The Student Room Group

Nervous in interviews

I had a job interview last week for a finance assistant and I honestly thought I did really well. I have social anxiety but I felt like I was completely fine and smiled and talked enough. It was probably one of my best interviews.

I got a call today saying they were going with someone with more experience, and I seemed nervous during the interview.

I'm fine with being passed over but it's pissed me off that I seemed nervous because I wasn't. I have a big interview for a big company this week and I'm nervous about this one, so I don't know how I'm going to look for this one 😥

Does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snowystarks

The comment that you seemed nervous was meant as a tip for further interviews, it wouldn't have been something that they made a judgement on in regard to offering you the job.

In terms of the future, just build on it, ie do what you did last time and do more of it! Even though they said you seemed nervous, they hadn't seen you before, you were probably a lot better than the last time, so you can improve even more.

Interviewers are used to having nervous candidates, and only rarely is a candidate so nervous it really impinges on their performance in a significantly negative way.

Remember, once you've got an invitation to interview, they have already decided they like you and are very seriously thinking about giving you a job. They may be sitting across the other side of a table, in an intimidatingly large room, all wearing posh business suits and not smiling, but they want you to be there because they like what they know about you so far!
Original post by threeportdrift
Remember, once you've got an invitation to interview, they have already decided they like you and are very seriously thinking about giving you a job. They may be sitting across the other side of a table, in an intimidatingly large room, all wearing posh business suits and not smiling, but they want you to be there because they like what they know about you so far!

Thank you, that part especially ^.
I've often been told that i look scared or nervous when i'm not (half the time i'm bored!) so it got to me yesterday, but i'm going to put it behind me now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending