The Student Room Group

OCR C3 (not MEI) Official Thread - Tuesday 21st June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drandy76
I got 32 sin theta ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466522041.497756.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh, i think i got up to line 4 but i think i missed the power of three, how many marks do you think it is to get the sin^4theta
Original post by garlicbread23
oh, i think i got up to line 4 but i think i missed the power of three, how many marks do you think it is to get the sin^4theta

Only 2 marks for whole question so maybe one? Hard to judge and I'm not too well versed with the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 282
I got 32 sin theta ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466522041.497756.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's right. I put in a value in the exam and it worked
Reply 283
In vectors and possible integration I think? Not nearly as much as in c3

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good. People say they find C4 easier than C3, would you say that is justified
Only 2 marks for whole question so maybe one? Hard to judge and I'm not too well versed with the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, hope i scrape the mark :smile:
Original post by SGHD26716
That's good. People say they find C4 easier than C3, would you say that is justified

I can see why they'd prefer it, neither are particularly different in difficulty imo, depends on what type of question you prefer + How you adjust to vectors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Baileyprice1234
Yeah, how do you do q6?

I can't remember the exact question but I'll try to explain how I did it. You are told that P is a point on both curves and that x=2 so you know they intersect therefore you equate them then substitute in x=2 to have one equation with a's and b's. You are then told the gradient of the curves are equal at P so differentiate both curves sub in x=2 and equate the differentials to get a second equation with a's and b's. Then solve the equations with a's and b's simultaneously to get a=6 b=5. I hope this helps?
Reply 287
I didn't say f(x) was many to one but just said that is wasn't one to one would I still get the mark?
For question 6, bit messy though ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466523819.103740.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 289
Grade boundary predictions for 100ums???
In (6) when I re-substituted into Y I copied the equation wrong to get 8 instead of 18, giving b=0 and a=4. Can anybody tell me how many marks lost this will be.
Reply 291
Original post by angles123
In (6) when I re-substituted into Y I copied the equation wrong to get 8 instead of 18, giving b=0 and a=4. Can anybody tell me how many marks lost this will be.

2 marks as long as everything before was correct
Reply 292
Just below average I would say. 56 an A.
I guess you're doing C4. How is that compared to C3? I'm doing it next year so is there trig stuff in there as well?

Yeah i'd agree, lower than usual but not by a lot.
C4 is quite similar to C3; there's a lot of integration and differentiation again, the only difference being they involve sin/cos/tan etc. As long as you know the identities it isn't too difficult.
There's a few bits on vectors as well. I enjoy C4 more than C3 and, besides vectors, I'd say it's easier as well. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 293
in the tan(A-B) 8 mark question I found tanB wrong but did all other working correctly, does anyone know how many marks will I lose?
Reply 294
Original post by oloym
in the tan(A-B) 8 mark question I found tanB wrong but did all other working correctly, does anyone know how many marks will I lose?

I would say you get all method marks but lose answer marks for not working out tan b correctly and therefore getting the wrong final answers so lose 3
Original post by oloym

Me too! I'm guessing you got tanB=27 like I did? I'm hoping that's only 1 or 2 marks lost..
I didn't get the C1 C2 curves question, I showed method but kept getting the wrong answer? How many marks would I lose?
Just below average I would say. 56 an A.
I guess you're doing C4. How is that compared to C3? I'm doing it next year so is there trig stuff in there as well?

I think it will definitely be lower than that. Perhaps 52 or 53. It was much harder than usual.
Reply 299
Original post by student2734
Me too! I'm guessing you got tanB=27 like I did? I'm hoping that's only 1 or 2 marks lost..

Yeah I did its so annoying!! glad someone else is in the same boat

Quick Reply

Latest