The Student Room Group

S1 or M2?

Poll

S1 or M2?

I did M1 this year and have hopefully done well. However I see no reason why I should take a harder module when you can take an easier one. Is there any reason to take M2 over S1, considering that although S1 is boring it is an AS module so should be more straightforward? Edexcel btw

EDIT: Probably should've added a poll at the start but oh well:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
M2 is not that hard and S1 is incredibly dull. I'd go M2

Original post by HopelessMedic
I did M1 this year and have hopefully done well. However I see no reason why I should take a harder module when you can take an easier one. Is there any reason to take M2 over S1, considering that although S1 is boring it is an AS muddle so should be more straightforward? Edexcel btw
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
M2 is not that hard and S1 is incredibly dull. I'd go M2

I appreciate that S1 will be far more boring, its one of the reasons I took M1 for AS. But I don't really care too much about enjoyment and just want to pick the one which would be easier to get high ums in. Surely that's S1?
Reply 3
I appreciate that S1 will be far more boring, its one of the reasons I took M1 for AS. But I don't really care too much about enjoyment and just want to pick the one which would be easier to get high ums in. Surely that's S1?

Yeah, although if you're good at mechanics then it may not be too much of a difference, M2 is alright. If you think that your enjoyment will have no effect on your motivation then S1 would be a bit better.
Is D1 not an option? :tongue:

I would say it's easier to get higher UMS in M2 than S1...

S1 is bull****ting and see if the markscheme agrees with you
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM

Don't put ideas into their head
D1 is dangerously disgusting
Don't put ideas into their head
D1 is dangerously disgusting

D1 is the right decision :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
D1 is the right decision :wink:

Statistically speaking I'm 99% certain it isn't
Reply 9
M2 is more fun but S1 is easy af. S1 is little above GCSE in terms of difficulty I'd say, plus there's lots of overlap with GCSE. I think you should go for S1 if you're looking for UMS. Also exam boards can ask real nasty questions on M2.
s1 will make you want to kill yourself.
do m2
Statistically speaking I'm 99% certain it isn't

The content probably requires the least knowledge out of any maths module, it's fun, it's practical, grade boundaries can be awfully high but it's not toooo bad for getting high UMS. :h:
I pretty much cant do M2. S1 was a breeze for me it's just straightforward (but everyones like that I think, it's either mechanics or stats, not both).

If you want UMS, go for S1. Otherwise, it's up to you based on what you find fun.
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
The content probably requires the least knowledge out of any maths module, it's fun, it's practical, grade boundaries can be awfully high but it's not toooo bad for getting high UMS. :h:

Fun? I guess it's a matter of taste..
Original post by smartsy
M2 is more fun but S1 is easy af. S1 is little above GCSE in terms of difficulty I'd say, plus there's lots of overlap with GCSE. I think you should go for S1 if you're looking for UMS. Also exam boards can ask real nasty questions on M2.

Exam boards do ask nasty questions on M2, that exam the other day really took the biscuit.
Original post by Craig1998
Exam boards do ask nasty questions on M2, that exam the other day really took the biscuit.

Which questions were nasty?
Original post by SeanFM

Possibly, but tbh I've not heard a single positive word spoken about D1 from anyone whose taken it, it sounds dreadful
Original post by SeanFM

isnt d1 very hard? thats what everyone in my school thinks? :tongue:
Original post by ForestShadow
isnt d1 very hard? thats what everyone in my school thinks? :tongue:

no it's not hard
Is it really that bad? I've not looked into the content in too much detail but how bad can stats be:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest