The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
And yet another example of a right-wing idiot ignoring the actual words used by the reporter.

Trevor Noah clearly links all of the things together. He does not ignore radical islamic terrorism, nor does he ignore guns, or mental health. He links them all together. You are ignoring the reality that is the link between the attacks and the availability of guns in the United States of America.

It is his belief in what radical islam teaches and it's condoning of mass slaughter of innocents which led him to purchase a weapon. The availability of weapons is nor even part of the equation. To claim it is is just an attempt to spread the blame and this prevents resources from being brought to bear on the real enemy.
Original post by Anno007
One can own a 20mm autocannon or a quad 50cal anti-aircraft if they really wanted. They are not banned completely. All machine guns, all rifles, all pistols, all shotguns, etc are legal.

You just need section 5.

Your as full of crap as a Christmas goose.
Original post by Alexion
oh yes because I was really concerned about the specifics there...

If you concerned yourself more with specifics your comments would be relevant.
Original post by Anno007
Yes they are. The AR-15 for instance is an automatic rifle as the firearm automatically cycles rounds between trigger pulls. It is not fully-automatic however.

When he said automatic he meant full auto.

He didn't mean semi auto

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oldercon1953
Your as full of crap as a Christmas goose.

It is a statement of fact. How else do you think businesses like BAE systems make their weapons legally?
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
When he said automatic he meant full auto.

He didn't mean semi auto

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you meant, don't worry. I was just pointing out a technicality insincerely, don't take it seriously.

'He' was a she by the way.
The trigger of a 45 can be pulled as fast as the trigger of an AR-15.
I think the number of targets, and their proximity to you are the main factors that determine number of victims. If there are more targets available and you need to change magazines, the speed with which you can do this would also become a factor
My point here is that a shooter with a 45 and a few extra loaded clips in their pocket can do as much damage as a shooter with an AR-15 and a few extra clips.

long guns (rifles) are either, single shot bolt action where the shooter has to manually pull the bolt back to eject the spent round and rechamber a new round, semi-automatic where some of the gas produced when a round goes off is used to drive the bolt back and rechamber the next round. It does this one time only with each pull of the trigger. Next would be a fully auto weapon, (machine gun). The trigger need be pulled one time and the weapon will reload itself and fire until the ammunition is gone. Most fully autos have a three round burst feature on them where the trigger must be pulled after every third round than three more rounds will fire in an automatic fashion. These weapons have been illegal for decades. In 50 years of shooting I've known one person who has had one in his possession. He gor rid of it quickly because it is not something you want to get caught with.

Clips.........Urghh................

50 years of shooting............calls them clips.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Besides how do you clowns go about seizing over 300 MILLION firearms??

Only a deluded cuck thinks he could do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
The trigger of a 45 can be pulled as fast as the trigger of an AR-15.
I think the number of targets, and their proximity to you are the main factors that determine number of victims. If there are more targets available and you need to change magazines, the speed with which you can do this would also become a factor
My point here is that a shooter with a 45 and a few extra loaded clips in their pocket can do as much damage as a shooter with an AR-15 and a few extra clips.

long guns (rifles) are either, single shot bolt action where the shooter has to manually pull the bolt back to eject the spent round and rechamber a new round, semi-automatic where some of the gas produced when a round goes off is used to drive the bolt back and rechamber the next round. It does this one time only with each pull of the trigger. Next would be a fully auto weapon, (machine gun). The trigger need be pulled one time and the weapon will reload itself and fire until the ammunition is gone. Most fully autos have a three round burst feature on them where the trigger must be pulled after every third round than three more rounds will fire in an automatic fashion. These weapons have been illegal for decades. In 50 years of shooting I've known one person who has had one in his possession. He gor rid of it quickly because it is not something you want to get caught with.

i am sure that if a league table of massacres were produced the winners would be using semi-automatic rifles similar to the AR-15.
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
Clips.........Urghh................

50 years of shooting............calls them clips.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I call them clips just as every shooter I know calls them clips. Thats because the term "magazine," actually refers to the area in the frame of the weapon where loaded rounds are stored.
Because banning all guns will work. Just like banning all drugs works!

Oh wait.
If you concerned yourself more with specifics your comments would be relevant.

It wasn't supposed to be relevant, it was supposed to get repped :mmm:
Original post by the bear
i am sure that if a league table of massacres were produced the winners would be using semi-automatic rifles similar to the AR-15.

Perhaps someone on this site could research that question. Judging from memory I think you may be surprised. If you are correct it's probably because people who commit these crimes purchase the same style weapon they see in Hollywood movies.
A lot of the victims of mass shootings are shot at point blank ranges so it really becomes a mute point.
I might also add that the point black proximity of the shooter to the victim does make a good case for expanding concealed carry opportunities.
Original post by Tetragon213
Automatics are hard to get a hold of, but they are still not impossible to get. Also, FPSRussia mentioned a while back that he obtained a Type 2/Manufacturer's license or something like that, which basically allows him to make stuff go full-auto. I agree with the principle of self defense, but the ridiculous number of guns some people own in the states is a little more than concerning. Jim Jeffries, an Aussie comedian, had a very good sketch about the stupidity of certain 'muricans and their obsession with guns,

There is no license which allows you to alter the mechanism of a semi automatic to auto. Most of you know squat about U .S. gun regulations.
Original post by Anno007
It is a statement of fact. How else do you think businesses like BAE systems make their weapons legally?

I don't think BAE sells a lot to Wal Mart.
Original post by DanB1991
Oooops sorry....

Yeah I had this same argument with an american on a tank forum (sad I know), turns out with the correct federal permits you can do so in many US states. Looking it up further once I was aware of this, it isn't actually that uncommon in the US to have private owners with full functional primary and secondary armament.

For an ordinary private citizen to own fully functioning tank is a rarity
I don't think BAE sells a lot to Wal Mart.

Either your comprehension is utter rubbish, or your joke is going way over my head. Section 5 is a UK license. BAE produces in the UK. If it's my fault, please explain the joke.
Original post by Anno007
Either your comprehension is utter rubbish, or your joke is going way over my head. Section 5 is a UK license. BAE produces in the UK. If it's my fault, please explain the joke.

Tbf, Wal Mart = Asda.

But last I checked Asda don't have a BOGOF deal on semi-automatic rifles.
Original post by Anno007

The "joke" was your casual use of the word " legal".

In so many words you said that because BAE could produce these weapons legally than they were legal for citizens to own. It's a safe bet that BAE doesn't sell to walk-ins off the street. Your comment was an attempt to suggest that artillery is as easy to own as a shotgun. It's not.

Be honest now. Your really not the least bit put off by the number of guns in the U.S. are you?

I mean, I read about the number one cause of death for adult males in Britain is suicide and your youth drinking themselves into oblivion and I may think that life must be pretty bleak over there but it ends there. I certainly don't torture myself over it as you folks do over our guns. I bet alcohol use in Britain kills far, far more people than guns do over here.
I can just about understand wanting a handgun for self-defense if you live in a rough area, but I believe that you should only be able to purchase one after extensive background checks and training. Trying to justify owning an assault rifle, or any other weapon with a rapid fire rate, is a load of sh*t. Nobody needs such a gun to defend themselves - they're intended to cause as much damage in as little time as possible. Unless you are in active military service, you do not and should not need access to that type of weapon.

Let's be real here, the conversation about gun control - at least in the USA - ended after Sandy Hook. If 2 dozen young children can be massacred in their classrooms, and the government rejects proposals for control, then there really is no hope.

Latest

Trending

Trending