The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Business exam - Unit 4 thread (22nd June 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Devinely
Sorry to here about your teacher, i've had problems in the past like that before my most recent teacher quit.

Unit 3 went ok-ish for me, but if I want to pull my overall score from this year up i'm going to have to do well on Wednesday. Thanks for asking :smile:

I don't actually have an account skype but if you want to keep chatting here or PM me that's fine

Do you have the official a2 revision guide for this year? It's been really helpful for all the term definitions.

I'm personally about to die from all the maths i'm having to do, ARR is so annoying.

Edit: Forget what I said about ARR, it's nothing compared to net present value and discounted cash flow, ugh.

Yeah all these maths things are annoying, luckily I did a decision maths module for A level which includes everything like CPA.

What official guide? I literally didn't think there was one.. can't find it anywhere.

Look on youtube for good explanations on NPV. Can imagine it being hard w/o a teacher but it mainly involves multiplying out the NPV (which you'll be given). But the important things about it is that it takes in account the time value for money (inflation, devaluation ect) and therefore shows you what your return on your investment will be worth in terms of today's value of money.

hope that clears it up a bit.. but remember, the whole exam will be on NB and I highly doubt they'll ask things like CPA as it's not on the pre release (the years where it came up they gave a table with activities). Might be wrong though... we all know edexcel
Reply 21
Original post by gekkelekkebekke
Yeah all these maths things are annoying, luckily I did a decision maths module for A level which includes everything like CPA.

What official guide? I literally didn't think there was one.. can't find it anywhere.

Look on youtube for good explanations on NPV. Can imagine it being hard w/o a teacher but it mainly involves multiplying out the NPV (which you'll be given). But the important things about it is that it takes in account the time value for money (inflation, devaluation ect) and therefore shows you what your return on your investment will be worth in terms of today's value of money.

hope that clears it up a bit.. but remember, the whole exam will be on NB and I highly doubt they'll ask things like CPA as it's not on the pre release (the years where it came up they gave a table with activities). Might be wrong though... we all know edexcel

Haha I'm relying on that too as there's nothing really in the case study for it 😂 Although knowing our luck the additional evidence will have the details in for us to have to do NPV or something horrible 🙄

I'm really struggling on the culture part of the specification. Anyone got any good notes on how it links to New Balance?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Original post by gekkelekkebekke

Here's the link to the revision guide on amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Guide-Level-Business-Studies/dp/1905504853

I've been using it all year to learn all the modules and key terms, it's split by unit 3 and unit 4.

Thanks for the advice it was very helpful :smile:

Hopefully who ever wrote this years paper for Edexcel won't have been to horrid about the contents lol
Original post by Devinely
Here's the link to the revision guide on amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Guide-Level-Business-Studies/dp/1905504853

I've been using it all year to learn all the modules and key terms, it's split by unit 3 and unit 4.

Thanks for the advice it was very helpful :smile:

Hopefully who ever wrote this years paper for Edexcel won't have been to horrid about the contents lol

oooh that one! yeah I have that one although it's not official (still great though!!).

Just look at the pre release over and over and think of what they can ask. I'm assuming something about the nature of staying in the UK, unlike competitors.

Benefits are better communication, less risky in most senses, meaning contingency planning can be minimal. Very loyal workforce, they'll likely cooperate well when it comes to changes in the corporate strategy. NB mentioned 'entering India's cricket market was too large of a market' perhaps they'll ask something on that.

current ratio, acid test, and comparing the figures and what they mean (likely 8 marks in totdal).

ROCE won't be asked i think as they made an operating profit loss one year (which makes ROCE negative).

additional evidence is usually only a few sentences but could also include decision-making information.

I'm just clueless on writing 30 mark essays...
How does the exam work, like the additional evidence ? Like is the additional evidence only relevant to Section B or both Section A and B, i'm struggling to see what the 30 marker will likely be :/
Reply 25
Guys apart from CSR and Corporate culture what else do you think is likely to come up?? im like panicking because i dont know what to do with all the info...
Could be a question on moving production from USA/UK to somewhere like China. Potentially the CSR of this
I think the 30 marker will be: Evaluate NB’s decision to basemanufacturing in Flimby (and not in Asia)
20 marker: Something about Human Resource competitiveness because there is so much in the case study about increase in labour productivity, shortening lead times, low labour turnover

I'm surprised a lot of people think Corporate culture will come up. I really hope it doesn't because that is one topic which I am hopeless at.
Reply 28
Original post by MrOlaftheSnowman
I think the 30 marker will be: Evaluate NB’s decision to basemanufacturing in Flimby (and not in Asia)
20 marker: Something about Human Resource competitiveness because there is so much in the case study about increase in labour productivity, shortening lead times, low labour turnover

I'm surprised a lot of people think Corporate culture will come up. I really hope it doesn't because that is one topic which I am hopeless at.

Those two questions would be great if they came up, or anything similar to those. I'm so with you about Culture though, literally don't have a clue about it. If it comes up as a 20/30 marker I'm screwed, so hopefully your right 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 29

Have there been any previous questions similar to this?? Was hoping for a mark scheme to see which kind of points would be made!
Original post by alex9711
Have there been any previous questions similar to this?? Was hoping for a mark scheme to see which kind of points would be made!

Yes the Jan 2010 has a question about basing manufacturing in the UK. I will attach the mark scheme. It is the very last question and worth 30 marks.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Business%20Studies/2013/Exam%20materials/6BS04_01_msc_20100210.pdf
Original post by Nath98
Those two questions would be great if they came up, or anything similar to those. I'm so with you about Culture though, literally don't have a clue about it. If it comes up as a 20/30 marker I'm screwed, so hopefully your right 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately I did a lot of work on NB yesterday and unfortunately, I think corporate culture could possibly come up because there is a continuous theme about culture in the case study particular evidence B. Corporate culture does also link to HR because a strong corporate culture links to the 35% increased productivity, shorter lead times and low labour turnover.
Sorry if I put your hopes up by saying culture would not come up. But regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, it is definitely worth revising corporate culture because it is a big topic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Fortunately I did a lot of work on NB yesterday and unfortunately, I think corporate culture could possibly come up because there is a continuous theme about culture in the case study particular evidence B. Corporate culture does also link to HR because a strong corporate culture links to the 35% increased productivity, shorter lead times and low labour turnover.
Sorry if I put your hopes up by saying culture would not come up. But regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, it is definitely worth revising corporate culture because it is a big topic.

For corporate culture, what are the main arguments each side?
I am really struggling with Unit 4 ..
Does anyone have any idea what the 20/30 mark question may be?
If it were to come about basing their manufacturing in Flimby, other than facing high costs, what can the disadvantages be ?
(edited 7 years ago)
What would be the disadvantages of locating in Flimby instead of China
Original post by masrijude

Inbox me
Original post by masrijude

did that guy send you the answers why ?
Reply 37
What would you guys write if corporate culture comes up as a question??
He mentioned the high premises costs cause Flimby is an expensive city.. He also mentioned that due to high wage costs it makes it hard to compete with rivals such as Nike whom are operating in Asia and are benefiting from low costs
Thats all we could think of
EXAM IS TODAY! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I pretend it's not happening for long enough will the problem will go away? :ashamed:

Well good luck everyone! Let's do this! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending