The Student Room Group

Baroness Warsi defects from Leave to Remain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Or we try a different question: if they are never join then why is it the official position of our government to help them do so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it is the USA's official position and this country loves to be their lackey.
Original post by Foo.mp3

What makes you so sure? We’ve won the argument, and most Brits do not identify as European (85%) and are fed up with the EU/mass immigration, no matter how the establishment spins it nor how many sacrificial lambs/creepy global Crony Capitalists it wheels out :dontknow:

Lol the delusion.

Going to be fun coming back on here on Friday to see you Brexiters weeping.
Original post by Esoteric-
Remind me to never listen to anything Baroness Warsi has to say.

If she is going to be so weak in her beliefs that she would entirely change her mind about an issue just because of something so trivial as Nigel Farage making a poster that rubbed some people the wrong way, then she is clearly someone who's judgement should not be relied upon

This and most people didn't even know she was for brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
I didn't put it together, personally, but I should think it was designed to make people stop and think about what's going on in Europe re: The Migrant Crisis atm and about the UK's direction of travel if we remain within the EU. How people respond to this cue is really up to them, although I would venture that some caution is only natural and, in evolutionary/national survival terms, has historically shown to be 'useful'. I would also add that fear of members of a civilisation e.g. the Muslim world and/or Africa, is not synonymous with xenophobia (prejudice/hostility towards people of a particular country)

Disingenuousness has indeed pervaded both camps; as others have said, they were hoping organisations/institutions would seek to inform rather than persuade. The difference is that, unlike the two political campaign sides, the organs of government, and organisations like the BBC, are dutifully/legally supposed to operate clearly in the national interest/remain impartial, and have demonstrably failed to do so - breaching trust and confidence in said institutions

Furthermore, I venture that the Remain side has been particularly disingenuous e.g. suggesting that 3 million jobs directly linked to EU will disappear in the event of #Brexit, asserting that households will be £4,300 worse off, and that European peace (1945-2016) was somehow down to the EU (1993-2016) or UK@EEC+EU (1973-2016)

I'll assume that a lack of a direct quote in response to my request is indicative of an acceptance that your accusation of xenophobia is baseless and ought never to have been issued. As Boris noted, quoting Sadiq Khan, last night: "in the past we were too quick to dismiss concerns about immigration, even worse, accuse people of prejudice"

Such as?

According to whom?

Quote me where I've lied, or retract

Just as I say: y'all lack a mature and coherent argument :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've lied about:
The EU costing £350 million a week,
Turkey joining the EU,
Over 60% of our laws being made in the EU,

For a start. All completely untrue.
But the truth is annoyance to project fib which is why you're a bunch of opportunistic compulsive liars.
Original post by Bornblue

You've lied about:
The EU costing £350 million a week,

The fact that some of the money comes back does not mean that the gross figure is wrong (although it is more like £360 million). And a rebate is just that: a return of money previously committed.

You've lied about:

Turkey joining the EU,

The problem here is that the politicians speak with forked tongue. They tell Turkey that they are working towards its entry and seek to find ways to ease that entry, while telling the British electorate that it could never happen. It most certainly could.
Original post by Good bloke
The fact that some of the money comes back does not mean that the gross figure is wrong (although it is more like £360 million). And a rebate is just that: a return of money previously committed.

Telling something technically correct but intentionally misleading counts as lying.

If you pay for a pack of gum with a £20 note and get change, it would be lying to say you have £20 for the gum.

You've lied about:

Over 60% of our laws being made in the EU,

The truth is that around 60% of laws including rules and regulations emanate from the EU. You might seek to claim there is a theoretical difference but, in practice, there is no such difference.
The problem here is that the politicians speak with forked tongue. They tell Turkey that they are working towards its entry and seek to find ways to ease that entry, while telling the British electorate that it could never happen. It most certainly could.

Not for decades. All countries have a veto, they have 34 more obligations to fulfil. They are not joining any time soon.
The truth is that around 60% of laws including rules and regulations emanate from the EU. You might seek to claim there is a theoretical difference but, in practice, there is no such difference.

Nop. House of Common library has it at 13%.
Original post by jneill
Another Leaver has, er, left...

Former Conservative Party chair Baroness Sayeeda Warsi has defected from the Leave campaign and opted for Britain to remain within the EU.She cited "hate and xenophobia" as the reasons for changing her position. Her decision came after she saw Nigel Farage's controversial 'breaking point' poster, which was widely criticised for being xenophobic

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-referendum-baroness-sayeeda-warsi-defects-from-leave-to-remain-a7090741.html

She was never part of the Leave campaign.
Not for decades. All countries have a veto, they have 34 more obligations to fulfil. They are not joining any time soon.

Hmm. By that logic, Britain need never have accepted many of the things it is unhappy with in the first place. The truth is that politicians come under pressure to accept things (even though they need not), and succumb to that pressure.

In addition, while this government says it won't allow Turkey in (rather unconvincingly, as that contradicts much that was previously stated), who is to say what the next government's stance will be?
Telling something technically correct but intentionally misleading counts as lying.

If you pay for a pack of gum with a £20 note and get change, it would be lying to say you have £20 for the gum.

No. The rebate is not change and Tony Blair was forced to give up 20% of it for several years (which goes to show how permanent it is). In fact, its existence reduces the amount Britain might otherwise receive from EU funds - to the tune of about two thirds in many cases.
Hmm. By that logic, Britain need never have accepted many of the things it is unhappy with in the first place. The truth is that politicians come under pressure to accept things (even though they need not), and succumb to that pressure.

In addition, while this government says it won't allow Turkey in (rather unconvincingly, as that contradicts much that was previously stated), who is to say what the next government's stance will be?

We don't have a veto for everything , we do for membership.
Doesn't matter because it's not on the table for decades and decades.

Germany has said they'd veto it too.

Besides if the situation in turkey has improved in 60-70 years why can't they join then?
BREAKING: Baroness (!) Warsi announces withdrawal of her bid to become member of Spice Girls

Besides if the situation in turkey has improved in 60-70 years why can't they join then?

They have had almost a millennium and a half to develop and they are heading back into the abyss of mediaeval superstition. I don't think seventy years will bridge that gap.
They have had almost a millennium and a half to develop and they are heading back into the abyss of mediaeval superstition. I don't think seventy years will bridge that gap.

The lure of the EU has democratized numerous countries.
The lure of the EU has democratized numerous countries.

Turkey was democratic, and secular. It is regressing back to the mediaeval period now, and revealing its true colours in doing so.
Turkey was democratic, and secular. It is regressing back to the mediaeval period now, and revealing its true colours in doing so.

I'm not a fan of bigotry.
Perhaps we can stop playing to it eh?

They are not joining for decades and decades. It's a red herring in this debate.
I'm not a fan of bigotry.
Perhaps we can stop playing to it eh?

They are not joining for decades and decades. It's a red herring in this debate.

Way to go supporting Erdogan and his bombing of the Kurds / support of ISIS and then, this is rich, calling someone else bigoted.

Go and read up on Turkey and get back to us ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending