The Student Room Group

Girlfriend wearing revealing clothes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamestaneh
Lol, the state of society today where people consider not letting your partner dress like a whore tantamount to an oppressive and controlling victorian relationship. Why beat around the bush and walk cap in hand like a beg saying 'oh it makes me uncomfortable so please don't wear that, it hurts my feelings' - tell her to stop dressing like a prodtitute and threaten to leave straight up if she continues to not give a crud.

I agree, it's ridiculous. I even saw a woman with her ankles on display the other day! What a harlot.

What I really find sad is that in society today you still think you get to command what your partner wears. What one person considers revealing another might consider conservative, there is no universal truth, although even if there was it is still their decision to wear it. If you don't like it, don't date them.
Original post by SMEGGGY
To have tits n pussy on show when courting? says more about you, that. Not lady like & morally indefensible. He should dump her, it's whorish behaviour. She seeks attention from other men, ****gish behaviour.

It should only be for her man to see :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
Me, my girlfriend and a few friends went out the other night. I picked my girlfriends dress, she tried them on I picked the one I liked the most. Half way through the night she changed into a more revealing dress for no reason. During the night she got complements from other boys and it really upset me that I went home (I get really anxious aswell and uncomfortable in situations easily). My GF said that it was nothing to worry about, she said sorry for changing dresses from the one I picked and we moved on.

This weekend were going out again and she wants to wear the same dress. I don't know how I feel about this.

Should I be upset that she wants to wear a dress that upset me so much when other people were looking and commenting? I'm not the person to say you can't wear this or that, so I'm in a bit of a situation here.

Any positive constructive comments welcome.
Thank you.

I'm sorry but it is her body and she can wear what she wants. You can make recommendations but you can't order her to wear what you want. You don't own her.
Reply 43
When you talked to her did you frame it as "I am upset by you wearing that dress" or "I am upset by you receiving that kind of attention"? To me if she's wearing that dress for male attention, it suggests that there may be issues in the relationship, if she is wearing it because she likes how she looks in it, then to be honest you just need to live with it (well, I suppose you can leave her if you really wish - it is legitimate to leave someone for any reason, however weird, as you are obviously not bound to them..).
The girls on here tilt me. Obviously she can wear what she wants, but if she wears the same revealing outfit after knowing how it upset him, she doesn't give a **** and wants attention from other boys. If this post was the other way round. e.g. boyfriend takes his shirt off at parties, most of you females would loose your **** and tell her to dump him…
Started wearin less and goin out moree...glasses of champagne out on the dance floor.. Hanging w some girls ive never seen before.....
I don't understand why all the girls in here seem to think that a dress is more important than this guys feelings. It's a dress ffs. And no it's not what the dress 'represents' before you say that. He's hardly controlling her, he just doesn't want to watch tons of guys hit on his girlfriend every night if she's deliberately bringing it on.

He's hardly going to physically force her into another dress so yes, in that regard, she can where whatever she wants but if they talk about this and she continues to ignore his feelings for a dress she has then that's a problem they'll have to deal with.
This makes no sense to me at all. Especially because you are going out together...

All of my friends who are in relationships wear the same types of clothes that they wore when single, I.e quite revealing. It's never even crossed their minds that their boyfriends would care. Because believe it or not they actually don't care. They don't think that because their girlfriend is showing some cleavage or leg, that their girlfriend is going to be unfaithful. Because that is irrational!

This reminds me of when I last went out actually, and my friend wore a tight low cut top, and wore a very padded, push up bra to emphasis the cleavage. Did her boyfriend care? No. In fact she said that he made a joke about how she is being a fraud or something.

The only guys who don't like it are insecure. And that is his problem, not the girls.
If my boyfriend told me what I could or couldn't wear I'd tell him where the shove it.
Oh my...do we still live in a society where women have to behave ladylike to gain approval from men!! Showing tits and arse isnt ladylike?
Women have tits and an arse and sometimes they are more prominent in some clothing more than others?

Are all female athletes and swimmers acting whorish and ****gy? Should they run in a onesie instead?
Are swimsuit and underwear models acting this way, should they put said items on over a full set off clothes in the catalogue?
Are female nurses and doctors when straddling a patient and trying to resuscitate acting whorish?
Im not sure if this is sheer sexism, chauvinism or just misogyny but its damn scary that people still thimk this way!! Face palm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
i don't understand what you're complaining about tbh.
your girl is flirting with other guys? so what? what's stopping you from flirting with other girls?
Original post by AndrewSCO
I don't understand why all the girls in here seem to think that a dress is more important than this guys feelings. It's a dress ffs. And no it's not what the dress 'represents' before you say that. He's hardly controlling her, he just doesn't want to watch tons of guys hit on his girlfriend every night if she's deliberately bringing it on.

He's hardly going to physically force her into another dress so yes, in that regard, she can where whatever she wants but if they talk about this and she continues to ignore his feelings for a dress she has then that's a problem they'll have to deal with.

By that logic should she wear a paper bag to "stop men hitting on her". Pretty women are pretty and will attract compliments.

As others have pointed out, it's unlikely she was wearing a burka when he first met her but is now suddenly wearing revealing outfits, she has likely always worn this and it has only become an issue because he has decided it is.
Original post by Twinpeaks
This makes no sense to me at all. Especially because you are going out together...

All of my friends who are in relationships wear the same types of clothes that they wore when single, I.e quite revealing. It's never even crossed their minds that their boyfriends would care. Because believe it or not they actually don't care. They don't think that because their girlfriend is showing some cleavage or leg, that their girlfriend is going to be unfaithful. Because that is irrational!

This reminds me of when I last went out actually, and my friend wore a tight low cut top, and wore a very padded, push up bra to emphasis the cleavage. Did her boyfriend care? No. In fact she said that he made a joke about how she is being a fraud or something.

The only guys who don't like it are insecure. And that is his problem, not the girls.

This is true for relationships in which there is 100% trust, but if you're going out clubbing and your gf decides to put on her most revealing dress then you are wrong, the vast majority of guys will care. Its about respect, he expressed his feelings and yet she went against him twice which shows what she finds more important.

Guys are insecure because they don't want to lose the person they love which isn't really the problem. The problem is the girl who doesn't value his feelings..
Reply 53
Me, my girlfriend and a few friends went out the other night. I picked my girlfriends dress, she tried them on I picked the one I liked the most. Half way through the night she changed into a more revealing dress for no reason.

I don't get it. She brings a spare dress with her at parties? :confused:

This weekend were going out again and she wants to wear the same dress. I don't know how I feel about this.

It's a bit dickish from her and would suggest a problem in your relationship.
The dress is irrelevant, if the gf is attractive then guys will hit on her regardless. The bf has to find a way to deal with this. The gf shouldn't have to dress more conservative so the bf can relax and sleep at night. What about the gf feelings when he asks her not to wear it, why shouldn't the bf consider that. It starts with this dress but what about when she's in swimsuits on holiday etc, Will that make him uncomfortable if guys are staring then? The real issue is insecurity and if the bf can't deal with how his girlfriend dresses in the 21st century styles women wear then he shouldn't be with her. Just because guys hit on her doesn't mean she will cheat. The dress clearly isnt to seek attention from men as she wore the dress when she was out with him, therefore she obviously makes it clear she likes to look this way for her fella and herself not the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Alextaylor6
This is true for relationships in which there is 100% trust, but if you're going out clubbing and your gf decides to put on her most revealing dress then you are wrong, the vast majority of guys will care. Its about respect, he expressed his feelings and yet she went against him twice which shows what she finds more important.

Guys are insecure because they don't want to lose the person they love which isn't really the problem. The problem is the girl who doesn't value his feelings..

Many girls sound selfish in the Relationship section. Guys generally cannot tell anything or express their preferences in there.
Original post by bethwalker85
If my boyfriend told me what I could or couldn't wear I'd tell him where the shove it.

This. As he would be aware of how I dressed before we got into a relationship.
Original post by Elivercury
By that logic should she wear a paper bag to "stop men hitting on her". Pretty women are pretty and will attract compliments.

As others have pointed out, it's unlikely she was wearing a burka when he first met her but is now suddenly wearing revealing outfits, she has likely always worn this and it has only become an issue because he has decided it is.

I will concede that she'll probably get attention no matter what, so you're right. I don't think this problem will go away with the dress. I wonder if the problem is if the guy thinks it's if she's trying to do or not.

Assuming her innocence in this situation (which I assume is correct) it's an unfortunate situation where you can see both sides. I have a gf too and I hate seeing people hit on her, whether through messages or irl. There's nothing shameful about having insecurities, not everyone is the most confident person in the world. This girl should just understand he's uncontrollably hurt by the situation and make an effort to make him more comfortable.
I will say the biggest problem with the whole dress thing is not that she's wearing it, it's why she's wearing it. It it's just because she loves the dress then that's fine they'll have to work it out somehow but if she's doing it because she likes getting attention from guys and doing it for that then that's not right while you're in a relationship, in my opinion.
Original post by Elivercury
I agree, it's ridiculous. I even saw a woman with her ankles on display the other day! What a harlot.

What I really find sad is that in society today you still think you get to command what your partner wears. What one person considers revealing another might consider conservative, there is no universal truth, although even if there was it is still their decision to wear it. If you don't like it, don't date them.

The only universal truth is that lax clothing, sexual promiscuity and increasingly soft attitudes have resulted in increased rates of infidelity.

That last point about 'don't like, don't date' is exactly my point - if one is insistent on dressing like a harlot when she is taken, then she has little quality as a potential partner and should be ditched asap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending