The Student Room Group

Dating sites are sexist towards men and biased towards women.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Surely the site can regulate the numbers.

How would this help? There is social expectation that men message and women wait to be messaged. Do you suggest we make a 95% female to 5% male website to balance this out? Or perhaps force women to message a guy every week to stay a member?

It's just ridiculous.

Why does it bother you anyway? As you said yourself, if you're hot and fit you don't need dating websites.
Reply 21
Original post by Elivercury
Really? I mean, by the same logic is life unfair and sexist in favour of women because you (presumably) don't get harassed and asked out by munters several times a day?

Because I suspect they'd be quite content to swap.

What I mean is on dating sites that operate in a similar fashion to Tinder where people just go for it based on looks; the women tend to be pickier, meaning that average looking blokes often lose out where they wouldn't in real life.
How many were dickpics though?

More seriously, how many would you consider even remotely suitable? 1? 2?

I'm not entirely convinced having hundreds of poor options is superior to having few to no poor options. It's the decent options you're interested in.

No d***pics surprisingly

Tbf, not a lot, mainly because I stated a preference for my own faith and most of them didn't fit that. Had I been an atheist I would have been open to more options

It depends what you're after, I suppose. A woman who's just interested in getting laid is spoilt for choice. If you want a relationship I guess it would be exhausting having to date all those men to discern which ones you may like

Oh, Oxbridge have got back to me, I'll PM you about what they said so as not to derail the thread
Original post by Andy98
What I mean is on dating sites that operate in a similar fashion to Tinder where people just go for it based on looks; the women tend to be pickier, meaning that average looking blokes often lose out where they wouldn't in real life.

If men are finding they can't express their qualities on dating sites, the solution is to go out there and find some other way to showcase themselves to a partner. Yes, there's often an emphasis on physical attractiveness, but that's only natural and isn't by any means an illigitimate way to choose a partner. There's no need to ban sites just because they don't work for everybody: there's no obligation to use them and it doesn't really solve everything. Some guys are more attractive than others - that's life!
Original post by Andy98

I mean I would argue both genders are pickier on internet dating due to the highly visual nature of it (particularly tinder). I've got a friend who's 5'4 and not the best looking, yet he seems to be unhappy to swipe right on any woman who isn't on par with Keira Knightly.

I'd also state that many other dating forums other than tinder place a lot more emphasis on profiles (although I don't buy compatibility metrics in the slightest).

I'd agree it's more difficult to date while being average when you're suddenly compared to everyone in your city rather than just the bar, but that's just the nature of internet dating and it cuts both ways.
OK fine.

There should be ammendments.

Tbf that's just human nature. There's never going to be a universal effort for men to stop being so thristy towards women so we'll have to just deal with it

Besides, I'm saying the SITES should be banned.

Oh my bad, you could just stop using them tho
Reply 26
I mean I would argue both genders are pickier on internet dating due to the highly visual nature of it (particularly tinder). I've got a friend who's 5'4 and not the best looking, yet he seems to be unhappy to swipe right on any woman who isn't on par with Keira Knightly.

I'd also state that many other dating forums other than tinder place a lot more emphasis on profiles (although I don't buy compatibility metrics in the slightest).

I'd agree it's more difficult to date while being average when you're suddenly compared to everyone in your city rather than just the bar, but that's just the nature of internet dating and it cuts both ways.

OK, well as of yet I don't know what would make me swipe left...

Original post by Saoirse:3
If men are finding they can't express their qualities on dating sites, the solution is to go out there and find some other way to showcase themselves to a partner. Yes, there's often an emphasis on physical attractiveness, but that's only natural and isn't by any means an illigitimate way to choose a partner. There's no need to ban sites just because they don't work for everybody: there's no obligation to use them and it doesn't really solve everything. Some guys are more attractive than others - that's life!

That's why I said I only agreed to an extent. Banning it would be silly and illogical.
Ah yes, women have a distinct advantage if all they want is to get laid. But then that's no different from "real life", I've seen less attractive women that have managed to get laid several times a week by new men while similarly attractive men struggle to get once a year.

When trying to find someone for an actual relationship and potentially for the long term, I'd argue the clutter is worse than just having a few quality options. Far easier for decent candidates to get buried.

You can PM away.
Original post by Andy98

Excessive facial hair or petting a drugged tiger are two I would recommend.

Actually, anyone who looks overly sporty/athletic. Cba with that. But you do you.
Original post by Andy98

That's why I said I only agreed to an extent. Banning it would be silly and illogical.

Indeed. I get why people dislike them, certainly, but more than anything it seems to be misplaced anger that stems from this feeling of male entitlment - that they have some kind of right to a woman.
I assume this is a troll?

Just because the societal expectation is, much as it always has been, for the men to do the chasing (or messaging in this case) and the women to be chased (or messaged), in no way means the odds are stacked against men or for women.

Its obviously not a troll, idiot.
Women using tinder and other sites have it on EASY mode
Men have it on hardmode, and thats just fact.

>you girls will actually try to disagree with me on this one
I have literally got a bio on mine and as a guy have had well over 40 messages without chasing
Maybe men should be more selective then.
I made a fake female account to see how easy it was for women. I got 62(!!) likes in a matter of minutes.

My account was obviously fake because I got several "catfish" messages from people - mostly women.

Dating sites are made for women.

It's a joke, they should be banned.

Made for women? They are made for men tbh in the hope thye cna find a woman. There are always many more men than women looking hence your high number of requests. Boo hoo for you, though. More outrage next time.
Reply 34
Original post by Saoirse:3
Indeed. I get why people dislike them, certainly, but more than anything it seems to be misplaced anger that stems from this feeling of male entitlment - that they have some kind of right to a woman.

Yeah, I don't get that entitlement ********

Excessive facial hair or petting a drugged tiger are two I would recommend.

Actually, anyone who looks overly sporty/athletic. Cba with that. But you do you.

Meh
Original post by BirdIsWord

It was a ridiculous first post, is that not usually the sign of a troll? Anyway.

A) I'm male and have been very successful with online dating, so yes I disagree.

B) "easymode" means getting hundreds of messages from 1-4/10's and so called "beta males" (a term I loath btw), which is hardly very helpful when you're trying to find the 10's.

I stand by having a handful of messages from decent prospects is far superior to being bombarded with chaff that hides the wheat.

Of course I am specifically referring to relationships. If all you want is to bang, it's obviously far easier for women, exactly the same as it is in real life.

Shall we start a thread about how pulling in a bar it set to easymode for women but hardmode for men also? Perhaps we can have a group cry.
Original post by jamesthehustler
I have literally got a bio on mine and as a guy have had well over 40 messages without chasing

Who'd have thought that being interesting would work eh?

Unless you're a Brad Pitt lookalike that is, in which case it's probably that.
Original post by BirdIsWord

Not disagreeing with you. Just saying "So ****ing what?"
Tries online dating and doesn't get any luck
Sets up fake account pretending to be woman and gets loads of messages
Goes on TSR to complain about online dating sites being sexist

Is this the "alpha male" behaviour meninists like to talk about so often....
Original post by keturah
Maybe men should be more selective then.

Pretty much this. It seems that a lot of guys aren't very selective when it comes to women (if they're just looking for sex), and when transposed to online dating, with thousands of women at their fingertips, they go mad, with the result being women's inboxes rapidly filling up.

As a women, it must be quite daunting having to deal with such a deluge of messages. How many of them are genuine, compared to something like "hey bby u wunt some ****"? From someone at least somewhat local (i.e. not the other side of the country) and in their age range?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending