The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE AQA Paper 1 (Unofficial mark scheme)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chittesh14
I don't know. I always revise for the exam 2 hours before at 10:00 night and then I end up revising till 1:00 but only do 1 hour out of the 3 hours -_- and then wake up early alongside with sleeping late. Too tired - such a lazy guy, don't even bother reading the questions properly because I can't be asked. Idk I'm like the biggest idiot - who doesn't read questions lol.
I am officially the biggest retard. Hence why, I have to change proper.

Hm...maybe it's tiredness. Perhaps if you went to bed earlier and woke up earlier, you'd have time to revise in the morning instead (closer to the exam so it's fresh), and you'd also have more time to wake up properly. I'd definitely suggest taking your time to read questions properly, as even if it means you run out of time slightly at the end, you're more likely to pick up more marks for doing more questions correctly :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Hm...maybe it's tiredness. Perhaps if you went to bed earlier and woke up earlier, you'd have time to revise in the morning instead (closer to the exam so it's fresh), and you'd also have more time to wake up properly. I'd definitely suggest taking your time to read questions properly, as even if it means you run out of time slightly at the end, you're more likely to pick up more marks for doing more questions correctly :smile:

Yeah I know, I'm just a numpty.
I finished with 30 minutes to spare and just counted my marks and dozed off.
Anyway, it's all about Friday now - hopefully going to smash that proper lol.
Original post by Chittesh14
Yeah I know, I'm just a numpty.
I finished with 30 minutes to spare and just counted my marks and dozed off.
Anyway, it's all about Friday now - hopefully going to smash that proper lol.

I'm sure you will, good luck :h:

Thank you :smile:

I think I only got 30 ish marks :frown: There goes my A^. If I get at least 85 on the calc paper then I can get an A*. Do you think the grade boundaries for an A* will be above 120 this year?
I think I did something similar. I differentiated and found that the stationary points were at -1 and 3. I then differentiated to find the gradient of the tangent to the curve at the point (0,k), and got -3. Therefore I also found that the tangent met the curve again at the point (3,0). I then substituted that into the formula y-y₁=m(x-x₁) to get k = 9 :smile:

Both methods are completely fine, when I was taught it I was taught it the way you did it but I completely forgot it in the exam so I thought rearranging was the next best thing and I came out with the same answer
Original post by guy321
I think I only got 30 ish marks :frown: There goes my A^. If I get at least 85 on the calc paper then I can get an A*. Do you think the grade boundaries for an A* will be above 120 this year?

I think you'll still be able to get an A*. Last year's boundary was 111 and I think yesterday's paper was similar in difficulty to that, but I think it might be around 115 this year.
Original post by mattedwards8972
Both methods are completely fine, when I was taught it I was taught it the way you did it but I completely forgot it in the exam so I thought rearranging was the next best thing and I came out with the same answer

Ah good. At least you got the right answer, that's all that matters :smile:
Ah good. At least you got the right answer, that's all that matters :smile:

I think I'm aiming for an A*, I'm guessing I got between 45-60 marks maybe depending on where I pick up marks on questions I know for sure I didn't get the answer fully right.
I think I'm aiming for an A*, I'm guessing I got between 45-60 marks maybe depending on where I pick up marks on questions I know for sure I didn't get the answer fully right.

You could still get an A^ with that if you really worked hard! But an A* is a fantastic grade - especially in further maths! And yeah, you'll probably pick up method marks in some places so you should be good :smile:
You could still get an A^ with that if you really worked hard! But an A* is a fantastic grade - especially in further maths! And yeah, you'll probably pick up method marks in some places so you should be good :smile:

I was only expecting something like a B two months ago, so to be expecting an A* at this point is achievement in itself, but that was only after I hammered past papers
I was only expecting something like a B two months ago, so to be expecting an A* at this point is achievement in itself, but that was only after I hammered past papers

That's amazing then! I wanted a B at the start of the year as I was really in confident with it, I got a B in my mock as well. But then I started to properly understand everything and it all clicked with me - now I really want that A^!!

It is a massive achievement to even get to this point, so well done! :biggrin:
I'm sure you'll get at least an A*
Trig HARD.png
WARNING Hard question. Only hardcore A^^ student should attempt WARNING
That's amazing then! I wanted a B at the start of the year as I was really in confident with it, I got a B in my mock as well. But then I started to properly understand everything and it all clicked with me - now I really want that A^!!

It is a massive achievement to even get to this point, so well done! :biggrin:
I'm sure you'll get at least an A*

I hope so, I really want to study maths at uni in a few years time after college, I'm sure you'll do fantastically too :smile:
I hope so, I really want to study maths at uni in a few years time after college, I'm sure you'll do fantastically too :smile:

If you want to study maths at a top university, look at doing STEP and start preparing early for it. A-levels are a doddle compared to STEP.
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/about-step/
It's the best advice I could give.
Original post by Ano123
Trig HARD.png
WARNING Hard question. Only hardcore A^^ student should attempt WARNING

1) cross multiply to get cos^2=2-2sin^3x
2)sub in cos^2x=1-sin^2x to get 1-sin^2x=2-sin^3x
3)rearranging gives sin^3x-sin^2x-1=0
4) let sinx=x so that x^3-x^2-1=0
5) through trial and error discover x-1 is a factor and through polynomial division show that
X^3-x^2-1=(x-1)(2x^2+x+1)=0
X=1 cannot be a solution since cos^-1(1)=0 so we would be dividing by 0 in the original expression
Furthermore no values of solutions to (2x^2+x+1)=0 since the discrimination b^2-bac is less than 0
Therefore no real solutions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I want to do maths at uni too! Thank you, good luck for paper 2 :smile:
Original post by Joelo00
1) cross multiply to get cos^2=2-2sin^3x
2)sub in cos^2x=1-sin^2x to get 1-sin^2x=2-sin^3x
3)rearranging gives sin^3x-sin^2x-1=0
4) let sinx=x so that x^3-x^2-1=0
5) through trial and error discover x-1 is a factor and through polynomial division show that
X^3-x^2-1=(x-1)(2x^2+x+1)=0
X=1 cannot be a solution since cos^-1(1)=0 so we would be dividing by 0 in the original expression
Furthermore no values of solutions to (2x^2+x+1)=0 since the discrimination b^2-bac is less than 0
Therefore no real solutions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must have been too easy.
Oh I want to do maths at uni too! Thank you, good luck for paper 2 :smile:

Good luck to you too mate :smile:
[QUOTE="Ano123;65979261"]Must have been too easy.[/QUOTE

Do you have any other questions like this? Just want to practice for paper 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending