The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Getting hella nervous now :/// I feel like I know everything but I feel like I'm just going to blank in the exam :frown:
Anyone able to explain January 2011 2b)
Original post by badaman
E Au+(/Au) > E O2(/H2O)
So H2O reduces Au+ ions to Au so they are not normally found in aqueous solutions.
Combine Half Equation 1 and 2 (Times 1st one by 2) to get:
2Au+ + H2O 2Au + 1/2O2 + 2H+

I dont get the E cell greater than the other one stuff

Same with 7c.
Do you mind explaining :redface:
Reply 2003
Original post by Windowswind123
http://www.cram.com/flashcards/transition-metal-complexes-colours-6839469
I made these.
I haven't written solution or precipitate on all of them and some of them may say precipitate instead of solution. But the one's with charges are solutions and the ones without are precipitates

thnx! ive memorized most of these just some odd balls like the chloride complexes. also it says on the quiz that fe(h20)6^3+ is pale violet but i swear its yellow? or am i reading it wrong?
Reply 2004
Original post by YoloSwagginz
Know the 4 precipitation reactions

Let x be (H2O)6

Cux pale blue
Cox pale pink
Fe2+x pale green
Fe3+ yellow

Cu(oh)2 blue
Cu(oh)2 blue
Fe(oh)2 green
Fe(oh)3 orange

Cucl4 yellow
Cocl4 blue

Cu(nh3)4(h2o)2 deep blue

Kmno4 oxidizing agent is purple and turns. Colour less at end point

Acidified potass di chrome

Orange to green

Nice, Thanks!
Original post by GO97
thnx! ive memorized most of these just some odd balls like the chloride complexes. also it says on the quiz that fe(h20)6^3+ is pale violet but i swear its yellow? or am i reading it wrong?

Its yellow
Reply 2006
You don't need every colour spec specifically states fe cu and co in ppt reactions and cu nh3 deep blue cucl4 and cocl4

this is awesome thanks
Original post by Super199
I dont get the E cell greater than the other one stuff

Same with 7c.
Do you mind explaining :redface:

The electrode potentials can show how one thing would react with another. If one is more +ve than the other then that will be the oxiding agent and the other (the more negtaive one) will be the reducing agent. So the reaction here is that Water will reduce the Au+ ions to a solid Au. So they will be a ppt in water and not in an aqueous solution whch implies that it dissolved in water which is not the case.
Reply 2008
Original post by Bloom77
Someone help please
Why do you x2 for -348 and not 158?
Question 1biii in June 2010 paper
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466523527.462594.jpg
Mark scheme: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JUN10.PDF

Posted from TSR Mobile

You require two F(g) and this produced from the equation given and this is +158
The equation with -348 is PER F to F- and as you need 2, you need to multiply it by 2.
Hope that helped
Original post by GO97
like every possible colour? im more than willing to learn every colour on the spec but i dont really have a source to study them, revision guide doesnt give them all and i cant find a useful site. Do you have any recommendations?

https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/mod-5-revision-guide-4-transition-metals.pdf

scroll to bottom.
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Getting hella nervous now :/// I feel like I know everything but I feel like I'm just going to blank in the exam :frown:

Same lol. But I really can't afford to screw up this exam after chem 4, which makes me 10x even more nervous :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you do this question?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466529618.015149.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirRaza97
The electrode potentials can show how one thing would react with another. If one is more +ve than the other then that will be the oxiding agent and the other (the more negtaive one) will be the reducing agent. So the reaction here is that Water will reduce the Au+ ions to a solid Au. So they will be a ppt in water and not in an aqueous solution whch implies that it dissolved in water which is not the case.

I see, but in the equation how do you know which species is the oxidising agent. Is it because itself gets reduced so Au+ goes to Au?

And the reducing agent would be H2O because it gets oxidised to H+?
Its yellow

Oh thanks. I just wrote what my teacher had told me
Reply 2014

yeah this is exactly what im looking for good shout
Original post by Jmedi
You require two F(g) and this produced from the equation given and this is +158
The equation with -348 is PER F to F- and as you need 2, you need to multiply it by 2.
Hope that helped

Thank you
It did
But why don't you also x2 for 158 because 2 F are also produced

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JAN13.PDF

3c.

why do you halve the oxygen value. I don't understand :frown:
Original post by DDan123
Same lol. But I really can't afford to screw up this exam after chem 4, which makes me 10x even more nervous :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha I knowwww, this exam is my last hope :frown: Let's hope it's better !
Original post by Super199
I see, but in the equation how do you know which species is the oxidising agent. Is it because itself gets reduced so Au+ goes to Au?

And the reducing agent would be H2O because it gets oxidised to H+?

Yes exactly that
anyone else *****ing one for tomorrow lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending