The Student Room Group

Student loan issues- discuss

Does your student loan/bursary/grant cover your rent and food? Do you need to work to get by or just work to pay for social life etc? Do your parents contribute? Just curious to see how other students get on

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dottykikixo
Does your student loan/bursary/grant cover your rent and food? Do you need to work to get by or just work to pay for social life etc? Do your parents contribute? Just curious to see how other students get on

My loan covers all the essential stuff (rent and food)
My bursary helps with food and social life
My mum contributes if I need her

No longer a student now by my loan & grant covered my rent with a reasonable amount left over and my parents also contributed.
Reply 3
I'm getting the max loan but I will still be getting a job since I live alone and won't have anywhere to go to over the summers and such.

I'm estranged from my parents so that should explain it. My grandma is going to help me start of tho. Since I have lived alone for a while, I'd have to throw out or sell quite a bit of stuff that I will need later anyway so I'm getting my own flat. I have some money saved up but she's covering the rest for deposits and such until I start getting my loan.

Once that's done, I should be fine. A weekend job will cover for food and in the summer I can work full time
I get the minimum and it just covered my accomodation

I work for the rest
Original post by Jackieox
I get the minimum and it just covered my accomodation

I work for the rest

How many hours do you work a week?
Original post by cherryred90s
How many hours do you work a week?

Currently around 60 cause it's summer, but during term time I work 20 a week for one job and the other two are casual
Original post by Jackieox
Currently around 60 cause it's summer, but during term time I work 20 a week for one job and the other two are casual

Wow you work loads during term time

60hrs? Where do you work?
My loan basically covered my accommodation and I worked during summers to build up funds for eating, drinking etc.

That said, I had the old £3,500 loans (and £3000 fees), so you should be fine with the new increased loan amount.
Original post by cherryred90s
Wow you work loads during term time

60hrs? Where do you work?

I work in retail, I'm on a 20 hour contract but I do more over the holidays.

Yeah 60, I usually do 9-3 at one job, 5-9 at the other, then all day on Saturday at my retail job (10 hour shift)
Wow most of you guys are lucky. I live at home and my loan of £1744 and bursary of £1200 a year doesn't really cover anything so im still working 20 odd hours a week, fine in theory blocks but on placement it's a nightmare. Lost nearly a stone in weight and have had more coughs and colds in the past 6 months than in 20 years lol. As a student nurse we don't have the long summer holidays either so no time to work and save :frown:
Reply 11
Wow most of you guys are lucky. I live at home and my loan of £1744 and bursary of £1200 a year doesn't really cover anything so im still working 20 odd hours a week, fine in theory blocks but on placement it's a nightmare. Lost nearly a stone in weight and have had more coughs and colds in the past 6 months than in 20 years lol. As a student nurse we don't have the long summer holidays either so no time to work and save :frown:

If you live at home it's assumed you live with parent who will continue paying for rent/food/essentials. So I don't see the problem. If you don't live with parents then it would be living away from home giving you a bigger loan

Most of the people who have replied are living away from home, hence the larger loan.

You, as someone with a course over 30 weeks, would also get the longer course loan.
Original post by Devify
If you live at home it's assumed you live with parent who will continue paying for rent/food/essentials. So I don't see the problem. If you don't live with parents then it would be living away from home giving you a bigger loan

If I was doing a course with normal hours it wouldn't be a problem with the work but being an nhs student its hard. My mum helps with food and I only pay a small amount of money to her whilst living at home. The travelling to placements and buying books etc is costly, at my uni all students bar NHS students get a grant at the beginning of each year to help with course materials. In the short term, we are worse off.
If I was doing a course with normal hours it wouldn't be a problem with the work but being an nhs student its hard. My mum helps with food and I only pay a small amount of money to her whilst living at home. The travelling to placements and buying books etc is costly, at my uni all students bar NHS students get a grant at the beginning of each year to help with course materials. In the short term, we are worse off.

Do you not get help with travel expenses from the NHS?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you not get help with travel expenses from the NHS?

Yes but they don't cover everything 100%. So I end up working about 50-60 hours in placement week to afford to get there.
My loan is the lowest amount and doesn't cover my accommodation - I applied for the cheapest ones but for my own room as surely I should be allowed the luxury of not having to share a room:wink:

What really irritates me is that yeah I know my parents should have made better financial decisions and they can support me but are going to struggle because I have 2 younger sisters.

On the other hand, and this is the really irritating part, my dearest boyfriend is getting 8.2k because of the year they take the tax reports... Hear me out: They have a hot tub in their garden in a nice little log cabin, an apartment with no mortgage in Fuerteventura and he can afford to dress in the most expensive clothes. His mum and her partner pay for everything he wants including a nice 60 quid pair of Lacoste trainers recently :angry:

Shouldn't make me mad but it does. I will struggle massively financially and he will have money to spare even though he doesn't need it! Especially when he rubs it in my face all the time and gets annoyed when I work too much.

Rant over :biggrin:
Original post by rleah1998
My loan is the lowest amount and doesn't cover my accommodation - I applied for the cheapest ones but for my own room as surely I should be allowed the luxury of not having to share a room:wink:

What really irritates me is that yeah I know my parents should have made better financial decisions and they can support me but are going to struggle because I have 2 younger sisters.

On the other hand, and this is the really irritating part, my dearest boyfriend is getting 8.2k because of the year they take the tax reports... Hear me out: They have a hot tub in their garden in a nice little log cabin, an apartment with no mortgage in Fuerteventura and he can afford to dress in the most expensive clothes. His mum and her partner pay for everything he wants including a nice 60 quid pair of Lacoste trainers recently :angry:

Shouldn't make me mad but it does. I will struggle massively financially and he will have money to spare even though he doesn't need it! Especially when he rubs it in my face all the time and gets annoyed when I work too much.

Rant over :biggrin:

I totally understand what you mean. The largest amount of loan/grant/bursary should be smaller and the lowest amount larger to make it more fair. It's great that people from poorer backgrounds have access to money that would previously have prevented them from going to higher education but most parents on the borderline can only spare £20 a week odd not the 3 or 4K a year student finance expects. Also the household income should be after tax- big difference between earning and having 60k.
Reply 18
I totally understand what you mean. The largest amount of loan/grant/bursary should be smaller and the lowest amount larger to make it more fair. It's great that people from poorer backgrounds have access to money that would previously have prevented them from going to higher education but most parents on the borderline can only spare £20 a week odd not the 3 or 4K a year student finance expects. Also the household income should be after tax- big difference between earning and having 60k.

I don't think the largest amount should be smaller that's really unfair. Some students even end up giving their parents money. That's how bad some situations are.
If it's really bad OP can speak to her university and see if they can help. Other than that they're best bets are their parents or getting a summer job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
I don't think the largest amount should be smaller that's really unfair. Some students even end up giving their parents money. That's how bad some situations are.
If it's really bad OP can speak to her university and see if they can help. Other than that they're best bets are their parents or getting a summer job

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess if they made the largest amount smaller then a lot of people would struggle but I think the government should look at each case more individually. I know they never will and it's too time consuming but the process is too general and too easy to abuse. I know quite a few people who have abused the system and got more money than they needed.

I do have 2 jobs but also worry that working so much at uni will affect my studies. It won't be so bad for me because I'm doing an Arts subject with a decent amount of contact hours but I have a friend in the same situation who is doing Chemistry and is worrying about having enough time for everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending