The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
I can see where the misunderstanding came from though with hindsight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, sometimes it's difficult to fully understand what people are saying from just a short comment on here especially when there are often so many comments from so many people at once. :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
No one cares about BMI. It neglects muscle mass.

BMI is a respected and very widely used calculation. It is used by the NHS and the arguments against it are to do with people being incorrectly labelled as overweight due to a large muscle mass, higher bone density etc. It is an argument about the overweight end of the scale, not the underweight end of the scale. Seriously though, what do you want me to do? To start thinking that I'm really fat even at a size 8? To get more and more insecure about the way I look?
Original post by SophieSmall
If you lose 1 stone you'd be around 7 stone with a BMI of 17.1, which is underweight I do not recommend this. I know someone in this thread has already said BMI is useless because it doesn't take into account muscle mass, but that is an argument against the overweight side of the scale. Not the underweight side.

While yes it is important to be happy with yourself, it's also important to realise why something makes you unhappy or happy. So you can decide what changes are reasonable and healthy not just physically but emotionally.

How much weight do you think it would be healthy to lose then? Do you think I'm getting too emotional about this? As I said, I started this thread to get constructive opinions but I underestimated what some of the people on here would be like. I've tried to debate back at the negative people on here because logically I do know that they are being ridiculous and a size 8 is not fat and I don't want other people to take their comments to heart either but it is difficult when I was already worried about it to get some of the comments I've had directed at me. It's hard to have people say I'm "chubby", "fat", "wide and dumpy", that "being fat is disgusting" and try to "fat shame" me and argue and argue to keep on trying to prove that I'm fat and not take it to heart and find it hurtful. Even when I was underweight I used to worry about my weight and diet even when already underweight so like I said now that I have gained weight recently due to being ill I've started to worry about it even more and find the pressure in society for women to be skinny even harder to deal with. So yes you are probably right that being unhappy due to all of that is not really a healthy reason to lose weight but it is difficult to be happy with yourself and not worry about that when you get comments like that. I just feel that I would be happier if I got back to a size 4 or a size 6 because recently I have started to feel really self conscious about the way I look.
Original post by Anonymous
BMI is a respected and very widely used calculation. It is used by the NHS and the arguments against it are to do with people being incorrectly labelled as overweight due to a large muscle mass, higher bone density etc. It is an argument about the overweight end of the scale, not the underweight end of the scale. Seriously though, what do you want me to do? To start thinking that I'm really fat even at a size 8? To get more and more insecure about the way I look?

No it is not. It might be used by the NHS as a rough guide but remember, the NHS also had a homeopathy department until a couple of years ago so that isn't a good indicator. Bone density only ranges from person to person by 3% so that is a non-issue.

I don't mind what you do, but if you're going to ask for people's opinions honestly then don't complain when you get them.
Original post by Jebedee
No it is not. It might be used by the NHS as a rough guide but remember, the NHS also had a homeopathy department until a couple of years ago so that isn't a good indicator. Bone density only ranges from person to person by 3% so that is a non-issue.

I don't mind what you do, but if you're going to ask for people's opinions honestly then don't complain when you get them.

BMI is very widely used by the medical profession in the UK. That is a fact but I'm not going to get into a yes it is, no it isn't childish argument with you. If you admit that it's used by the NHS even as a rough guide then you don't have much of a case. My BMI is 19.8 and to be a healthy weight your BMI needs to be between 18.5 and 25 so my BMI is much closer to underweight than overweight. Your argument would only work if my BMI was close to overweight. As I have said, I am a size 8, I am 8 stone, my BMI is 19.8 and my measurements are Bust: 36, Waist: 26, Hips: 35 and I cannot see how any of that makes me overweight or fat. I would also say that for some conditions alternative medicine can actually work well but I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of alternative versus conventional medicine with you. Bone density still can affect BMI though although not as much as muscle mass. I'm not complaining about you giving your opinion in itself, what I'm objecting to is both the insulting was that you are putting it across and also your lack of understanding of the fact that I am definitely not anywhere close to medically overweight.
Okay, so I measured my body fat percentage and it's 24%. I don't know much about body fat percentages so does anyone on here know if that's good or bad?
BMI is very widely used by the medical profession in the UK. That is a fact but I'm not going to get into a yes it is, no it isn't childish argument with you. If you admit that it's used by the NHS even as a rough guide then you don't have much of a case. My BMI is 19.8 and to be a healthy weight your BMI needs to be between 18.5 and 25 so my BMI is much closer to underweight than overweight. Your argument would only work if my BMI was close to overweight. As I have said, I am a size 8, I am 8 stone, my BMI is 19.8 and my measurements are Bust: 36, Waist: 26, Hips: 35 and I cannot see how any of that makes me overweight or fat. I would also say that for some conditions alternative medicine can actually work well but I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of alternative versus conventional medicine with you. Bone density still can affect BMI though although not as much as muscle mass. I'm not complaining about you giving your opinion in itself, what I'm objecting to is both the insulting was that you are putting it across and also your lack of understanding of the fact that I am definitely not anywhere close to medically overweight.

I don't consider the NHS an authority considering they funneled millions of pounds into homeopathy and a large portion of their doctors are themselves obese.

I go by what my eyes tell me and I know what I consider looks chubby in my eyes and I have explained how that translates size-wise. You may not like it and it might conflict with what the medical industry might tell you.

Perhaps you are conflating slim with healthy. You might be a healthy weight and not about to collapse of cardiac arrest, but I don't consider it to be slim or attractive in my opinion.
Original post by Jebedee
I don't consider the NHS an authority considering they funneled millions of pounds into homeopathy and a large portion of their doctors are themselves obese.

I go by what my eyes tell me and I know what I consider looks chubby in my eyes and I have explained how that translates size-wise. You may not like it and it might conflict with what the medical industry might tell you.

Perhaps you are conflating slim with healthy. You might be a healthy weight and not about to collapse of cardiac arrest, but I don't consider it to be slim or attractive in my opinion.

The NHS spends £4 million a year on homeopathy. The overall NHS budget for 2015/16 was £116.4 billion so it doesn't exactly spend a huge amount on homeopathy. Also, as I said homeopathy can work well for some conditions so the money spent on homeopathy is not wasted. I agree that it is a problem that such a large proportion of NHS doctors are obese but they are still going to be focussed on the health of the patients whether they themselves are obese or not.
At one point, I had a BMI of 17, I was smaller than a UK size 4/US size 0 and I was very underweight but even then I didn't consider size 8 girls to be fat. I am thinking of both being slim and being healthy. I am at the low end of a healthy weight and yet you still say that I'm "fat". Fat is not healthy; fat should mean overweight. I know I'm not really skinny like I used to be anymore and believe me I often wish I still was, especially after some of the comments on here, but the weight I used to be was actually unhealthily underweight and girls shouldn't have to be that size in order to be attractive. So, you think you know better than the medical industry?

I suppose I should be grateful that even you will concede that at 8 stone with a BMI of 19.8 I'm not likely to collapse of cardiac arrest due to being so incredibly fat... As to your version of being slim or fat, can you post some pictures from the internet of girls that you would consider slim and fat so that I can see exactly what you mean?
Okay, so I measured my body fat percentage and it's 24%. I don't know much about body fat percentages so does anyone on here know if that's good or bad?

I swear u posted a similiar thread before :redface:
I'm 5ft 11 and my size 10/12 bottom
6/8 top
everyone is perfect :tongue:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I swear u posted a similiar thread before :redface:
I'm 5ft 11 and my size 10/12 bottom
6/8 top
everyone is perfect :tongue:

No, actually I didn't. This is the only thread I have posted on this subject I promise. If you mean the thread about is size 8 chubby for someone who is 5"2 that wasn't me but I did see it. The girl who posted that is slightly shorter than me, a few years older and has and eating disorder which I don't so that is definitely not me but I can see what you mean cause it is similar.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right really. :smile: It's just hard with the general pressure for women to be skinny and some of the comments on here not to feel insecure about my weight. People on here make me feel so fat. :frown: I know it's ridiculous really but it's difficult not to worry about it and take it to heart.
The NHS spends £4 million a year on homeopathy. The overall NHS budget for 2015/16 was £116.4 billion so it doesn't exactly spend a huge amount on homeopathy. Also, as I said homeopathy can work well for some conditions so the money spent on homeopathy is not wasted. I agree that it is a problem that such a large proportion of NHS doctors are obese but they are still going to be focussed on the health of the patients whether they themselves are obese or not.
At one point, I had a BMI of 17, I was smaller than a UK size 4/US size 0 and I was very underweight but even then I didn't consider size 8 girls to be fat. I am thinking of both being slim and being healthy. I am at the low end of a healthy weight and yet you still say that I'm "fat". Fat is not healthy; fat should mean overweight. I know I'm not really skinny like I used to be anymore and believe me I often wish I still was, especially after some of the comments on here, but the weight I used to be was actually unhealthily underweight and girls shouldn't have to be that size in order to be attractive. So, you think you know better than the medical industry?

I suppose I should be grateful that even you will concede that at 8 stone with a BMI of 19.8 I'm not likely to collapse of cardiac arrest due to being so incredibly fat... As to your version of being slim or fat, can you post some pictures from the internet of girls that you would consider slim and fat so that I can see exactly what you mean?

Homeopathy fails to be any more effective than a placebo so on that basis anything more than zero being spent on it is a show of poor judgement. Either way yes, I am more of an authority than the NHS on what my opinion is of what constitutes chubby.

It's hard to account for height but at a glance I would say this sort of level is when slim turns into chubby. http://122491412519633865.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/4/8/26481857/4589672_orig.jpg
Original post by Jebedee
Homeopathy fails to be any more effective than a placebo so on that basis anything more than zero being spent on it is a show of poor judgement. Either way yes, I am more of an authority than the NHS on what my opinion is of what constitutes chubby.

It's hard to account for height but at a glance I would say this sort of level is when slim turns into chubby. http://122491412519633865.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/4/8/26481857/4589672_orig.jpg

I'll reply to your full message later but just quickly if you would say those girls are chubby can you post a picture of what you would say is slim?
I'll reply to your full message later but just quickly if you would say those girls are chubby can you post a picture of what you would say is slim?

http://i2.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article1860972.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Record-Woman-body.jpg

Left and centre.

So, you think the right hand side woman is chubby?
So, you think the right hand side woman is chubby?

Yes.
Original post by Jebedee
Yes.

And is there any difference according to you between fat and chubby or do you use fat and chucky to mean the same thing?
Original post by Jebedee
Yes.

*chubby
And is there any difference according to you between fat and chubby or do you use fat and chucky to mean the same thing?

Chubby would be the lower end of fat. But it is still fat because the size doesn't comprise of bone or muscle.
You can not be being serious right now, your either dumb or a attention seeker because everyone knows a size 8/10 arent for chubby people only slim people can fit into those sizes and a size six for your height is a unhealthy weight meaning you are underweight and are damaging your body and you can die. Tbh I think you need to seek help love as you don't sounds like your right in the head.
Original post by Jebedee
Chubby would be the lower end of fat. But it is still fat because the size doesn't comprise of bone or muscle.

So, what would be a picture of a woman that you would consider fat then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending