The Student Room Group

How did you find the EDEXCEL C3 exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Pricey97
I put the alpha question in radians not degrees - how many marks do u think ill drop?

Usually they put a note at the end for markers giving the answer in degrees/radians and saying to take off an accuracy mark if left in the incorrect form.
Reply 81
Original post by bulkybros100
How would you feel if you got nearly every questions correct (including the last question), and just few minutes before the end, realised that you missed out a whole question (q5) which was worth 10 marks..?

Hoping i'd get a method mark or two for using the product rule

That kind of happened with me, I missed out a five marker but got pretty much everything. Then after when people asked me what I got for question 9 I was very confused because I didn't realize there were even 9 questions. That's 8 marks down the drain for no reason
Original post by tomrh99
That kind of happened with me, I missed out a five marker but got pretty much everything. Then after when people asked me what I got for question 9 I was very confused because I didn't realize there were even 9 questions. That's 8 marks down the drain for no reason

fortunately for me i don't actually need an A* in maths. But it's sad to see all that potential thrown away :angry:
Original post by elliottls97
I think i got about 64/75, any idea what ums that coud be? Is there any hope i could still get an A*?

last year that was 88 ums.
most people think this paper was harder than last year so the grade boundaries might be even lower.
Reply 84
Think i messed up and got low 60s say 60, how possible is it to still get A*?
Original post by TSRPAV
Think i messed up and got low 60s say 60, how possible is it to still get A*?

You have to average 90 ums in the A2 tests... so basically full UMS in C4 and you could still do it.
Do people say this after every exam? I've done 5 and people have said they were harder than average in 4 of them (though some polling suggests they were)
Original post by skeptical_john
Do people say this after every exam? I've done 5 and people have said they were harder than average in 4 of them (though some polling suggests they were)

yeah most people think their paper was the hardest paper ever. every maths exam gets a hitler video a few hours after it finishes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hey111
This question from June 2015 is far harder than anything I saw in today's paper (In my opinion):

cos a and sin a.png

That question is the reason I'm resitting this year, and a few very daft mistakes in C4. Luckily today went a lot better than last year, now on to C4 👀
Original post by rk_
this was a reaction for the s1 exam (if you did it)

[video="youtube;KGTJ9fwrW6w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGTJ9fwrW6w[/video]

I didn't even do that exam and it had me in tears 😂
Original post by RandomAccount
LOL

sorry, but.. how did you manage that

Flicked through too many pages when moving from question 4.....or two of the pages with q5 were 'stuck' together and didn't notice maybe...

Feel like an absolute idiot !!!
Original post by Hey111
This question from June 2015 is far harder than anything I saw in today's paper (In my opinion):

cos a and sin a.png

That question taught me to avoid expanding tan2x at all costs. It was the 3rd alternative method in the mark scheme and it literally said in bold VERY DIFFICULT.

But then I still went ahead and ****ed up todays exam. No uni for me.
Reply 93
Original post by lucabrasi98
That question taught me to avoid expanding tan2x at all costs. It was the 3rd alternative method in the mark scheme and it literally said in bold VERY DIFFICULT.

But then I still went ahead and ****ed up todays exam. No uni for me.

What are you going on about? I expanded tan2x on the bottom and converted tanx to (tanx)/1. It worked perfectly fine. It then became a simple algebraic fraction question and a simple cancellation.

Here's what I did:

2cot2x + tanx
2/tan2x + tanx
2/(2tanx/1-tan^2x) + tanx/1
2*(1-tan^2x/2tanx) + tanx/1
2-2tan^2x)/2tanx + tanx/1
2-2tan^2x+2tan^2x/2tanx
2/2tanx
(2)/(2)tanx
1/tanx
= cotx

Sounds as if you knew what you were doing and lost confidence all of a sudden.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hey111
What are you going on about? I expanded tan2x on the bottom and converted tanx to (tanx)/1. It worked perfectly fine. It then became a simple algebraic fraction question and a simple cancellation.

Here's what I did:

2cot2x + tanx
2/tan2x + tanx
2/(2tanx/1-tan^2x) + tanx/1
2*(1-tan^2x/2tanx) + tanx/1
2-2tan^2x)/2tanx + tanx/1
2-2tan^2x+2tan^2x/2tanx
2/2tanx
(2)/(2)tanx
1/tanx
= cotx

You've done the entire quesiton wrong lol. It's 2/COS2x + tan2X.

So you've literally messed up at the first step. (unless you're referring to something else)

Look at the mark scheme for the paper and you'll see what I mean. I think it was the june 2015 C3 paper. The mark scheme actually says the method is very difficult. It's a lot more steps than what you've done
Reply 95

So you've literally messed up at the first step. (unless you're referring to something else)

Not sure what you're talking about.
Question was 2cot2x + tanx === cotx
And his method is 100% correct. In fact, I also used that method in the exam
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Not sure what you're talking about.
Question was 2cot2x + tanx === cotx
And his method is 100% correct. In fact, I also used that method in the exam

Can you please read the attachment before you replying to me. Jesus
Reply 97

Look at the mark scheme for the paper and you'll see what I mean. I think it was the june 2015 C3 paper. The mark scheme actually says the method is very difficult. It's a lot more steps than what you've done

No I haven't done the entire question wrong. Not for Show 2Cot2x + Tanx = Cotx.
Original post by Hey111
No I haven't done the entire question wrong. Not for Show 2Cot2x + Tanx = Cotx.

look.at.the.attachment
Reply 99
Can you please read the attachment before you replying to me. Jesus

That may be the case, but the person was referring to the question in today's exam, not last years exam.
My apologies nevertheless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending