The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century B7 C7 P7 - W/C - Monday 20th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by realsmilee
Just think that you will never have to do chemistry again after tomorrow!! :biggrin:

Very true - thank you :biggrin:
Original post by pinksplodge
idk I prefer chemistry in general to physics and bio so hoping it goes well...still not too sure about some parts though:redface: how did you find the c4-6 paper?

I actually found it okay surprisingly, but i messed up on the lead ion question and probably multiple others :tongue::wink:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Haber process:
Ammonia (2NH₃) is made by reacting nitrogen (N₂) and hydrogen (3H₂) together at a pressure of 200 atmospheres, a temperature of 450°C and using an iron catalyst. The process by which this is done industrially is called the Haber process. The reaction is reversible, meaning that not all of the nitrogen and hydrogen will be converted into ammonia as some ammonia will also break down. However none of the reactants are wasted, as those that are not used are recycled and passed through again.

Le Chatelier's principle:
Le Chatelier's principle states that in dynamic equilibrium, the position of equilibrium shifts to try to cancel out any changes you make. For example: A + B C + D. Increasing the concentration of A means more C and D are produced to counteract the change. If the reaction is exothermic in the forward direction and endothermic in the backwards direction, heating the mixture means the equilibrium moves to the left to counteract the change. If A + B C, compressing (increasing the pressure of) the mixture means the equilibrium moves to the right to counteract the change. If there are more molecules in one side of the equilibrium than the other, the equilibrium will shift to the side with fewer molecules to counteract the imbalance.

You make everything sound so simple :smile:
You will be fine tomorrow! :h:

You're welcome - and thank you, I sure hope so! :redface:
Can someone please explain gas chromatography to me, I don't get it and have a funny feeling it is going to come as a 6 marker
Original post by rebbarn29
Can someone please explain gas chromatography to me, I don't get it and have a funny feeling it is going to come as a 6 marker

I doubt it coming up. Chromatography came up as 14marks altogether last year I believe

Tomorrow ? My P7 OCR 21st Century exam is on Friday ?

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
If someone could explain how to do this standard solution question it would be really helpful :smile:
The answer is 25 cm cubed of stock solution and make up to 20 cm cubed of water.
Thanks
edit: nevermind, understood it
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Tomorrow ? My P7 OCR 21st Century exam is on Friday ?

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔

C7 is tomorrow :smile:
Reply 189
Any predictions for C7 six markers?
Original post by Ananya._c
If someone could explain how to do this standard solution question it would be really helpful :smile:
The answer is 25 cm cubed of stock solution and make up to 20 cm cubed of water.
Thanks
edit: nevermind, understood it
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really confused by this, would you be able to explain it and/or post the mark scheme? What year's paper is it from?
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I'm really confused by this, would you be able to explain it and/or post the mark scheme? What year's paper is it from?

It's from an old specification and the mark scheme literally says the answer I mentioned above :/
I used the formula:
final concentration / initial concentration x the volume = amount to add
therefore:
6.3/63 x 250 = 25
so add 25 cm 3 of nitric acid, to make up to 250 cm3 add more (225cm3) water to get the desired volume
essentially you make the solution 10 x more dilute
That's what I understood anyway, sorry if this is really bad explanation :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by katxxxx
Any predictions for C7 six markers?

I'm not sure about topics, but I have a feeling they're going to be pretty mean given the kindness of C1-6 and the absolute beauty that was last year's paper :s-smilie:
Any C7 predictions?
It's from an old specification and the mark scheme literally says the answer I mentioned above :/
I used the formula:
final concentration / initial concentration x the volume = amount to add
therefore:
6.3/63 x 250 = 25
so add 25 cm 3 of nitric acid, to make up to 250 cm3 add more (225cm3) water to get the desired volume
essentially you make the solution 10 x more dilute
That's what I understood anyway, sorry if this is really bad explanation :frown:

Thanks! I looked at your explanation and managed to figure out a way to do it that made sense to me as to why it works, here:

The formula for concentration is concentration = mass / volume

Rearranged is concentration * volume = mass

You want 250 cm3 volume at a concentration of 6.3 g/dm3

Convert 250 cm3 to dm3, 250 / 1000 = 0.25

So, add the numbers into the formula, 6.3 * 0.25 = 1.575

So you want your end solution to have 1.575g mass of nitric acid in a volume of 250 cm3, in order to give you the 6.3 g/dm3 concentration they asked for

Then, you find how much of the original solution you need to get 1.575g

mass / concentration = volume

1.575 / 63 = 0.025 dm3 = 25 cm3

So you have 25 cm3 of your original solution, and it contains 1.575g, now you just need to dilute it until you get the correct volume and the concentration will then be correct

So, you add 225 cm3 of water, giving you 250 cm3 solution (the volume the question asked for) - and it contains 1.575g

You can then check it is at the correct concentration by doing mass / volume = concentration

1.575 / 0.25 (250cm3 / 1000 to convert to dm3) = 6.3 g/dm3 concentration, which is what they asked for, so it works!

(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone please explain how to work out a titration calculation with an example?
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Thanks! I looked at your explanation and managed to figure out a way to do it that made sense to me as to why it works, here:

The formula for concentration is concentration = mass / volume

Rearranged is concentration * volume = mass

You want 250 cm3 volume at a concentration of 6.3 g/dm3

Convert 250 cm3 to dm3, 250 / 1000 = 0.25

So, add the numbers into the formula, 6.3 * 0.25 = 1.575

So you want your end solution to have 1.575g mass of nitric acid in a volume of 250 cm3, in order to give you the 6.3 g/dm3 concentration they asked for

Then, you find how much of the original solution you need to get 1.575g

mass / concentration = volume

1.575 / 63 = 0.025 dm3 = 25 cm3

So you have 25 cm3 of your original solution, and it contains 1.575g, now you just need to dilute it until you get the correct volume and the concentration will then be correct

So, you add 225 cm3 of water, giving you 250 cm3 solution (the volume the question asked for) - and it contains 1.575g

You can then check it is at the correct concentration by doing mass / volume = concentration

1.575 / 0.25 (250cm3 / 1000 to convert to dm3) = 6.3 g/dm3 concentration, which is what they asked for, so it works!

That works nicely too! Good luck for tomorrow :yy:
That works nicely too! Good luck for tomorrow :yy:

You too, hopefully this year's grade boundaries are low!
What a beautiful paper, I'm shocked :biggrin:
Wonderful paper, apart from a few stupid mistakes (in a six marker but only a few marks), everything else was shockingly pleasant! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending