The Student Room Group

How do you study for the PAT for Oxford?

So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers.

I would to hear from people to have taken the exam, how did you study for it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by KingYusHalo
So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers.

I would to hear from people to have taken the exam, how did you study for it?

I took the PAT in 2014, although I was probably less prepared than I should have been. There are questions beyond AS, and certainly the questions can be harder than A level (it wouldn't be much use otherwise!), but content wise there shouldn't be much outside of the full A level. Honestly the best preparation is practice (although bear in mind the number of papers available). There is a vague syllabus on the website (just a list of topics really) which is a good place to start and check that you're familiar with all the material and what you should be revising for it. They also changed the format very recently which is something to bear in mind when you're doing older papers.
Reply 2
Original post by Lau14
I took the PAT in 2014, although I was probably less prepared than I should have been. There are questions beyond AS, and certainly the questions can be harder than A level (it wouldn't be much use otherwise!), but content wise there shouldn't be much outside of the full A level. Honestly the best preparation is practice (although bear in mind the number of papers available). There is a vague syllabus on the website (just a list of topics really) which is a good place to start and check that you're familiar with all the material and what you should be revising for it. They also changed the format very recently which is something to bear in mind when you're doing older papers.

How many past papers did you do and what score did you get?
Reply 3
How many past papers did you do and what score did you get?

Not all of them, I can't remember exactly how many (I do recommend doing them all though). I got 56 (34 maths, 22 physics) which was only one mark over the interview cutoff for that year!
Reply 4
Original post by Lau14
Not all of them, I can't remember exactly how many (I do recommend doing them all though). I got 56 (34 maths, 22 physics) which was only one mark over the interview cutoff for that year!

Thanks a lot!!!

I'm really sorry for bothering you over and over again but......I'm not to adept at mental maths. Are the calculations long and tedious? I'm only good upto C1 level in mental maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks a lot!!!

I'm really sorry for bothering you over and over again but......I'm not to adept at mental maths. Are the calculations long and tedious? I'm only good upto C1 level in mental maths

It's no problem :smile: (anything to procrastinate...). My mental maths is awful, I had to do virtually everything by hand in the corner of the page or something. You should be fine though, just do the practice and that'll give you an idea about how difficult it gets. (I'm not even sure why they bother making it non calculator, only 1/5 exams in first year are and you don't really need a calculator for that one).
Good resources to prepare are:
The whole freakin A2 physics textbook
Physics Olympiad questions
Maths kangaroo papers
C4

If you master those, I can almost guarantee a 85+ no joke.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SamLLLLiu
Good resources to prepare are:
The whole freakin A2 textbook
Physics Olympiad questions
Maths kangaroo papers
C4

If you master those, I can almost guarantee a 85+ no joke.

Hey you linked me here
Well I do edexcel so far c1c2 m1 so do I finish c3,4 and m2 by November?
85 plus? Damn
You did the pat btw?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Hey you linked me here
Well I do edexcel so far c1c2 m1 so do I finish c3,4 and m2 by November?
85 plus? Damn
You did the pat btw?

Yeah I got 92. I think you probably won't finish c3 /c4 by then because I was doing further maths and we barely did. I suggest you try to learn C3/4 during the holidays because those are the 'standard' maths they have in the first part of the paper.

Ohhhh and make sure you do lots of tricky curve sketching, both for the interview and PAT
Yeah I got 92. I think you probably won't finish c3 /c4 by then because I was doing further maths and we barely did. I suggest you try to learn C3/4 during the holidays because those are the 'standard' maths they have in the first part of the paper.

Ohhhh and make sure you do lots of tricky curve sketching, both for the interview and PAT

I could start c3 by this week or so don't feel like taking too much of a break and then c4
My school next year will teach me m2 and they have s1 and s2 choice but I don't know if I could take them with m2
I also wanted to do fp1?
Well after c3 c4 then?

92 is pretty amazing
What were your gcses and alevel grade if you don't mind and did you end up going to Oxford? If so what course?
I could start c3 by this week or so don't feel like taking too much of a break and then c4
My school next year will teach me m2 and they have s1 and s2 choice but I don't know if I could take them with m2
I also wanted to do fp1?
Well after c3 c4 then?

I don't think fp1 or and S1/2 will be involved as that will be CLEARLY biasing students doing FM. A2 physics is next, especially the formulas( circular motion, mechanics, G and E fields and thermal physics) not so much for nuclear physics or M fields. But those are interesting anyway.

Then it's the stuff I mentioned the first time
92 is pretty amazing
What were your gcses and alevel grade if you don't mind and did you end up going to Oxford? If so what course?

I didn't do any GCSE but if I did I would probably suck at the humanities. I do Maths, FM, physics biology( I know😂) and an EPQ. 4A at AS

I sneaked into engineering
Do study A2 maths modules if u really wanna score high, especially FP2 and M3. A2 physics is a must. You might need even more reading apart from that as some questions (but not much) might not be covered in A-levels.

When you r ready for the syllabus on the official website, go study simple harmonic motion in M3, it helps you in both PAT and Interviews.

And you need to know how to make use of the formula really really well , sometimes the questions are based on easy AS topics but could be very difficult to derive the answer (they are playing with the symbols)

I took PAT 2015 btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey do you know if imperial requires pat for their engineering courses?
Original post by ertzgrand
Hey do you know if imperial requires pat for their engineering courses?

Don't think so but I remember for CivEng we had a test at the group interview.
Original post by hank_the_tank
Do study A2 maths modules if u really wanna score high, especially FP2 and M3. A2 physics is a must. You might need even more reading apart from that as some questions (but not much) might not be covered in A-levels.

When you r ready for the syllabus on the official website, go study simple harmonic motion in M3, it helps you in both PAT and Interviews.

And you need to know how to make use of the formula really really well , sometimes the questions are based on easy AS topics but could be very difficult to derive the answer (they are playing with the symbols)

I took PAT 2015 btw

Mr. SamLuiii posted above that they don't really involve FM modules as they would be biasing towards FM students. I don't take FM and don't really know what to do. I've started C3, but from what you are saying, I don't think i'll be as prepared enough.

And yah, for Physics, what do you think are the most important chapters to study for the PAT?
image.jpeg
Mr. SamLuiii posted above that they don't really involve FM modules as they would be biasing towards FM students. I don't take FM and don't really know what to do. I've started C3, but from what you are saying, I don't think i'll be as prepared enough.

And yah, for Physics, what do you think are the most important chapters to study for the PAT?

hey im planning the pat too
what alevel subjects do you take i dont take fm either but i might do AS furhter maths /:

Yea, I have to say you would barely see Further mathematics topics like taylor series or first order differential equations. What I was saying is that if you are going for scores like 90+, you might want to go and have a look at further maths topics if you've got time.

As far as Im concerned, PAT has a typical question related to inequality in the maths section. Im doing Edexcel Further maths and that is included in FP2 (unless it also appears in other maths module and I have forgotten LOL) And sometimes even though the official website showed the syllabus, they go beyond that. For instance, in PAT 2015 (the paper I attempted), it has asked about simple harmonic motion and that was never mentioned on the website.

But still, you should learn the basics first. I'm not trying to freak you out, but suggesting you to go and read further once you've managed to deal with the basics.

Mechanics would be the most important topic. I'm sure. After that, its E&M and Waves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending