The Student Room Group

Officially finished my gcse's yay!

Scroll to see replies

what was the hardest gsce
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
At our school the mandatory stuff was triple science, religious studies, maths, and two Englishes, and for my choices I picked graphic design, Spanish, computing, and music. Music was an awful choice haha :redface:

I thought when making my choices for GCSE that I would hate Spanish and love computing, graphics, and music, but it's almost the other way round! Music is terrible, graphics was fun but too much work, computing was fun but our teacher was a bit of a dick and the coursework was way too stressful as we had barely been taught what to do.

If I had to take my options again though, I would probably have switched music for history, because I love history and have no idea why I decided not to take it!

At A level I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry, chemistry, and biology. I enjoy them mostly at GCSE level, but a lot of physics and chemistry is just ridiculously boring, so I have doubts :s-smilie:

I was in a similar boat to you - I thought I'd find History a bit boring and two languages stressful but love Art and Drama, however it turns out I loved History GCSE (apart from the exams) and found the two languages very manageable (enough to do both at A Level lol), but hated Drama for the most part and found Art fun but stressful and restrictive. I should have chosen Latin and Geography tbh, but I can't do much now haha. I would have gotten two GCSEs for Latin as well! :frown: I did, however, imagine myself going into a creative field when choosing the choices but that's not going to happen anymore, I love my languages too much :redface:Wow, your A Level choices are impressive! I found chemistry sooooo boring and physics a little bit boring as well, but Biology was quite fun. Maths was torture also. :colondollar: You'll be fine when you do A Levels, just put in the effort from the beginning! Are you in Year 10 or 11? :tongue:
Original post by Shazen
Yeah it was pretty good! Need more time though then it would be ace to be honest.

Yeah I feel as though I would be able to plan more and write more accurate things. :tongue:
Original post by 99coldplayer
Sadly I have 5 exams left this week - but 2 were already completed yesterday I have 1 exam for each science and then 2 further maths exams!
Enjoy your summer holiday! :smile:

GCSE or A-level?
Original post by george_c00per
Yeah I feel as though I would be able to plan more and write more accurate things. :tongue:

Yeah true
While secondary school might hold some awful memories for some, your school years are such a special moment in your life.

I had such *****y times, but when I look back on the little things I love and miss secondary school. Hopefully you've learned a lot from it, and you'll continue to learn things from it as you grow older.

I hope your exams went well, you get great results and have an awesome summer :smile:
I was in a similar boat to you - I thought I'd find History a bit boring and two languages stressful but love Art and Drama, however it turns out I loved History GCSE (apart from the exams) and found the two languages very manageable (enough to do both at A Level lol), but hated Drama for the most part and found Art fun but stressful and restrictive. I should have chosen Latin and Geography tbh, but I can't do much now haha. I would have gotten two GCSEs for Latin as well! :frown: I did, however, imagine myself going into a creative field when choosing the choices but that's not going to happen anymore, I love my languages too much :redface:Wow, your A Level choices are impressive! I found chemistry sooooo boring and physics a little bit boring as well, but Biology was quite fun. Maths was torture also. :colondollar: You'll be fine when you do A Levels, just put in the effort from the beginning! Are you in Year 10 or 11? :tongue:

Year 11, I assume you are too? And yeah I hated maths at the start of year 10 but sort of came around to it towards the end, now I have sort of a love hate relationship with maths lol, it's sometimes so interesting and fun and othertimes is just **** and I hate it, but that's usually because I had a load of areas I was weak at due to not paying attention for the entirety of year 10, but I managed to learn all (well, most) of that content just in time for the exam :redface:
Year 11, I assume you are too? And yeah I hated maths at the start of year 10 but sort of came around to it towards the end, now I have sort of a love hate relationship with maths lol, it's sometimes so interesting and fun and othertimes is just **** and I hate it, but that's usually because I had a load of areas I was weak at due to not paying attention for the entirety of year 10, but I managed to learn all (well, most) of that content just in time for the exam :redface:

Yes, I am/was in Year 11 (last exam today!!!!!!!!) but I understand where you are coming from with Maths, I just didn't put enough effort into Year 10 maths which is bad as teachers skipped over certain things presuming we'd all know how to do it when I didn't. I also had 4 different teachers throughout my 2 years which definitely didn't help lmao. I did, however, feel as though I've done ok in GCSE Maths overall however I really hated not being able to get my head around certain things in class :redface: At least you know know that you need to concentrate straight away for A Levels. :smile:
Yes, I am/was in Year 11 (last exam today!!!!!!!!) but I understand where you are coming from with Maths, I just didn't put enough effort into Year 10 maths which is bad as teachers skipped over certain things presuming we'd all know how to do it when I didn't. I also had 4 different teachers throughout my 2 years which definitely didn't help lmao. I did, however, feel as though I've done ok in GCSE Maths overall however I really hated not being able to get my head around certain things in class :redface: At least you know know that you need to concentrate straight away for A Levels. :smile:

Yeah, haha. This almost seems like the purpose of GCSEs - get everyone to do exams that sort of matter but sort of don't (as in, they're probably not going to affect your chances of going to almost all universities, no employers will care about them as long as you get 5 C+ grades, etc). They teach you how the exams work and how to revise, so that for A levels you know from the start how useful it is to take notes and actually listen - GCSEs are almost practice A levels :tongue:
Yeah, haha. This almost seems like the purpose of GCSEs - get everyone to do exams that sort of matter but sort of don't (as in, they're probably not going to affect your chances of going to almost all universities, no employers will care about them as long as you get 5 C+ grades, etc). They teach you how the exams work and how to revise, so that for A levels you know from the start how useful it is to take notes and actually listen - GCSEs are almost practice A levels :tongue:

Yeah that's true, they also aid you with what you want to do further up the education ladder :tongue: I still don't think I've got the revising technique correct yet though :s-smilie:
Nope.I got time.am only in yr 9:smile:
Woop! How did your exams go?
Im sure youve gotten A*s across the board!
I hope you savoured your time at secondary school, i sure miss it now!

I dont have exams on my college course but i have a ton of coursework to do :frown:
I have a month off before i begin my apprenticeship!
What have you got planned for the summer? You gonna go out a lot or are you more one for staying at home?
I hope youre doing well!! :biggrin:
Congratulation on finishing so early, and all the best for your results! Do you have any plans or holidays coming up?

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Not yet! (I've been catching up on my sleep mostly..aha!) How about you? :smile:
I have 1 exam left which is P3 edexcel and its really tough seeing everyone finish a week or 2 weeks before you! I've had approximately 30 exams in total :frown:
what should i choose
History or georaphy
which ones easier
Original post by Chittesh14
GCSE or A-level?

GCSEs
I am free and finished woaahhhhhhhh
It's alright I guess - do you do it too? :^_^:
Heyyyyy!!! Apologies for the late response!
I bet you are!! It must be so relieving for all the stress to be over with!
Im sure youve aced your exams!! :woo: :woo:
Im sure your hard work has paid off!
Aww! How are you feeling now?

Not great but thats a different story.
No worries!!
Thankyou!!! Im nearly done now so its all good thanks!
Woo THANKYOU!!! :biggrin:

Oooh i bet youre looking forward to that! Its gonna be a good fun trip for you!!
Im going to the F1 in July in Britain! Im pumped for that!
Thats about it haha! Im so exciting!

Thankyou!! I appreciate it!!
So sweet! :hugs:
Whats the next step for you?

Quick Reply

Latest