The Student Room Group

WJEC M1 Mechanics 21st June Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Okay thanks
Reply 21
Original post by PedanticStudent
Very clever. I didn't think of it like that lol. Must mean that my measurements were correct however then.

I'm pretty sure the four out of ten will be B1 B1 B1 B1 for filling in the table completely correctly, so whether you spotted it to be the same as the centre of the rectangle or used some other fancy method like similar shapes then it wouldn't matter

It's then M1 (moments) A1 (correct equation) A1 (correct answer only) (x2) for the last six marks I would think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's how it's usually marked, very quick and easy marks for centre of mass notoriously
Original post by 98matt
I think I had 9/7 secs for b ii)

Didn't you have to add on 2seconds?
Original post by FusionNetworks
Didn't you have to add on 2seconds?

I left it, but I was unclear on whether or not they wanted me to add on 2 seconds or not.
Reply 24
Original post by Jack1066
I left it, but I was unclear on whether or not they wanted me to add on 2 seconds or not.

I was mistaken, the answer is t= 3.
Using x=18.8 u = -8.4 a= 9.8 in x=ut+½at² you get a quadratic. The negative answer is -9/7, the positive is 3.

I (stupidly) put u = 8.4m/s hence why my answers were the wrong signs
Original post by Jack1066

I read the question about 10 times and I swear it did not want the added two sec
Original post by 98matt
I was mistaken, the answer is t= 3.
Using x=18.8 u = -8.4 a= 9.8 in x=ut+½at² you get a quadratic. The negative answer is -9/7, the positive is 3.

I (stupidly) put u = 8.4m/s hence why my answers were the wrong signs

Yeh your right! I thought that x = 0 :{, so ended up with 1.something and then added on 2 :colondollar: oh well!
Reply 27
Original post by FusionNetworks
Yeh your right! I thought that x = 0 :{, so ended up with 1.something and then added on 2 :colondollar: oh well!

I did that when I first did the question! I think it's because I wrote "x" all the way through, instead of 18.9, so just assumed it was 0 :/ still managed to get it wrong after spotting that though ahaa
is there an unofficial markscheme up
Reply 29
Original post by Ceridwen101
is there an unofficial markscheme up

Mathemateg twitter page said it'll be up in a couple of hours
Original post by 98matt
Mathemateg twitter page said it'll be up in a couple of hours

ah okay thankyou!
Original post by Ceridwen101
ah okay thankyou!

Here is a copy of the paper too, again credit to Dr. Evans.

https://jacktilson.net/edu/maths/misc/m1june16.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending