The Student Room Group

Failing One Or More Modules - Concerning A Mate?

Hey Guys;

Well, one of my mates has to resit 4 exams and 2 pieces of CW to get through to next year and, given his track record, I don't know if he'll get into next year but, if he does but fails a module or two, would he still get his honours degree (or even a degree without honours) at the end of it even if he doesn't achieve the full 360 credits?
As in, let's say he gets 105 credits this year (failing a 15 credit module) or 90 credits (failing 2 15 credit modules or 1 30 credit module) meaning he would end up with 330 or 345 credits next year all going well next year, would he still get his degree given he hasn't passed every single module?

No idea how this works...
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, one of my mates has to resit 4 exams and 2 pieces of CW to get through to next year and, given his track record, I don't know if he'll get into next year but, if he does but fails a module or two, would he still get his honours degree (or even a degree without honours) at the end of it even if he doesn't achieve the full 360 credits?
As in, let's say he gets 105 credits this year (failing a 15 credit module) or 90 credits (failing 2 15 credit modules or 1 30 credit module) meaning he would end up with 330 or 345 credits next year all going well next year, would he still get his degree given he hasn't passed every single module?

No idea how this works...

In order to get you honours degree, you need 360 credits. You (your friend) won't just be given a degree with less credits. Everyone else needs to earn those 360 credits, so do you (your friend).

I'm not sure about at your uni, but at my uni, we have compulsory modules that must be passed and then we can take any other additional modules in order to gain the full credits. You do not get a degree without the required number of credits.

If it's anything like my uni, in order to get an ordinary degree, you need to have attained a certain number of credits with a portion of those still at honours level.

When are the resits? If you (your friend) don't want to waste the last couple of years, then work your ass off to pass these modules.
Original post by GoingToBurst
In order to get you honours degree, you need 360 credits. You (your friend) won't just be given a degree with less credits. Everyone else needs to earn those 360 credits, so do you (your friend).

I'm not sure about at your uni, but at my uni, we have compulsory modules that must be passed and then we can take any other additional modules in order to gain the full credits. You do not get a degree without the required number of credits.

If it's anything like my uni, in order to get an ordinary degree, you need to have attained a certain number of credits with a portion of those still at honours level.

When are the resits? If you (your friend) don't want to waste the last couple of years, then work your ass off to pass these modules.

I've only got 1 resit because I *ucked up a Jan exam because, as I realised after looking over my paper, it said "Describe and explain" of which I only done the description (my lecturer let me look at my paper and so, I realised the reason why i only got half the mark I thought I would get...)

Module names:

Drugs and Disease (Both me and my mate) - 15 Credits
Studies In The Biology Of Disease (Mate only) - 30 Credits
Immunological and Physiological Systems (Mate Only) - 30 Credits
Microbiology (Mate only because I did Medicinal Chemistry as my optional module) - 15 Credits

So, as you can see, quite a bit to revise for him and, I can kinda tell you think I'm talking about myself, I'm not.
The resits start in about 3 weeks but, we've not been given the timetable yet.
Original post by Scienceisgood
I've only got 1 resit because I *ucked up a Jan exam because, as I realised after looking over my paper, it said "Describe and explain" of which I only done the description (my lecturer let me look at my paper and so, I realised the reason why i only got half the mark I thought I would get...)

Module names:

Drugs and Disease (Both me and my mate) - 15 Credits
Studies In The Biology Of Disease (Mate only) - 30 Credits
Immunological and Physiological Systems (Mate Only) - 30 Credits
Microbiology (Mate only because I did Medicinal Chemistry as my optional module) - 15 Credits

So, as you can see, quite a bit to revise for him and, I can kinda tell you think I'm talking about myself, I'm not.
The resits start in about 3 weeks but, we've not been given the timetable yet.

It's a lot to revise, but if he starts working on it all now, he cant at least do enough to pass. Don't wait until the timetable comes out, tell him to start revising now.
Original post by GoingToBurst
It's a lot to revise, but if he starts working on it all now, he cant at least do enough to pass. Don't wait until the timetable comes out, tell him to start revising now.

He probably has been revising but, we got our last lot of results around (or just under) 3 weeks ago. So, I know he's been doing the CW as well but, I don't know the extent of the revision...
Then again, exams have never been his forte given the one exam he did pass (I took him through a very rigorous 3 day course 3 days before the exam) he passed by the skin of his teeth and it was near enough, 70% maths (statistics)) was with 35%.

So, I really only needed to ask, what would happen if he didn't pass 2 15 credit modules or 1 30 credit module because I know my uni (UWE) will let you through as long as you get the minimum 90 credits but, they never really made it clear if you would have to resit a year to pick up the 30 you missed in a previous year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending