The Student Room Group

If we were to leave the EU, do you think the EU would start a trade war?

Scroll to see replies

There's already backlash against the EU for sanctions against Russia

France's farmers have been hit hard by the sanctions, you may have seen them protesting more than ever in the last couple of years.

Germany has loads of business ties with Russia that are now put on hold or scrapped costing god knows how much Nothing good comes from these sanctions but if the EU supports them despite harming itself I have to question if they're weak and simply take orders from Washington.

:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Almost certainly, they'll make a show of us before other members of the EU leave.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't see the problems with tariffs, providing they're not high.

Then if they place a high tariff, we just raise ours until they lower theirs to a more suitable level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, obviously, you don't care. You don't own a business.

Lol@ I don't see the problem.

Just higher prices for the same goods. Sounds great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blimey1000
I never said we should stop importing or exporting... i'm saying we can import/export more from other non-EU countries, not just the EU.

And yes, it is pretty simple to buy cheaper from other non-EU countries when we can decide for ourselves, when we take back control.

What is it so complex about buying from the US, Canada etc? You think they won't sell to us?

Desls take years to finalise, the deal with Canada taking 7 years being a prime example. Like I said before the EU already has over 50 trade deals with non EU countries that we would lose out on if we left. The US is already out biggest export market country wise and have said they're only interested in free trade blocks, not individual deals with countries. The only way we're getting a better deal with them in or out is joining TTIP.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/29/us-warns-britain-it-could-face-trade-barriers-if-it-leaves-eu

500 million people and 1/3 of the worlds wealth also means more negotiation power when making deals.
Original post by JamesN88
Desls take years to finalise, the deal with Canada taking 7 years being a prime example. Like I said before the EU already has over 50 trade deals with non EU countries that we would lose out on if we left. The US is already out biggest export market country wise and have said they're only interested in free trade blocks, not individual deals with countries. The only way we're getting a better deal with them in or out is joining TTIP.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/29/us-warns-britain-it-could-face-trade-barriers-if-it-leaves-eu

500 million people and 1/3 of the worlds wealth also means more negotiation power when making deals.

50 "trade deals" (most of which are not even "Free") is frankly not good enough - there're around 300 countries in the world.

As i was saying, we don't have to contend with or be bog down with.. for example French demand to protect their wine, cheese, Italian shoes etc etc as part of the EU... i.e. our list of trade demands will be a lot shorter than the EU's list, we'll be more nimble and can do this quicker.

btw the US have their own political agenda - wanting us to remain in the EU. They want an "Anglo-Saxon" voice in the EU so to say...
(edited 7 years ago)
50 "trade deals" (most of which are not even "Free":wink: is frankly not good enough - there're around 300 countries in the world.

As i was saying, we don't have to contend with or be bog down with.. for example French demand to protect their wine, cheese, Italian shoes etc etc as part of the EU... i.e. our list of trade demands will be a lot shorter than the EU's list, we'll be more nimble and can do this quicker.

btw the US have their own political agenda - wanting us to remain in the EU. They want an "Anglo-Saxon" voice in the EU so to say...

Explain how they aren't "trade deals" or "free", when they clearly are.

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2012/november/tradoc_150129.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, obviously, you don't care. You don't own a business.

Lol@ I don't see the problem.

Just higher prices for the same goods. Sounds great.

Don't be stupid.

That's like a leave campaigner saying the £385 million gross figure without saying the other economic arguments they believe to be true and without saying / implying they believe this wouldn't be offset by sth else.

I never once mentioned we wouldn't lose anything; we lose some advantages of being in the Common Market, and we gain some others being out, you dipshit. And I believe that overall we are economically better out than in, whilst you believe that we are economically better in/you believe that we have certainty in. That's a given.

#Strawman.

Now don't be a pleb and let's get on with our lives.
(edited 7 years ago)
According to a German who represents German industry it would be "very, very foolish" if the EU were to impose trade barriers on the UK after Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060

So that's cleared that one up. Any more scare stories from the Remainers?
Original post by Naveed-7
Im glad you brought up George Soros. He is a horrible person that is lying to us.
He IS one of the bankers that make profit from our losses. He doesnt want us to leave, because he will lose his profit.

He is such a scummy individual.
Explain how they aren't "trade deals" or "free", when they clearly are.

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2012/november/tradoc_150129.pdf

Sure, protectionism can take many forms, 0% tariff does not means its "Free" trade, its can be more subtle, like the use of regulations ..

For example .... Champagne for many decades (if not century) was a type of wine, produce in France (granted it originated from France), Italy, Australia (they're pretty good btw) i.e. across the world etc etc ... but some how back in 2012, the EU declared that to use the word "Champagne" on a wine, the wine has to come from the Champagne region of France.... so basically, all current producers in Italy, Australia etc are left at a disadvantage ... considering the word was use for many many years prior to the regulation in 2012....I really don't think that's "Free" trade, Do you?

In any case, at best its a grey area, at worst down right protectionism.
Sure, protectionism can take many forms, 0% tariff does not means its "Free" trade, its can be more subtle, like the use of regulations ..

For example .... Champagne for many decades (if not century) was a type of wine, produce in France (granted it originated from France), Italy, Australia (they're pretty good btw) i.e. across the world etc etc ... but some how back in 2012, the EU declared that to use the word "Champagne" on a wine, the wine has to come from the Champagne region of France.... so basically, all current producers in Italy, Australia etc are left at a disadvantage ... considering the word was use for many many years prior to the regulation in 2012....I really don't think that's "Free" trade, Do you?

In any case, at best its a grey area, at worst down right protectionism.

Trade without tariffs is free trade, as it's free to trade goods without paying customs duties.

The same name protection rule applies to Cornish Pasties. I don't see a massive problem with something named after a region having to come from that region. Makes sense if you ask me as otherwise they're piggybacking on somewhere else's success rather than their own.

Scotch Whisky only coming from Scotland being another example. You can make whisky anywhere else but can't call it Scotch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't be stupid.

That's like a leave campaigner saying the £385 million gross figure without saying the other economic arguments they believe to be true and without saying / implying they believe this wouldn't be offset by sth else.

I never once mentioned we wouldn't lose anything; we lose some advantages of being in the Common Market, and we gain some others being out, you dipshit. And I believe that overall we are economically better out than in, whilst you believe that we are economically better in/you believe that we have certainty in. That's a given.

#Strawman.

Now don't be a pleb and let's get on with our lives.

Nothing to do with what I said.

Hahaha.

You couldn't even address my point about goods becoming more expensive to import.

Talked about 385 Million ( going up all the time) with some generic waffle about having some benefits of the common market without specifying anything.

Like I said before, you don't care about tariffs because you don't own a business. Mainly exporting business to the EU do for obvious reasons.
Trade without tariffs is free trade, as it's free to trade goods without paying customs duties.

The same name protection rule applies to Cornish Pasties. I don't see a massive problem with something named after a region having to come from that region. Makes sense if you ask me as otherwise they're piggybacking on somewhere else's success rather than their own.

No no no ... you need to study your basic economics! If you can't see it then i can't help you.
No no no ... you need to study your basic economics! If you can't see it then i can't help you.

I need to?

Preventing knock offs doesn't amount to protectionism.
I need to?

Preventing knock offs doesn't amount to protectionism.

Yeah because all Champagne from the French's Champagne region are better than all others Champagne around the world,

Just like all British Fish and Chips are better than all fish and chips across the world ...

Get real,
Yeah because all Champagne from the French's Champagne region are better than all others Champagne around the world,

Just like all British Fish and Chips are better than all fish and chips across the world ...

Get real,

Get a grip of yourself.

You can't call it British Fish and Chips if it isn't from Britain.

You can't call it Champagne if it isn't from Champagne.

You can't call it Scotch Whisky if it isn't from Scotland.

You can't call it a Cornish Patsy if it isn't from Cornwall.

You can't call a new potato a Jersey Royal if it isn't from Jersey.

etc.............

Get the picture?
Nothing to do with what I said.

Hahaha.

You couldn't even address my point about goods becoming more expensive to import.

Talked about 385 Million ( going up all the time) with some generic waffle about having some benefits of the common market without specifying anything.

Like I said before, you don't care about tariffs because you don't own a business. Mainly exporting business to the EU do for obvious reasons.

If the gross figure of £55 million a day is correct, the [gross] figure of £385 million [weekly] is correct.

55 x 7 = 385.

I presumed they just rounded it down to £350 million a week for better marketing; easier to digest / swallow.
Original post by Foo.mp3
In a word: no. T'would benefit no-one, and go completely against the grain of the past 70 years of trade and international relations. #RealTalk

I don't think so, at all, unless they weirdly decide to indulge in petty revenge and spite.

I just wanted to know what Bremainers thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think so, at all, unless they weirdly decide to indulge in petty revenge and spite.

I just wanted to know what Bremainers thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with revenge.

They cannot allow the UK to have Single Access without Free Movement because then there is no point to the EU. The French would leave next and they are an even bigger export market than the UK.

I don't really see what else you are expecting them to do. The best the UK can hope for is an agreement with limited tariffs.
Well, I don't think it has anything to do with revenge.

They cannot allow the UK to have Single Access without Free Movement because then there is no point to the EU. The French would leave next and they are an even bigger export market than the UK.

I don't really see what else you are expecting them to do. The best the UK can hope for is an agreement with limited tariffs.

Tariff-free trade stretches from non-EU Iceland to non-EU Turkey. The only country in the whole of Europe that has tariffs imposed on them is Belarus, and they have a customs union with Russia. You think we would be treated in the same way as Belarus?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending