The Student Room Group

The A* study blog with no name!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ?Hannah
Haha, don't worry. The information was obviously fresh in your memory though!
Yep, we all definitely are.
Not in a rude way, but I was so shocked to discover the macdonalds entry requirements! 😂
Aw, thank-you. Tbh I'm scared for that day😂 But we will see what happens.

True I guess :smile:
And me too! They're weirdly high for a job considered the absolute rock bottom - although they let school leavers work there so it can't be too strict a requirement as they haven't got their results yet!
Yeah, I'm a bit scared for mine too. But yeah we'll see how it goes :smile:
Reply 41
:nyan:UPDATE NUMBER ONE 20/06/16-21/06/16:nyan:

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a quick update in regards to my current situation! I don't know if you have noticed, but I am colour coding my thread. My responses to you beautiful people will be in red! Whilst my updates will be titled in green and written in blue.
Unfortunately, I have been bedridden over the last few days. Have had a horrible cold and headache. :frown: Meaning, that I have not been able to go to school. Haven't been able to do any revision... Also, I have not been able to finish my last piece of English coursework yet - due to being ill. I heard that they are being moderated this week, however, mine is obviously unfinished. As only 10% of the year group have their work moderated - do you think that my teacher will still mark my work and hand it back if I miss moderation? Don't want to have to wait until the end of year eleven to get my work back. :frown: Please comment your thoughts about that! Have so much other work to catch up on also.
Due to my mental health, I tend to become ill quite easily. Honestly, my immune system is awful.
I should be back at school tomorrow, regardless of how I feel. I am going to go back to sleep, to try and recover.
I am so worried about the whole coursework situation - will my teacher be angry? I mean I have been really ill, so have not been able to complete it. What will happen?
Thanks everyone for reading! Check for my post tomorrow, I will be updating this revision/progress blog daily.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm here...ur thread looks gr8...sorry.i completely forgot to look at it before...
Original post by ?Hannah
:nyan:UPDATE NUMBER ONE 20/06/16-21/06/16:nyan:

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a quick update in regards to my current situation! I don't know if you have noticed, but I am colour coding my thread. My responses to you beautiful people will be in red! Whilst my updates will be titled in green and written in blue.
Unfortunately, I have been bedridden over the last few days. Have had a horrible cold and headache. :frown: Meaning, that I have not been able to go to school. Haven't been able to do any revision... Also, I have not been able to finish my last piece of English coursework yet - due to being ill. I heard that they are being moderated this week, however, mine is obviously unfinished. As only 10% of the year group have their work moderated - do you think that my teacher will still mark my work and hand it back if I miss moderation? Don't want to have to wait until the end of year eleven to get my work back. :frown: Please comment your thoughts about that! Have so much other work to catch up on also.
Due to my mental health, I tend to become ill quite easily. Honestly, my immune system is awful.
I should be back at school tomorrow, regardless of how I feel. I am going to go back to sleep, to try and recover.
I am so worried about the whole coursework situation - will my teacher be angry? I mean I have been really ill, so have not been able to complete it. What will happen?
Thanks everyone for reading! Check for my post tomorrow, I will be updating this revision/progress blog daily.

Aww...hope u get well soon...I don't think ur teacher should get angry at u...cuz I did that for my ict coursework...we started it at the start of year 10...we were only meant to hv 40 hours for..but I got a whole two years for it...I finished it a day before my ict exam lol...my teacher marked it and I got full marks in it...lol...
Reply 44
Original post by mypetpikachu
I'm here...ur thread looks gr8...sorry.i completely forgot to look at it before...

Hey m8! Looks like you were rather l8, that's not gr8!
:colonhash:
Thanks though, haha. My aim is to keep this thread until the end of my degree. You gotta have goals m9.
Original post by ?Hannah
Hey m8! Looks like you were rather l8, that's not gr8!
Thanks though, haha. My aim is to keep this thread until the end of my degree. You gotta have goals m9.

Haha...that's rather gr9...wish u lx for this one...😝😝
I'm soooooooo bored....
Reply 46
Haha...that's rather gr9...wish u lx for this one...😝😝
I'm soooooooo bored....

image.jpeg
Spot me! :0
Original post by nisha.sri
I'm doing the same as you :smile: But i'm also doing economics which i might drop in year 13 :biggrin: Do you want to do medicine ? If so what you uni would you like to attend to ?

What a coincidence!Yes, I would like to do medicine! I'm only allowed to do 3 A-levels due to my schools rules. Hmm, uni. I hope to maybe go Imperial but I shall research on other universities. Don't know if I can get into Oxford though!:smile:
Original post by ?Hannah
image.jpeg

Lol, are you the child? Nice pic!:smile: Is that your whole family?
Reply 49
Original post by sahra30013
Lol, are you the child? Nice pic!:smile: Is that your whole family?

Aw, yes I am the child.
It's actually my godmother, her husband and her friends. :h:
Original post by ?Hannah
image.jpeg

The guy in the middle...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello, thank-you for taking the time to comment on my thread!
Yes, I have heard about the high standard; dad is a physics teacher - so have heard his view on it!
In regards to understanding the context rather than just memorising - is using past papers a good way to do this? I know with the sciences in my exam board, it is mainly about the application of knowledge - rather than just 'memorising' it. I don't want to fall into the trap of only 'memorising' - so is there a good way to check that I am understanding?
How did your foundation knowledge hinder your understanding at A level?
Do you have to have the 'natural' talent at a subject to perform 'well' at that particular A level?
Currently, I am reading up on the subject that I think I want to do at degree level. But, other than that I haven't really done much preparation!
Aw thank-you, I am not that intelligent though! :colondollar: Private school perfectly fits that description! It is very judgemental also. But I believe that it will allow me to be prepared for when I meet foul people in future life.
Unfortunately, I have no option to stay in private sixth form. I have to go to a state - luckily, there is a very good college round the corner; top in the league tables!
I lack belief in myself, causing me to worry and stress in the exam. Those are still excellent GCSE results though! I always find the Sciences to be the hardest.
Thank-you! I wish you luck in the world also! How have your final A level exams gone? Do you have any more?
Year 10 has definitely been the hardest year in my school career. Yesterday I realised that I have 6 years of really important exams up ahead of me! The horror!
I am sorry to hear about your anxiety, it is a really difficult thing to live with. Try and use it positively though and come up with methods to cope with it. My dad (who also struggles with mental health) says that anxiety never goes, you just have to find ways to cope.
I have finally been able to find those sorts of people! It has taken me a long time, but I have finally found people like that. Have only managed to find two though! We help and support each other - all having our own, individual goals.
Thank-you! Good luck to you also! Are you going to university next year?
Again, I really do appreciate your kindness and advice which you have given me - I will definitely try to follow it. :smile:

Sorry for a late response, hope you're well!!
Past papers are an excellent way to revise for your GCSEs, or at least they were an excellent way to revise when I sat them 2 years ago. One thing you must consider, if you want to achieve A* at both GCSE and A Level is: every student can be resourceful. Every student has access to past papers online, and those that care about their grades will do all of these past papers. However, to achieve the highest grades (especially now and, by judging the trend, it will probably worsen) you can't just be resourceful, you must be smart. Exam boards need to separate those who have merely gone through all the exam papers from those who actually have a deeper understanding and academic capability. The thing is with most past papers, you may notice they ask similar questions year on year and you find yourself beginning to memorise or learn the answers. This then stops becoming a test of your understanding but a test of your memory. This can mean you're successful at GCSE however there are fewer places to hide at A Level!! Something I'm trying to force myself to do (although its a bit late now), and this was advice from a friend who got straight A*'s at Alevel: priorities learning concepts over past papers!!!
I fell into the trap of just learning methods for Maths at GCSE rather than developing my understanding around the concepts: especially with things like graph transformations and vectors. Your teacher will throw A Level work at you and you are expected to have a good grasp on the basics. Same goes with sciences.
My natural inclination, similar to yours as it seems, is English. I took English Literature alongside Maths and Physics. The work load for English literature is sometimes overwhelming however studying something you enjoy is one of the most rewarding feelings. English Literature requires a fair amount of research and debate- this opened my mind up more than anything. I have one final maths exam and then I'm done for summer, then I will be studying Law at (hopefully) University of Liverpool.
Your mindset is the same as mine regarding private schools. Moving sixth forms was the best decision I made, at first I thought it was horrendous as I didn't know anybody but the social skills you are forced to gain make you a much more resilient person. I went to sixth form with the expectation of meeting more like-minded people and having some serious fun that you simply can't have at private schools. The latter was true, and I have met some very lovely people however the judgmental people at private schools- you'll find them everywhere. The same kind of people exist at state schools unfortunately, but they're are the minority :smile: Such a worth-while experience- like a roller coaster, really high highs and sometimes really low lows but you will be so prepared for the transition into University.

You seem to be one step ahead of the game in terms of your education, especially with already researching your degree course! What are your plans? I hope you absolutely smash it, you seem so lovely :biggrin:
Original post by yareelit
Sorry for a late response, hope you're well!!
Past papers are an excellent way to revise for your GCSEs, or at least they were an excellent way to revise when I sat them 2 years ago. One thing you must consider, if you want to achieve A* at both GCSE and A Level is: every student can be resourceful. Every student has access to past papers online, and those that care about their grades will do all of these past papers. However, to achieve the highest grades (especially now and, by judging the trend, it will probably worsen) you can't just be resourceful, you must be smart. Exam boards need to separate those who have merely gone through all the exam papers from those who actually have a deeper understanding and academic capability. The thing is with most past papers, you may notice they ask similar questions year on year and you find yourself beginning to memorise or learn the answers. This then stops becoming a test of your understanding but a test of your memory. This can mean you're successful at GCSE however there are fewer places to hide at A Level!! Something I'm trying to force myself to do (although its a bit late now), and this was advice from a friend who got straight A*'s at Alevel: priorities learning concepts over past papers!!!
I fell into the trap of just learning methods for Maths at GCSE rather than developing my understanding around the concepts: especially with things like graph transformations and vectors. Your teacher will throw A Level work at you and you are expected to have a good grasp on the basics. Same goes with sciences.
My natural inclination, similar to yours as it seems, is English. I took English Literature alongside Maths and Physics. The work load for English literature is sometimes overwhelming however studying something you enjoy is one of the most rewarding feelings. English Literature requires a fair amount of research and debate- this opened my mind up more than anything. I have one final maths exam and then I'm done for summer, then I will be studying Law at (hopefully) University of Liverpool.
Your mindset is the same as mine regarding private schools. Moving sixth forms was the best decision I made, at first I thought it was horrendous as I didn't know anybody but the social skills you are forced to gain make you a much more resilient person. I went to sixth form with the expectation of meeting more like-minded people and having some serious fun that you simply can't have at private schools. The latter was true, and I have met some very lovely people however the judgmental people at private schools- you'll find them everywhere. The same kind of people exist at state schools unfortunately, but they're are the minority :smile: Such a worth-while experience- like a roller coaster, really high highs and sometimes really low lows but you will be so prepared for the transition into University.

You seem to be one step ahead of the game in terms of your education, especially with already researching your degree course! What are your plans? I hope you absolutely smash it, you seem so lovely :biggrin:

She isn't that nice tbh...trust me..lol..jk..😝😝she's really nice and pretty...😇😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
She isn't that nice tbh...trust me..lol..jk..😝😝she's really nice and pretty...😇😇

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that input bruv! :colonhash:
Reply 54
The guy in the middle...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely! Congrats, you have it spot on! :s-smilie::angry:
Original post by ?Hannah

Ur welcome...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ?Hannah
Definitely! Congrats, you have it spot on! :s-smilie::angry:

Thx...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ?Hannah

*cough cough
Bbz...u replied to me but u didn't answer the original question..."what are your plans"...
😝😝lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
*cough cough
Bbz...u replied to me but u didn't answer the original question..."what are your plans"...
😝😝lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plans for what?
Original post by ?Hannah
Plans for what?

U know the whole paragraph yareelit wrote...in the last two lines it asks u what are ur plans...I'm guessing for the future...😇😇

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest