The Student Room Group

C3 edexcel june 2016 unofficial mark scheme

Hey guys, please post the answers to the 22nd June 2016 chemistry C3 EDEXCEL paper here. Some answers would be here shortly. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The answer for the tick boxes for question one was A then D
Reply 2
Last six marker, the order was Ethene, Ethanol, Ethanoic Acid and Ethane

Posted from TSR Mobile
did you have to specify that it was Ethene, Ethanol, Ethanoic Acid and Ethane or could you have just written Alkene, Alcohol, Carboxylic acid Acid and Alkane
Original post by harry_16
Last six marker, the order was Ethene, Ethanol, Ethanoic Acid and Ethane

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you put for the explanattions for the first colemn? I spoke about the general formulas and the functional groups for the reasons they contained certain atoms.
I spoke about how because it turned bromine water orange
sorry orange to colourless
and because the alkane remained orange
Reply 8
What causes the solution to turn alkaline?
Reply 9
Yeah, you had to specify because the question told you the names of the substances in the wrong order.

I wrote about the fact that Ethene is a hydrocarbon which contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms and the fact that it turned bromine water colourless because it's an unsaturated alkene. I also said that alkenes are used in polymerisation reactions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said that Hydroxide ions made it alkaline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) hard water
Multiple choice:
A
D

Question: what method removes hardness in both temporary and permanent hard water?
Using exchange resin for temporary and permanent hard water. Exchanges calcium and magnesium Ions in hard water for sodium and hydrogen ions in resin.

What are the disadvantages of having hard water in your tap?
Doesn't form a lather easily therefore lots of soap is wasted to form the lather. Can be expensive? Forms Scum when reacting with soap.
Original post by Moon.idk
1) hard water
Multiple choice:
A
D

Question: what method removes hardness in both temporary and permanent hard water?
Using exchange resin for temporary and permanent hard water. Exchanges calcium and magnesium Ions in hard water for sodium and hydrogen ions in resin.

What are the disadvantages of having hard water in your tap?
Doesn't form a lather easily therefore lots of soap is wasted to form the lather. Can be expensive? Forms Scum when reacting with soap.

i also said as a disadvantage that it would form limescale in pipes for radiators etc which will build up, decrease the amount of water able to go through and therefore increase energy prices
Original post by caitlinford3
i also said as a disadvantage that it would form limescale in pipes for radiators etc which will build up, decrease the amount of water able to go through and therefore increase energy prices

I also said that :smile:
Reply 14
I said that Hydroxide ions made it alkaline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote nitrogen hydroxide, would i get a mark?
Original post by VjM
The answer for the tick boxes for question one was A then D

What were the questions for both multiple choice's?
I'm not sure whether or not you'd get the mark because it asked for an ion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Emilysarahxox
What were the questions for both multiple choice's?

I think the one that gave the answer A was that 'which one is the soft water?' And I think for the D one it was 'which one only contained temporary hardness?'
Reply 18
I'm not sure whether or not you'd get the mark because it asked for an ion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok no worries
Reply 19
What was the exact (roughly) question about turning alkaline? Can't remember answering a question like this, how was it worded? Also, the one about showing a dissolved solid in hard water, was it about boiling for limescale , or the sulphate test, I wrote about calcium sulphate being in hard water so therefore the Sulphate test eg white precipitate but others wrote about boiling causes lime scale which makes more sense I guess since it was in water section
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending