could always just use "To whom it may concern"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending