Predicted grades

How do they work?

Is it just +1 from the AS?

So AABC---->>> A*A*A?
Original post by govandpolitics
How do they work?

So AABC---->>> A*A*A?

They are guesses by your teachers about what they think you will achieve based on everything they know about you.
There is no set rule that they have to or will predict 1 grade above your AS performance. If you just reach an A by the skin of your teeth and rarely excel in class or homework then an A* is an unlikely prediction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
They are guesses by your teachers about what they think you will achieve based on everything they know about you.
There is no set rule that they they have to or will predict 1 grade above your AS performance. If you just reach an A by the skin of your teeth and rarely excel in class or homework then an A* is an unlikely prediction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

would unis think the predictions are inaccurate if its +1?
How do they work?

So AABC---->>> A*A*A?

Nope. It'll depend on your school, but your predicted grades won't be significantly greater than your AS grades. At my school, you're generally predicted the same grade as your AS grade, unless you were going to resit a module and it was therefore likely that you'd achieve a higher grade.

With the new spec, you can't resit, but I'd expect things to be similar. If a teacher's convinced that you'll achieve a better grade in year 13, and you got more than mid-way through a grade at AS, then they may well predict one higher grade. But it won't be automatic. Furthermore, you're unlikely to be predicted an A* unless you got at least 90% at AS - because it's extremely difficult to get 90% at A2, so if you can't manage it at AS, you probably won't at A2.

My AS grades for the subjects I continued at A2 were AAB, and my predictions were ultimately A*AA, with the A* being predicted only because I got 94% in that subject at AS. Occasionally schools can be relatively lenient - a friend got (low) Cs at AS and was predicted Bs - but university admissions tutors will notice, so don't think that getting AABC at AS and A*A*A predictions will necessarily convince the very top universities, because unless it's justified in the reference, they won't believe it.
would unis think the predictions are inaccurate if its +1?

Universities generally assume that schools take a responsible approach to predicting grades and would not predict A* unless you were likely to achieve it. Your reference will also need to back up that assessment of your potential. There is no point having predictions you can't achieve as ultimately if you don't get it you'll almost certainly lose the place you have been offered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest