The Student Room Group

EPQ Advice

I'm in year 12 atm and want to begin my EPQ over summer. However as far as I'm aware my school doesn't offer much help and support for this so here I am.

How many hours should you spend on an EPQ in order to achieve a top mark? Any other general advice? I'm looking to do it on medical physics but haven't quite nailed down the topic yet. Thanks in advance
Original post by HopelessMedic
I'm in year 12 atm and want to begin my EPQ over summer. However as far as I'm aware my school doesn't offer much help and support for this so here I am.

How many hours should you spend on an EPQ in order to achieve a top mark? Any other general advice? I'm looking to do it on medical physics but haven't quite nailed down the topic yet. Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of the number of hours, as obviously your project will be different to mine (I haven't got a clue how many hours I spent on mine anyway, it took a couple of months however). However, to get the highest marks you need to go into A LOT of detail, in the Log Book especially.

Other general tips:

- Make sure you correctly reference all of your sources for each quote, image etc that you use
- Use at least three different sources of information (e.g. a book, a webpage and a television programme) - doing this gains you more marks
- Consider writing your essay as you do your research, rather than doing the research first and writing the essay later. This is what I did, and I found that it helped me to identify earlier on whether I needed to alter my title/essay plan, if my original one didn't provide enough scope needed to write 5000 words. Some of the other people who did EPQs and wrote their essays after their research realised that their research wasn't sufficient to write the 5000 words, but by then they were running out of time to complete the project!
- Make sure that your presentation at the end of the project has an interactive element (the easiest way to do this is by having allowing the audience to ask questions at the end of it)

I'll let you know if I think of any more! (Also, I got an A in my EPQ, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!)

I hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest