The Student Room Group

Is prison the correct punishment for rape?

I think it isn't. Once a rapist is freed from prison, he will rape again. They should get their d*** cut off and be castrated, that way they can never do it again and can't have children especially paedo's. It is one thing to rape an adult but a child is worse.

(I know women rape too, that's just as immoral but less common and I'm talking about males here).
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your views aren't too far off from religious extremism tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
I think it isn't. Once a rapist is freed from prison, he will rape again. They should get their d*** cut off and be castrated, that way they can never do it again and can't have children especially paedo's. It is one thing to rape an an adult but a child is worse.

(I know women rape too, that's just as immoral but less common and I'm talking about males here).
Posted from TSR Mobile

I support much stiffer sentences but I am not sure if cutting their privates is appropriate
Prison is perfectly acceptable, rehabilitation should also be the main goal to avoid repeat offenders
Original post by ODES_PDES
I support much stiffer sentences but I am not sure if cutting their privates is appropriate

Was this a pun? :lol:
Original post by Zargabaath
Was this a pun? :lol:

:colone:
Rehabilitation should always be the goal. If they can't be rehabilitated and have a fairly good chance of not reoffending, then they shouldn't be released.

The problem with the punishment you suggest is that it's irreversible if it turns out you have the wrong guy.
Prison as a system for punishment is stupid. Rehabilitation is the way to fix things properly.

A rapist is either mentally challenged or unaware of what they did. If theyre psychopaths/sociopaths and are unaware then they belong in a mental health clinic, where they can be handled properly. If they are unaware of the damage they do they need to be rehabilitated.

Kinda similar to parenting. We need to educate people not punish them and use fear.
Original post by samzy21
I think it isn't. Once a rapist is freed from prison, he will rape again. They should get their d*** cut off and be castrated, that way they can never do it again and can't have children especially paedo's. It is one thing to rape an adult but a child is worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally agree with you, OP, rapists are vile and disgusting and have clearly shown they cannot be trusted to wield a penis without hurting someone
Rehabilitation is a nonsense

They should be executed.
Original post by BWV1007
Your views aren't too far off from religious extremism tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually academic research shows that biological based treatments are the most successful in lowering recidivism, chemical castration one of them, alongside other drugs which greatly lower the libido.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Actually academic research shows that biological based treatments are the most successful in lowering recidivism, chemical castration one of them, alongside other drugs which greatly lower the libido.

Sure, if the person is a convicted rapist who seems to not give a ****/ done it multiple times, then yeah. They clearly cant control their urges, and need to be stopped. Its not really a punishment in that case though..

However, if a person gets into a situation where it happened to be rape, as in he got a mixed signal, or just got confused, then even a long prison sentence is harsh.

Lots of people grow up thinking that you have to be the "dominant male" to "get the girl". Its why communities like theredpill exist.

The fact that so many girls swoon over 50shades doesnt really help
Reply 12
Original post by Brokensteps
Sure, if the person is a convicted rapist who seems to not give a ****/ done it multiple times, then yeah. They clearly cant control their urges, and need to be stopped. Its not really a punishment in that case though..

However, if a person gets into a situation where it happened to be rape, as in he got a mixed signal, or just got confused, then even a long prison sentence is harsh.

Lots of people grow up thinking that you have to be the "dominant male" to "get the girl". Its why communities like theredpill exist.

The fact that so many girls swoon over 50shades doesnt really help

If there's no consent, it's rape. It's got nothing to do with mixed signals or 50 shades of grey (which is toxic, yes, but doesn't turn men into rapists). Punishments aside, a rapist (man or woman) should never be defended. There is a huge difference between wanting to be the dominant male and forcing yourself onto someone. And I don't see what there is to be confused about- if someone doesn't say yes, or says yes initially but then changes their mind, don't sleep with them. You might think a long prison sentence is 'harsh', but I think that having to live with the memory of someone forcing you into something like that would be even worse.
Original post by LN1234
If there's no consent, it's rape. It's got nothing to do with mixed signals or 50 shades of grey (which is toxic, yes, but doesn't turn men into rapists). Punishments aside, a rapist (man or woman) should never be defended. There is a huge difference between wanting to be the dominant male and forcing yourself onto someone. And I don't see what there is to be confused about- if someone doesn't say yes, or says yes initially but then changes their mind, don't sleep with them. You might think a long prison sentence is 'harsh', but I think that having to live with the memory of someone forcing you into something like that would be even worse.

An eye for an eye wont solve anything. What I was trying to say, is if they rape because they want to rape/ get a kick out of it, then yeah, I agree with the castration.

You cant just put all cases in one box. Sex is very much based on signals. If the person was fully aware of the person not wanting to have sex with them, then yeah, theyre a rapist. A lot of the new rape cases are just people regretting having sex and blaming it on rape.

Also, if youre out there drinking and consent to sex, then its not really the person's fault. You put yourself in that situation. BUT if you are drunk and someone takes you with them, and since youre drunk you cant fight back/are unconcious, then thats rape, and they should be prosecuted. BUT then we also have the fact that the other person could be drunk, which means they arent really aware of what they did, and arent in the best mental capacity.

If I went out and raped someone but then said that I was drunk and therefore I didnt do it, does that mean I never raped anyone?
Because this is the logic that people use to justify "drunkeness means they havent given real consent". I should be held liable for what I do.
Im not defending rapists. But rape is a very complicated issue. Its not all black and white.

In case you havent caught on, Im against the entire drunk culture. If you go out and get drunk, then you're responsible for putting yourself and others in danger. If you blantantly rape someone and blame it on being drunk, the stfu, you just raped someone. If you consented with someone and then reported it as rape, then its not rape.

Went a bit off topic here, but just wanted to highlight that not all cases of reported rape are as simple as "deranged ****er".
Reply 14
Original post by Brokensteps
An eye for an eye wont solve anything. What I was trying to say, is if they rape because they want to rape/ get a kick out of it, then yeah, I agree with the castration.

You cant just put all cases in one box. Sex is very much based on signals. If the person was fully aware of the person not wanting to have sex with them, then yeah, theyre a rapist. A lot of the new rape cases are just people regretting having sex and blaming it on rape.

Also, if youre out there drinking and consent to sex, then its not really the person's fault. You put yourself in that situation. BUT if you are drunk and someone takes you with them, and since youre drunk you cant fight back/are unconcious, then thats rape, and they should be prosecuted. BUT then we also have the fact that the other person could be drunk, which means they arent really aware of what they did, and arent in the best mental capacity.

If I went out and raped someone but then said that I was drunk and therefore I didnt do it, does that mean I never raped anyone?
Because this is the logic that people use to justify "drunkeness means they havent given real consent". I should be held liable for what I do.
Im not defending rapists. But rape is a very complicated issue. Its not all black and white.

In case you havent caught on, Im against the entire drunk culture. If you go out and get drunk, then you're responsible for putting yourself and others in danger. If you blantantly rape someone and blame it on being drunk, the stfu, you just raped someone. If you consented with someone and then reported it as rape, then its not rape.

Went a bit off topic here, but just wanted to highlight that not all cases of reported rape are as simple as "deranged ****er".

I do understand that rape isn't black and white. I'm saying that if someone doesn't blatantly consent, then don't sleep with them because you can't know for sure that they actually want it. If someone doesn't say yes, they could have been pressured into it, and in my eyes that's still rape. I think that punishments should vary between cases because they won't all be the same, but if someone forces themselves onto someone without consent then they certainly deserve a long prison sentence at the least. If either member doesn't consent for the whole time, it's rape. Obviously if someone consents and doesn't change their mind until afterwards, it isn't rape. What I'm trying to say is that regardless of whether someone said no or not, there has to be consent, no matter what mental state either of the people are in.
remember that many rape cases are actually fabricated... who knows how many innocent men are rotting away in jail ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9894588/Compulsive-liar-jailed-after-11-false-rape-claims-in-decade.html
Reply 16
Original post by the bear
remember that many rape cases are actually fabricated... who knows how many innocent men are rotting away in jail ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9894588/Compulsive-liar-jailed-after-11-false-rape-claims-in-decade.html

and who knows how many victims are living with that memory knowing that their attacker will never get punished? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/100000-assaults-1000-rapists-sentenced-shockingly-low-conviction-rates-revealed-8446058.html
Yes, people do lie about being raped, but there's often such an assumption that they are lying that many people don't report being raped
I think prison is the correct response, yes. You lock them away so they can't hurt others, (hopefully) rehabilitate them so they won't do it again and then release them to (hopefully) be productive members of society.

It's worth noting that not all rapes are men dragging women off the street or drugging them. Does it make it right or less of a crime? No, it does however make it perfectly possible to rehabilitate them and show them what they did wrong. Likewise the duration of their sentence will reflect the crime they committed.

It's also worth noting that if popular rumor is to be believed, prison isn't a fun place for rapists, so they're hardly getting a free ride here.

I've sure everyone advocating death and castration has lived a perfectly charmed life and never made a mistake or required a second chance ever.
tyhis is a bit extreme i t hurts a lot when u lose a penis probebly more than a sex ? so not really fasire meybe they just rape the man as a punishmont?
Silly post. Majority of rape claims are fake, however men aren't valued so why not make them suffer because of a lying woman all in the name of looking life a warrior of peace. When instead you are even worse than those rapists as you like punishing innocent people in order to make up for the bad ones, why don't you hand yourself in first and br our example?

One the last note the blatant sexism cannot be overlooked "Yeah these rapists, chop their dicks off." Then saying "Ohh man or woman it doesn't matter rapists are rapists" only to cover your back. All I can see is that the assumption that all rapists are male in sexists in itself and that women are even worse sexual predators than men as they known to have relationships with minor, they are only good at hiding their tracks better and they probably aren't that scared as the justice system is non-existent for females anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest