The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

does anyone have a list of all the equations we actually need to learn?
Reply 1861
Original post by blueberry389
does anyone have a list of all the equations we actually need to learn?

have a look on physicsandmathstutor.com chemistry revision section. They have a list there
How prepared are you all for tomorrow?
I hope you are feeling well now :h:
Good luck for tomorrow and Thursday! If you don't mind me asking, what grades are you aiming for in chem?
Original post by The Informant
How has everyone learned the colours and equations?

Through repetition.

There's no good mnemonics for the complex ions because there are just too many to remember - everybody has their own little methods. You are better off remembering which ions are 2+ (Cu, Co, Fe) and which ones are 3+ (Al, Cr, Fe) then remembering which ones have special reactions with NH3 (Cu, Cr, Co) and the ones that have special reactions with OH- etc.
Yes I agree with you. I was so confident about nailing CHEM4 but when I gave the paper I felt like killing myself! Let's hope tomorrow is not too hard! And yeah, BIOL5 better be good this time too! Lol!
i come to this page after finishing my maths c3, which was stupid hard compared to 2015 backwards, knowing ive done no revision for this in the past 7 weeks due to being rimmed by as resits.i HOPE i can can remember all this in one day.

if the papers as hard as chem4 ill eat my paper in the exam
Original post by shamk123
i come to this page after finishing my maths c3, which was stupid hard compared to 2015 backwards, knowing ive done no revision for this in the past 7 weeks due to being rimmed by as resits.i HOPE i can can remember all this in one day.

if the papers as hard as chem4 ill eat my paper in the exam

lool this is literally me
i need 100 in this paper or i've got no chance of a decent A after chem 4
What exactly do we have to know about metal extraction for this unit because I kinda forgot my AS stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi guys does anyone know how to get round thermodynamics im really struggling with it especially with the rearranging the born haber cycle ?

thanks in advance
Original post by The Informant
How has everyone learned the colours and equations?

The only way you really can learn is through repetition - it gets very boring but on some past papers there have been like 12 marks for this section which can easily boost a grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymous-97
hi guys does anyone know how to get round thermodynamics im really struggling with it especially with the rearranging the born haber cycle ?

thanks in advance

Try to remember that enthalpy of formation equals the rest of the cycle and then can work out the values and work out the differences

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 26december
Try to remember that enthalpy of formation equals the rest of the cycle and then can work out the values and work out the differences

Posted from TSR Mobile

when talking about [Al(oh)]4-, do you write it as that or as [Al(OH)4(H20)2]4- ?
Original post by nutcase13
when talking about [Al(oh)]4-, do you write it as that or as [Al(OH)4(H20)2]4- ?

It's not 4- it only has 1 minus
[Al(H2O)2(OH)4]- with XS OH-

For others though I always put 2+, 2-, 3+ etc. outside the bracket

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1874
Original post by rolla01
[Cr(OH)6]^3– --> CrO4^2- + 2H2O + 2H+ + 3e- x2
H2O2 + 2e- --> 2OH- x3

these are the two half equations

3H2O2 + 2[Cr(OH)6]^3– --> 6OH- + 2CrO4^2- + 4H2O + 4H+

The OH- and H+ cancel out to make H2O, so 4H+ + 4OH- --> 4H2O
3H2O2 + 2[Cr(OH)6]^3– --> 2OH- + 2CrO4^2- + 8H2O

Hopefully this helped, if you still don't understand here is a useful link: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/redox/equations2.html

brilliant thank you! i forgot that you can form water with the H+ and OH-
I think it is supposed to be [Al(OH)4(H2O)2]-. At least, that's how I've always written it.

Also, I'm unclear on the 'why' of substitution reactions. For example, [Cu(H2O)6]2+ reacts with an excess of ammonia, it forms [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]2+. When my class asked our Chemistry teacher why that happens and why aren't all the H2O ligands replaced, all she said was "It just does". Can someone explain it, please??
Original post by 26december
It's not 4- it only has 1 minus
[Al(H2O)2(OH)4]- with XS OH-

For others though I always put 2+, 2-, 3+ etc. outside the bracket

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah thanks
Does aluminium oxide or silicion dioxide have the higher melting point?
Original post by thehollowcrown
Does aluminium oxide or silicion dioxide have the higher melting point?

aluminium oxide
When they ask why a coloured ion is formed do you say the d-electrons absorb visible light or white light? I've always said it's visible light but then in one of the 2010 papers it said white light so now i'm not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending