The Student Room Group

If we were to leave the EU, do you think the EU would start a trade war?

Scroll to see replies

Accidentally left out poll (never ticked box.)
The argument that we need to stay in Europe to stop a war really annoys me. It makes the UK basically a glorified childminder to the rest of Europe, and I don't see why this should be our responsibility. How pathetic even are the central European countries anyway if they can't manage to exist peacefully without starting wars with each other every five minutes? Are countries which lack this level of self-control really the ones we want to be working with?

EDIT: Didn't read the 'trade' bit! Kinda crucial that. Oh well, I stand by my point!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Judging by the fact that Germany alone makes up for 15% of British imports, I very much doubt it's in the EU's interest to restrict this (especially when one considers Merkel's clout in European politics).
The whole of the Remain case rests on this assumption of a trade war. I really don't see this as being likely at all.

Why exactly would you want to remain a member of an organisation that would want to damage its own members economically out of petty and self-righteous spite anyway?
Reply 5
Original post by SunnysideSea
The argument that we need to stay in Europe to stop a war really annoys me. It makes the UK basically a glorified childminder to the rest of Europe, and I don't see why this should be our responsibility. How pathetic even are the central European countries anyway if they can't manage to exist peacefully without starting wars with each other every five minutes? Are countries which lack this level of self-control really the ones we want to be working with?

Do you know what a trade war is?
Original post by Maker
Do you know what a trade war is?

Oh dammit!!:angry: Didn't read the 'trade' bit! Kinda crucial that. Oh well, I'll just leave quietly now....
Reply 7
The EU will treat the UK like any other medium size economy. I don't think there will be a trade war but the EU will put tariffs on exports and the UK will put tariffs on imports just like they do with other countries.

The EU will also try to attract businesses currently based in the UK to the EU. In particular multinational companies that do a lot of business in the EU like Toyota which exports most of its cars made in the UK to the EU. It would be cheaper for Toyota to more production to the EU and save on tariff payments and be more competitive with EU based companies like VW and Renault.
Reply 8
Original post by XcitingStuart

No. EU countries export a lot to the UK. They don't want that to change.
They WILL

The truth is this:

Everything will be fine.The pound will not drop.
We will be able to make new trade deals and our economy will improve alot.
£350 million will be spent on the country and we will be improving month after month.
Do not let the biased media, experts and rubbish fool us.
There will be no trade war.

We paid more money for their stuff than they paid for ours i.e. they make more money from us, than we from them.

A trade war means they'll be a lot worst off than us.
Original post by Naveed-7
The truth is this:

£350 million will be spent on the country and we will be improving month after month.

You're not still seriously still clinging to that £350 million per week are you?

Regarding the Pound, personally I'm more inclined to believe currency trading experts with a proven track record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36582026
Original post by JamesN88
You're not still seriously still clinging to that £350 million per week are you?

Regarding the Pound, personally I'm more inclined to believe currency trading experts with a proven track record.

Im glad you brought up George Soros. He is a horrible person that is lying to us.
He IS one of the bankers that make profit from our losses. He doesnt want us to leave, because he will lose his profit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88

if the GBP drop, it will help export ...i.e we will earn more money.
The truth is this:

No, an extra ~£168 million will be spent on the UK weekly.

And then we get to decide how an extra £77 million is spent on us weekly.

I support the leave camp, but that is wrong, and so people won't buy and or be persuaded by that.

(£385 million is the gross figure.)
(UK rebate/correction reduces that figure to £245 million. This however is renegotiated every 7 years, and other countries try to get it removed, so it's in jeopardy.)
(The portion of the EU budget spent on the UK reduces the figure ~£168 million. The portion comes with an EU label; propaganda.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(UK rebate/correction reduces that figure to £245 million. This however is renegotiated every 7 years, and other countries try to get it removed, so it's in jeopardy.)

Another Brexit lie.

The rebate cannot be removed without the consensus of the UK.

The only jeopardy is from the UK Government.
No, an extra ~£168 million will be spent on the UK weekly.

And then we get to decide how an extra £77 million is spent on us weekly.

I support the leave camp, but that is wrong, and so people won't buy and or be persuaded by that.

(£385 million is the gross figure.)
(The portion of the EU budget spent on the UK reduces the figure ~£168 million. The portion comes with an EU label; propaganda.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed mate.
Im glad you brought up George Soros. He is a horrible person that is lying to us.
He IS one of the bankers that make profit from our losses. He doesnt want us to leave, because he will lose his profit. <- That is the truth mate.

He successfully predicted the last major devaluation, like I said he's an expert with a proven track record.

He also gives a lot of money away to charity so I wouldn't consider him a horrible person or being motivated by profit to back remain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros#Philanthropy
Lol@Trade War.

The following video pretty much answers the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending