The Student Room Group

Semi-quant degree (Econ) at a semi target vs a softer degree (Mgmt) at a target?

I'm was going to apply to read Management at LSE and Warwick but after looking into some articles/forum threads, I've gotten a bit worried as people/employers seem to see it as a bit of a weak degree where you don't really learn much of anything useful and that I may be better off applying to study something like Economics . My primary issue is I only have AAA (+ A* in EPQ) at A-Level which more or less prevents me from studying Econ at a target so realistically I'd be aiming at semi-targets such as Bath, Nottingham, Manchester and maybe Durham through their Foundation Year program.

My question is pretty much this, which would put me in a better position for a career on the buy side, Management at LSE/Warwick or Economics at Durham/Bath/Manchester/Nottingham assuming everything else apart from the course are the same (extra curricular activities, work experience, grades etc).

From the threads and articles I've read it seems that people are of the opinion that undergraduate business education is a waste of your university years where you don't learn anything useful that you couldn't learn easily by yourself and that employers (particularly in Asset Management and Private Equity) favour those with more quantitative or traditional degrees. From reading the course modules on the university websites it seems to me to be quite an interesting and diverse degree but what do you guys think?

In summary (assuming the above post is too long to read);

- Articles and forum threads seem to suggest business is a weak degree
- I can only get into Econ at a semi target due to my grades
- Which is better (for buy side work) Management at a target (i.e. LSE, Warwick) or Econ at a semi-target (Nott/Bath/Manc/Durham) assuming all else equal.
Im doing same as you, econ at semi
Original post by govandpolitics
Im doing same as you, econ at semi

That's great and I wish you good luck in your studies. Do you have any advice regarding the questions above?
Original post by Qin Shi Huang
That's great and I wish you good luck in your studies. Do you have any advice regarding the questions above?

i wouldn't really say there is much difference in terms of prospects.

@Princepieman can help
You are not going to get a quant position with economics anyway. Man, degree does not matter. The amount of times this has been discussed. Employers care about the reputation of the university, not the course. Management is the perfect degree. It is an easy way to get a solid brand name on your CV, while also enjoying your 3 years.

Target, for sure. Even if it was History or Philosophy at a target in constrast to econ at a semi target, I would still go for the target.
Original post by glebp
You are not going to get a quant position with economics anyway. Man, degree does not matter. The amount of times this has been discussed. Employers care about the reputation of the university, not the course. Management is the perfect degree. It is an easy way to get a solid brand name on your CV, while also enjoying your 3 years.

Target, for sure. Even if it was History or Philosophy at a target in constrast to econ at a semi target, I would still go for the target.

This.

I'm revising rn, so can't help much.
Original post by glebp

I appreciate the detailed response, it's not my intention to be a Quant it just seems that several buy side firms emphasise strong analytical and numerical skills. The graduate salaries also seems to lag behind Economics at most if not all of the semi-targets but the response rates to the surveys tend to be quite low so likely not that accurate. Do you know what the graduate destinations are for Management at Warwick? The information they provide on the WBS website is from 2010/11 so pretty dated.
I appreciate the detailed response, it's not my intention to be a Quant it just seems that several buy side firms emphasise strong analytical and numerical skills. The graduate salaries also seems to lag behind Economics at most if not all of the semi-targets but the response rates to the surveys tend to be quite low so likely not that accurate. Do you know what the graduate destinations are for Management at Warwick? The information they provide on the WBS website is from 2010/11 so pretty dated.

Grad salaries mean bugger all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a WBS group chat. One kid said he got a JPM internship. Was lurking around linkedin, saw a portfolio manager at blackrock after completing a managment degree from there. Semi-target is a no no, no matter what subject, priority => target, any degree
Original post by glebp
In a WBS group chat. One kid said he got a JPM internship. Was lurking around linkedin, saw a portfolio manager at blackrock after completing a managment degree from there. Semi-target is a no no, no matter what subject, priority => target, any degree

Was probably the social mobility one, tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Was probably the social mobility one, tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Man, what are we doing here? We have our offers to meet :biggrin:
Original post by glebp

Lol, I lost hope a while back. I'm just trying hard for the sake of it now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

never lose hope, you'll do well. What grades do you need to get?
Grad salaries mean bugger all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I guess I'm getting worked up over nothing.

Original post by glebp

Is the guy you're talking about Victor Vas? That was the one that I found on LinkedIn, are you currently a student there? If so can you provide any kind of insight on careers data or on which firms visit Warwick's careers fairs as they don't post attendees from last year like Oxford, Kings and Southampton do.

Original post by glebp

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you guys will do fine but good luck anyway!
True, I guess I'm getting worked up over nothing.

Is the guy you're talking about Victor Vas? That was the one that I found on LinkedIn, are you currently a student there? If so can you provide any kind of insight on careers data or on which firms visit Warwick's careers fairs as they don't post attendees from last year like Oxford, Kings and Southampton do.

Nope, but I applied to WBS and insured a semi-target for industrial economics - tiny bit more traditional, although still not pure.

I am telling you straight away, I had this issue too. Warwick all the way! And can't remember the name I have encountered.

Hope you make the right decision! and thanks, I will need the luck!

Standard big names, it's a target uni after all. You don't have much to worry about re:careers fairs or employee visits (I believe Warwick actually held the most careers related events of all the target unis) but take a look at who sponsors/collabs with societies. I'm also certain all the top consulting firms visit/send representatives too.

We'll have to see

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to all the incoming Warwick banking lads! Hopefully i'll see you there next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending