The Student Room Group

What happens if you give more points than they specifically ask for?

Specifically in Edexcel IGCSE science (physics): they had 2 questions, in one they asked for 2 reasons and I gave 3, later on they asked for 3 and I gave 4. If one of them is incorrect but the rest are correct, do I lose a mark?
They mark your points in order. Say if the question specifically asked for 2 points and you gave three, they Mark the first two points you've written in your response. The third point is not taken into account whether it's right or wrong.
Reply 2
Nothing. They cant drop your marks for writing extra, but i assume that if you write more than needed the examiner will try pick on the one you got wrong. I always write extra just incase lol
Reply 3
Original post by Evilstr99
They mark your points in order. Say if the question specifically asked for 2 points and you gave three, they Mark the first two points you've written in your response. The third point is not taken into account whether it's right or wrong.

hmm
But in hindsight, it depends on the exam board. I personally myself have never got into this situation yet but this is the likely scenario.
Reply 5
Original post by Evilstr99
But in hindsight, it depends on the exam board. I personally myself have never got into this situation yet but this is the likely scenario.

i've done it for every exam where i wasn't sure lol
Original post by HateOCR
Nothing. They cant drop your marks for writing extra, but i assume that if you write more than needed the examiner will try pick on the one you got wrong. I always write extra just incase lol

In fact, if you read carefully on the opening pages of the OCR marking scheme they do actually state that any more than the specified amount of answers required will be looked at and if there are any additional WRONG or INCORRECT answers -- one mark is deducted for every extra incorrect response.

Now OP you do Edexcel so I'd have a look on their marking scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Username1502
In fact, if you read carefully on the opening pages of the OCR marking scheme they do actually state that any more than the specified amount of answers required will be looked at and if there are any additional WRONG or INCORRECT answers -- one mark is deducted for every extra incorrect response.

Now OP you do Edexcel so I'd have a look on their marking scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't say anything :/, I also did this for CIE so I'll check theirs too.
Original post by nega166
Specifically in Edexcel IGCSE science (physics): they had 2 questions, in one they asked for 2 reasons and I gave 3, later on they asked for 3 and I gave 4. If one of them is incorrect but the rest are correct, do I lose a mark?

Some exam boards do negative marking. This means that, if they ask for 2 points and you give 2 correct points and 1 incorrect point, they will only award you 1 mark (whatever order you give these points in).

Most exams boards however, particularly for GCSE, practise positive marking. This means that if they ask for 2 points and you give 2 correct points and one incorrect point, they will ignore the incorrect point and award you 2 marks (whatever the order you give these points in).

Now, I took AS level geography with Edexcel last year and that was marked "positively" rather than negatively. So, my best best is that your IGCSEs will also be marked in the same way.
Reply 9
Original post by Platopus
Some exam boards do negative marking. This means that, if they ask for 2 points and you give 2 correct points and 1 incorrect point, they will only award you 1 mark (whatever order you give these points in).

Most exams boards however, particularly for GCSE, practise positive marking. This means that if they ask for 2 points and you give 2 correct points and one incorrect point, they will ignore the incorrect point and award you 2 marks (whatever the order you give these points in).

Now, I took AS level geography with Edexcel last year and that was marked "positively" rather than negatively. So, my best best is that your IGCSEs will also be marked in the same way.

I just checked CIE, they say "mark the 2 best points" so I hope that Edexcel will do the same: thanks for the reassurance
Original post by nega166

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.52.46.png

This is from an edexcel science mark scheme and i do edexcel for most my subjects and this applies to every qualification they offer.

hope this helps
Reply 11
Original post by chrlhyms
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.52.46.png

This is from an edexcel science mark scheme and i do edexcel for most my subjects and this applies to every qualification they offer.

hope this helps

yeah I read this and wasn't sure if that applied to what I was asking for. I hope it does though because I did this for like 5 subjects and it could make or break my A*s lol
Original post by nega166
yeah I read this and wasn't sure if that applied to what I was asking for. I hope it does though because I did this for like 5 subjects and it could make or break my A*s lol

i know what you're talking about and if it said 'describe one' they will mark positively meaning the thing in which you did put which was correct would get the marks, thats my understanding of 'mark positively' anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by chrlhyms
i know what you're talking about and if it said 'describe one' they will mark positively meaning the thing in which you did put which was correct would get the marks, thats my understanding of 'mark positively' anyway.

ok cool thanks

Quick Reply

Latest