The Student Room Group

Why did they change grade boundries for 2017?

Can anyone please explain this because I've been having trouble wrapping my head around this entire thing.
I heard they are changing the grading boundaries to numbers rather than A*-Us, can anyone explain this?
Also, WHY did they change it?
Original post by Emre Eser
Can anyone please explain this because I've been having trouble wrapping my head around this entire thing.
I heard they are changing the grading boundaries to numbers rather than A*-Us, can anyone explain this?
Also, WHY did they change it?

I don't know why they're changing it but this picture shows the equivalent of the A*-U system and the 9-1 system.
I don't exactly know WHY they did it. But this link should shed some light into this new system: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/setting-standards-for-new-gcses-in-2017
Fortunately, my exams will be the last of the GCSE exams using the old grading system as I too, am quite confused in the new system.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because as you probably know the UK education system has gone to absolute shambles and this year of Year 11s have had a very lucky escape. The 2017+ students will be the guinea pigs of new Tory ideas and decisions that do not benefit the students. If they can make things harder they will. They can't fix the system so they're breaking it.

Sorry, I'll calm down - but really, I have no idea what their end goal is. Most likely they'll end up admitting it was a terrible idea and the grades etc will change once more.
Looks like they are experimenting again.
Original post by miless090
I don't know why they're changing it but this picture shows the equivalent of the A*-U system and the 9-1 system.

I read that Grade 9 is actually equal to the 'new grade' they made which is A**
so Grade 8 is A*, Grade 7 is A, Grade 6 is B and so on..

Quick Reply

Latest