The Student Room Group

How was IAL C34?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yua
anyone have the paper/ms?

Not yet but it will probably be available in 3 to 4 days. I'm not sure about the mark scheme. Instead, model answers will be available with the question paper.
How was paper on a scale of 1-10 10 being hardest
how about the Vector Question ?
Reply 23
Original post by majidabdul

Original post by Ayman!
Well, it is a June paper so I see it being similar to June 2015 and 2014.

Correct, a = -1/4. I think the coefficient of = 23/16.

Are they usually much different?

Original post by TheMadHatteress
OH MY GODDDDD that integration by parts one!!!! :frown: i got the answer you got, first then it seemed a bit fishy because there was ln^2 at the bottom idk what clicked in my brain but in a sudden moment of stupidity i re-did it as u=2^x and dv/dx= x :frown:

do you think I'll get a mark for this atleast? God I really feel like killing myself right now!!

I think they might consider it if you didn't cross it out. Well at first I thought I was wrong but I kept getting In256-3/(In2)^2 and was like fudge it :tongue:
Original post by majidabdul

7 purely on the fact there are harder papers
Reply 26
Original post by Imperion
Are they usually much different?

Jan 2014: 100/125 (112 A*)

Jun 2014: 89/125 (102 A*)

Jan 2015: 96/125 (109 A*)

Jun 2015: 89/125 (101 A*)

Jan 2016: 105/125 (115 A*)

Take a look at the trend. The Jan papers seemingly always have high boundaries, despite being more conceptually difficult at times. 89 for an A is ridiculously low tbh.
Original post by Ayman!
Jan 2014: 100/125 (112 A*)

Jun 2014: 89/125 (102 A*)

Jan 2015: 96/125 (109 A*)

Jun 2015: 89/125 (101 A*)

Jan 2016: 105/125 (115 A*)

Take a look at the trend. The Jan papers seemingly always have high boundaries, despite being more conceptually difficult at times. 89 for an A is ridiculously low tbh.

And I was thinking of sitting my next batch in Jan :laugh: 89 is a gift from heaven :biggrin:

Spoiler

Lots of silly mistakes coming in my mind. So long A* btw OP how do you even remember all these ? I assume you finished the paper super fast and checked everything from scratch? lol
Reply 29
Original post by chhhhelsie
Lots of silly mistakes coming in my mind. So long A* btw OP how do you even remember all these ? I assume you finished the paper super fast and checked everything from scratch? lol

You're correct - I finished it in 1 hour 30-35 mins flat. :lol: I had enough time to redo each question. I can't for the life of me remember the trig answers though
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ayman!
You're correct - I finished it in 1 hour 30-35 mins flat. :lol: I had enough time to redo each question. I can't for the life of me remember the trig answers though

Lucky you, I guess doing higher and tougher modules makes C34 piss easy. lol
Original post by Ayman!
I can't for the life of me remember the trig answers though

All I remember is that, after the trig proof question, I got 2 solutions in pi's for the 1st trig equation and 1 solution (in decimals) for the 2nd equation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ayman!
Any boundary predictions or answers?

Here are the few I remember - will add to the OP as people post. :smile:

Area of the triangle = 18√11

Time: t = 11.63

Inequality: 2/3 × (a - b) < x < 2(a + b)

∫x(2^x) dx = (8ln2 - 3)/(ln2)^2

Upper limit = 3000, k = 0.614, nearest integer for dP/dt = 9

Volume of revolution = 17pi/10

Binomial expansion: a = - 1/4, coefficient of = 23/16

Trapezium rule: approximation 0.875, exact = -3 + √15, magnitude of error = 2 × 10^-3

EDIT: RIP LaTeX. :frown:

are you sure about the area of the triangle :/ i got a different answer. please tell me how you ended up with 18√(11)

thank you
Original post by Ahmed200705
are you sure about the area of the triangle :/ i got a different answer. please tell me how you ended up with 18√(11)

thank you

From previous part, you had to make a triangle from cos theta and find an expression for sin theta, and then apply area of triangle formula and show your working as surds and finally get 18√(11), thats what I did.
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't understand the upper limit question :/ , how do you find it out?
Reply 35

thank you

½|XB||XA|sinC and then checked by using ½|XA × XB|.

I didn't understand the upper limit question :/ , how do you find it out?

9000exp(kt)/[3exp(kt) + 7]
= 9000/[3 + 7exp(-kt)]

t infinity
exp(-kt) 0

lim P = 3000

Original post by SaadKaleem
Lucky you, I guess doing higher and tougher modules makes C34 piss easy. lol

Nah, I'll admit. I didn't do any C34 over the year until last week when I started past papers from Jan 14. 1.5 hours a pretty long time when you compare it to Zacken who does them in 45 mins. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Can someone post the paper or model solutions to c34 please?
How difficult were the C4 questions guys?
Reply 38
Original post by edothero
How difficult were the C4 questions guys?

I thought the C3 section was more different personally. The C4 section was standard - no tricky vectors or integrals. There was one rate of change that could have been challenging, but they pretty much guided you through it by saying "express this in partial fractions", "show that dh/dt = blah" and all.
Reply 39
Model answers posted here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending