The Student Room Group

What should I choose for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dexterminate
I can remember stuff easily, but my problem with biology is that I only use that knowledge for that topic, when we get to the next topic, all that knowledge before was useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a cracking memory too, doesn't mean it isn't hard.
I'd say probs do physics, maths, chemistry and history.

Whatever you decide, if you're gonna do physics, definitely keep maths since you'll probably struggle without it (it's compulsory at my college to do maths if you're doing physics)

I'm currently doing bio, chem maths and history and I wanna do medicine too so any questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Also - if you find GCSE bio tedious, A-Level Biology only gets more tedious - the actual content itself is interesting but there is so much content it's unbelievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB
I have a cracking memory too, doesn't mean it isn't hard.

Either way, I doubt I’ll find it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Either way, I doubt I’ll find it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao you haven't done A-Levels yet - GCSES were a breeze, honestly A-Levels are gonna smack you in the face if you think they're going to be easy. Biology and everything else is hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sadixx
I wouldn't pick science subjects unless you're really good at them because a lot of people in my year doing sciences have failed because they are hard subjects

They're not hard if you have ambition about what you want to become. OP wants or wanted to become a doctor, thats very ambitious if he/she can believe they can become one and they will get straight As in triple science.

They're so many resources nowadays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Lmao you haven't done A-Levels yet - GCSES were a breeze, honestly A-Levels are gonna smack you in the face if you think they're going to be easy. Biology and everything else is hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am already doing exam questions and past-papers, if I find Quantum Mechanics easy, I’ll find Biology easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, I decided to choose all 3 science and maths :smile: although it will be hardwork, I am aiming for AAAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Four A-levels is a lot of work, but if you can really do it, that's amazing. Why not A*A*A*A*?
I am already doing exam questions and past-papers, if I find Quantum Mechanics easy, I’ll find Biology easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you be so cocky when people who have done a levels are trying to help you? Take their advice, you;ve only done GCSEs so no matter how good you think your projections are, they wont be as realistic as people who have actually experienced the subject. Biology and quantum physics aren't the same thing, so you cant categorically say that because you're good at one thing, you'll be good at the other, especially when you don't enjoy biology. Albert Einstein was great at maths in school, but that didn't mean he was great at his other subjects. Biology and Quantum Mechanics require different skill sets, and a different way of approaching questions. Just listen to people who are advising you instead of brushing everything off as 'easy'.
Reply 29
My entire life I was sure I was going to be a doctor. So, for A-Levels, I was sure I was going to choose Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. And suprisingly, I did love those subjects at GCSE, but I recently grew to love History and Psychology, so now, I am contemplating whether I should remove one and add a humanity.

Now, I LOVE Physics. I have read many books regarding quantum mechanics and Einstein’s theory of relativity. Physics is something I do not want to remove, so Physics is staying.

I am relatively good at Maths and I find it easy to grasp, so 70% Maths?

Biology, I dislike Biology a lot. The only topic in which I love Biology is Human Biology. However, I must say, I am good at Biology, but I am very disinterested in it.

I LOVE Chemistry with a passion. Definitely staying.

Now, Humanities. I grew to love psychology as my friends noticed I tend to analyse a lot of people and I could pretty much tell what they are feeling simply due to looking at them walk. I love history as in GCSEs, history was one of the main subjects I looked forward to.

So what should I choose? Should I stick with all three sciences and maths or should I switch biology to a humanity?

Do physics, chemistry, biology and history

Physics because you love it (and it is a good substitute for maths as it's very maths based)
Bio and chem because they are pretty much essential for medicine
History as you love it; it really well respected and shows breath of skills

I wouldn't say do psychology as its not that respected I. Comparison to the other subjects; if you truly love it so much, then read up on it as a hobby but don't let it use up one of your options

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. Don't take advice from someone who's actually done it then, that's fine by me :colonhash:

And quantum mechanics is nothing like biology, just because biology is the "easiest" science doesn't mean it's actually easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Ok. Don't take advice from someone who's actually done it then, that's fine by me :colonhash:

And quantum mechanics is nothing like biology, just because biology is the "easiest" science doesn't mean it's actually easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason I find Biology so tedious is because it’s so easy. I don’t feel challenged by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The reason I find Biology so tedious is because it’s so easy. I don’t feel challenged by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh. Don't ask for help then.
you could always 'try ' biology and if it isn't for you then swap subjects... why don't you get hold of the textbook and try learning some of the content and then you'll know whether it is right for you or whether you'd be better off doing psychology for example.e
Original post by J.Page
Do physics, chemistry, biology and history

Physics because you love it (and it is a good substitute for maths as it's very maths based)
Bio and chem because they are pretty much essential for medicine
History as you love it; it really well respected and shows breath of skills

I wouldn't say do psychology as its not that respected I. Comparison to the other subjects; if you truly love it so much, then read up on it as a hobby but don't let it use up one of your options

Wow, thanks :smile: I’ll definitely consider this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, I feel it's better to base your decisions not on your gut feelings, but on the practical aspects of it.

Sure - you might like chemistry now, but are you sure you will like chemistry 18 months down the line? AS/GCSE Chemistry is straightforward enough to hit A grades, but A2 in EdExcel involves Transition Metals and Nitrogen/Benzene - where dropping 20 marks is 100UMS (that's how hard everyone finds it).

The best way to check is to well, have a go. It'll save you from a world of hurt if you can decisively rule out subjects that are simply far too much.

NB - quantum theory is only easy at a superficial level, it gets much harder later on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
If you want to be a doctor, then by not picking biology you're severely limiting your options. However, it's hard enough at A level, not enjoying it will just make it even more so...

It's such *******s though because A level biology was boring albeit easy and I never even needed it during MedSchool. I sort of curse that I had to drop my language choice at A2 :frown:
Original post by Moodicrus
I agree, I'm not gonna question you on why you want to become a doctor if biology doesn't interest you but it does raise a few questions about how much you know about being a doctor. Wanting to do medicine from a young age is really one of the worst reasons because you haven't been exposed to what healthcare is like (sorry if im just assuming your situation). I would say get work experience or start volunteering in hospitals before saying that you want to become a doctor and find some real reasons why medicine is your passion :smile:

An interest in biology is simply not needed for medschool or medicine! I had little if any interest in Biology/Maths/Chem and I only did them because I had to! I'm fascinated by the human body and the various pathologies and speaking to loads of new people, not ecology!!!

My teachers were awesome at school and that helped but in honesty my interest for medicine came from volunteering, absolutely nothing on the curriculum really interested me!

Pre-clin Med is anatomy and physiology and ethics. There's a tiny bit of maths, Chem and bio but nowhere near enough to say if you don't enjoy them then don't do medicine. As for wanting to do it from a young age, think a hell of a lot of medschool did it because of that reason and it's as good as any in my opinion :smile: Some people do it for the science, some from work ex, some because they to change the world some because they just like caring! Why we do it is what makes us unique!
Original post by Zygomaticus
An interest in biology is simply not needed for medschool or medicine! I had little if any interest in Biology/Maths/Chem and I only did them because I had to! I'm fascinated by the human body and the various pathologies and speaking to loads of new people, not ecology!!!

My teachers were awesome at school and that helped but in honesty my interest for medicine came from volunteering, absolutely nothing on the curriculum really interested me!

Pre-clin Med is anatomy and physiology and ethics. There's a tiny bit of maths, Chem and bio but nowhere near enough to say if you don't enjoy them then don't do medicine. As for wanting to do it from a young age, think a hell of a lot of medschool did it because of that reason and it's as good as any in my opinion :smile: Some people do it for the science, some from work ex, some because they to change the world some because they just like caring! Why we do it is what makes us unique!

Biology is a very broad field, I'm not interested in Ecology, but I am interested in Human Biology and Genetics: which still counts as biology. Anatomy and Physiology are definitely part of biology. Ecology is not representative of biology. I wasn't a fan of GCSE biology anyway and i DID say that A Level biology was much more enjoyable because it did have more human biology.
And maybe i said it wrong but what I meant was that wanting to do medicine froma young age by itself is a silly reason ( which i stand by) and I DID say to get some work experience/ volunteering. But if you categorically do not like Biology and haven't done proper work experience/volunteering then I wouldn't recommend Medicine for anyone, surely?
Original post by Moodicrus
Biology is a very broad field, I'm not interested in Ecology, but I am interested in Human Biology and Genetics: which still counts as biology. Anatomy and Physiology are definitely part of biology. Ecology is not representative of biology. I wasn't a fan of GCSE biology anyway and i DID say that A Level biology was much more enjoyable because it did have more human biology.
And maybe i said it wrong but what I meant was that wanting to do medicine froma young age by itself is a silly reason ( which i stand by) and I DID say to get some work experience/ volunteering. But if you categorically do not like Biology and haven't done proper work experience/volunteering then I wouldn't recommend Medicine for anyone, surely?

I was trying to emphasise that not being interested in the biology curriculum at GCSE and A level is fine for a future in medicine! I'd consider anatomy and physiology their own respective fields, especially since physiology takes aspects from the wider fields of biology, Chem, maths etc and can't be tied down to any one of those fields.

As for anatomy, it's definitely not biology in my eyes! It's learning structures, naming them, understanding the various pathologies that can occur with them and how they fit in to wider systems and regions! Their functions (physiology) has been explained^^^

I don't know about the whole voluntary work/ work ex. Whilst it's certainly a good way to see if you're interested in medicine it's not the only way. You don't even really know what the degree or future encompasses until you're a first year imo. So to base it off some experience at a care home or ward round as a year 12 is slightly naive, indeed I think lab research is definitely a better way to see if you're interested since pre-clin Med is very heavy in science! Besides OP hasn't said whether it's all of biology they don't like or just what they've done at school!

Quick Reply

Latest