The Student Room Group

Choosing my A-levels

I've just finished my GCSE exams and am thinking over my subject choices at a-level.

Since it's probably going to be relevant, here is a list of what future jobs I might want to go into:

Something in medicine
Architecture
Engineering
Astrophysics
Computer Science

I Know that I definitely want to do maths, physics and Chemistry. For my fourth a-level I was thinking of either doing Biology (to compliment chemistry incase I want to go into medicine) or English literature (to show that I have essay based skills). I was also thinking of taking an art a-level but after school out of hours because my college offers it as an after school class anyway. I can also choose to drop this art a-level at any time because it's not part of regular school.

I've heard art a-level can be a lot of work and takes up a lot of time. I would also like to participate in a club and maybe do an EPQ at some point.

So overall I have a few questions,
1) If I choose to do 4 a-levels (maybe drop one after the first year) + an art out of hours a level, would the work load be too much?
2) Which 4th a-level should I choose to do, Biology or English literature?

Thank you :smile:
Quite a lot of med schools require chemistry and biology, so I think you should do biology. Doing English lit just for the sake of doing an essay based subject isn't a good enough reason in my opinion. Doing 4 A levels is hard work, and frankly with the new A level changes, it is not advisable. But you certainly shouldn't attempt 4 A levels and Art.
If you definate with doing something in medicine than choose biology,
Other wise choose english to keep your options more open
Reply 3
Biology. It will also give you an alternative pathway if you change your mind in the future
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
Quite a lot of med schools require chemistry and biology, so I think you should do biology. Doing English lit just for the sake of doing an essay based subject isn't a good enough reason in my opinion. Doing 4 A levels is hard work, and frankly with the new A level changes, it is not advisable. But you certainly shouldn't attempt 4 A levels and Art.

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anmol_.
Biology. It will also give you an alternative pathway if you change your mind in the future

Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by fgardhouse
If you definate with doing something in medicine than choose biology,
Other wise choose english to keep your options more open

Reply 7
Personally unless you are sure you want to go into something medicine based i wouldnt do all the sciences, ive been told together they are so difficult and you will have an endless work load, unless thats what you want? I dont beleive that for any other of the list you have to do anything specific at A level? I might be wrong, i did psychology, History and Law at A2 all of which are pretty much essay based, if you are unsure id probably go for English, you might suprise yourself!

Remember medicine is a course thats very high in demand, youd need to know pretty soon into the year to start getting things that look desirable on your personal statement and the submition date is earlier than others, and its pretty competitive, good luck with whatever you decide 😄😄

Wouldnt do the Art though 4 A levels are enough especially if you want to do all 4 at A2, think of how stressed youll be around exams with around 8 exams all close together and Art work due in😣
(edited 7 years ago)
tbh, you should take biology as an A Level if it is something that genuinely interests you, not just because it goes with chemistry and is a necessity for medicine. You can't do medicine without loving biology (even though it is chemistry that is the requirement for all unis).
So Biology if you are certain about medicine.
But for the other fields, you have all the necessary subjects so you can choose anything as your 4th/

Quick Reply

Latest