The Student Room Group

Taking a A level exam as private candidate help

So i want to take A level maths as a private candidate, does anyone know how much it will cost?

Also is it worth paying for distance learning? Because I know i can just find all the resources online to learn the syllabus and I wouldn't have to pay for it.

Thanks.
Original post by junayd1998
So i want to take A level maths as a private candidate, does anyone know how much it will cost?

Also is it worth paying for distance learning? Because I know i can just find all the resources online to learn the syllabus and I wouldn't have to pay for it.

Thanks.

No it's not worth it. You can teach yourself if you've got the self discipline. There are lots of online resources as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

I can't really give you an exact cost as different exam boards charge different amounts and the place you take the exam will likely charge admin fees for putting you through. There may also be extra admin charges for any possible coursework elements. With AQA, the entry fees for AS and A2 would work out to about £150 altogether, although you'd need to remember that it would be more with any admin fees on top.

EDIT: Unless you really need the extra guidance, don't bother with a distance learning course. If you can teach yourself, it'll work out better, but only if you're sure you can manage it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I can't really give you an exact cost as different exam boards charge different amounts and the place you take the exam will likely charge admin fees for putting you through. There may also be extra admin charges for any possible coursework elements. With AQA, the entry fees for AS and A2 would work out to about £150 altogether, although you'd need to remember that it would be more with any admin fees on top.

EDIT: Unless you really need the extra guidance, don't bother with a distance learning course. If you can teach yourself, it'll work out better, but only if you're sure you can manage it.

Good luck with your studies. In practice, you will need to find an Examination Centre that is not a school (unless you have good contacts). This is partly because we think private results will be included in a School's performance ranking. A private test centre may charge something in the region of £100 per module (so £600+ in total). You might want to shop around but a convenient and pleasant location is worth paying a premium for.

The specification for A-level Maths is changing but you should still be able to study independently. This site, examsolutions, and askdrmath are all good sources if you get stuck on particular things. Knowing someone who can sit down and go through a problem or area you find confusing is a big plus though so if your funds stretch to some personal tuition, that is worth considering.
Reply 4

The exam boards charge between £12 and £16 per unit (there are 6 units). The exam centre will add on a charge for their admin and invigilation which could make the cost anything from £25 to £100 per unit.

Not really, if you have the self discipline you can teach yourself.

If you start now you will be on the current specification with 6 units and that will be good for at least 3 years, probably 4. You can take as many units at a time as you want and re-sit individual units with the better attempt counting.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
The exam boards charge between £12 and £16 per unit (there are 6 units). The exam centre will add on a charge for their admin and invigilation which could make the cost anything from £25 to £100 per unit.

Not really, if you have the self discipline you can teach yourself.

If you start now you will be on the current specification with 6 units and that will be good for at least 3 years, probably 4. You can take as many units at a time as you want and re-sit individual units with the better attempt counting.

Okay so for AS maths what are the units? C1 , C2 and the last one???????

Also if i applied this year to do them would it still be the same spec when i mean apply I mean this august.
Reply 6
Okay so for AS maths what are the units? C1 , C2 and the last one???????

C1, C2 and 1 from S1, M1 or D1. S1 is probably easiest.

Also if i applied this year to do them would it still be the same spec when i mean apply I mean this august.

I'm not sure what you'd be applying for in August, but if you are aiming to take the AS exams in Summer 2017 then you would be taking the current specification.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
C1, C2 and 1 from S1, M1 or D1. S1 is probably easiest.

I'm not sure what you'd be applying for in August, but if you are aiming to take the AS exams in Summer 2017 then you would be taking the current specification.

Okay so for AS maths C1 + C2 are compulsory? and you can pick the third ?

Then when would I apply? I mean august 2016 for applying then taking the exam in 2017?
Reply 8
Okay so for AS maths C1 + C2 are compulsory? and you can pick the third ?

Yes.
Then when would I apply? I mean august 2016 for applying then taking the exam in 2017?

If you're teaching yourself then all you need to find is an exam centre willing to accept you. They can't make entries for Summer 2017 until November but I would try to find a centre before Christmas - shop around as prices vary a lot. The actual deadline at the exam board is 21 February but few centres will accept candidates at standard prices that late.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
Yes.

If you're teaching yourself then all you need to find is an exam centre willing to accept you. They can't make entries for Summer 2017 until November but I would try to find a centre before Christmas - shop around as prices vary a lot. The actual deadline at the exam board is 21 February but few centres will accept candidates at standard prices that late.

Oh so the time really to apply is between Nov 2016 and Feb 2017?
Reply 10

Yes.
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Thank you

Thanks.

OK I did my GCSEs as a private candidate so I can be of a little assistance...

From what I remember of GCSE it costs around £30 (per subject, I think) and distance learning is probably not particularly helpful at A-level - it certainly wasn't at GCSE!

It's possible to teach yourself Maths if you have the self-discipline and motivation for it.

Best of luck!
Reply 13
Thank you

Don't thank me, thank @Compost.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
OK I did my GCSEs as a private candidate so I can be of a little assistance...

From what I remember of GCSE it costs around £30 (per subject, I think) and distance learning is probably not particularly helpful at A-level - it certainly wasn't at GCSE!

It's possible to teach yourself Maths if you have the self-discipline and motivation for it.

Best of luck!

Thank you!!!
Original post by Zacken
Don't thank me, thank @Compost.

okiee thanks @Compost :smile:

Yes. It takes a while to find a reasonably priced centre and to sort the details out so I'd start looking at the beginning of November - if you leave it until January you may find some places are already full.

Quick Reply

Latest