The Student Room Group

My Path To Becoming A Lawyer

Hi I am 15 and would like to become a Lawyer, I have been taught at Home for the past three to four years, and have not yet started my GCSE'S, but I need to!
Soon too,the problem is however that I do not know the GCSE requirements to become a Lawyer so if anyone can tell me that would be a great help!
Original post by Mayflower15
Hi I am 15 and would like to become a Lawyer, I have been taught at Home for the past three to four years, and have not yet started my GCSE'S, but I need to!
Soon too,the problem is however that I do not know the GCSE requirements to become a Lawyer so if anyone can tell me that would be a great help!

There are no GCSE requirements to becoming a lawyer (or any other job for that matter). Just focus on getting good grades.

There are two different kinds of lawyer, but the basic qualification they both needs is a LLB law degree, or a degree in another subject plus a Graduate Diploma in Law (known as the GDL, it is basically a law conversion course). If you want to become a barrister then you take the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC); or if you want to be a solicitor, you take the Legal Practice Course (LPC).
Reply 2
But it's time for me to start my GCSES and I don't know what to study

There arent any requirements, jusy do the ones you are good at including Maths and English..
Reply 4

Check out some Law course entry requirements on some university websites. I think most courses wont't care what you take as long as you get at least 8 A*-C grades.

I took English Language, Literature, Maths, Triple Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Art, Computer Science, IT and Full Course RE.

You should definitely do most 'core' subjects as they are usually required for university (English Language and Maths always are required for many jobs and courses). Then pick at least 6 more subjects. It doesn't matter which subjects you take at GCSE so pick things you enjoy. I would recommend doing at least Additional Science as well- you want to have as much breadth in your choices as possible.

There are no required A Levels for Law, but Politics and History are seen as useful, so you might want to take History GCSE to prepare you for these subjects should you wish to take them.

TLDR; You will need Maths and English Language and at least 6 other subjects. Try to give as have as much all-rounded knowledge as possible in your choices (Science + Arts etc). The most important thing is to get very good grades.

Also, how are you going to study? If you're an external candidate it can be hard to sit GCSEs as coursework makes it more complicated, so are you going to go to school? Just wondering.

Good luck!

At GCSE take the core subjects, your optional subjects could be: history, geography and a foreign language- this will lay a solid foundation for your A levels.
OP, please ignore anyone recommending you take certain subjects. I promise you, nobody will ever care whether you did or didn't take a foreign language, history, art, whatever. Nor will they care if you're "well rounded" - they just care about your grades.
Reply 7
Pick subjects you think you can get an A/A* in as the admissions tutor is just gonna scan your application for grades and will not sit and consider every individual subject picked.
Reply 8
Original post by Snufkin
OP, please ignore anyone recommending you take certain subjects. I promise you, nobody will ever care whether you did or didn't take a foreign language, history, art, whatever. Nor will they care if you're "well rounded" - they just care about your grades.

Who is this?
Who is this?

Who is who?
Original post by Snufkin

I would think Maths and English are pretty importnat GCSE's to have.
Original post by 999tigger
I would think Maths and English are pretty importnat GCSE's to have.

They aren't optional though, we're talking about subjects the OP can choose.
Original post by Snufkin
They aren't optional though, we're talking about subjects the OP can choose.

Dont think home schooled children have to take any exam at all if the parents dont want them to.
Original post by 999tigger
Dont think home schooled children have to take any exam at all if the parents dont want them to.

Mm true (I forgot the OP was home schooled :colondollar:), but they're still not optional if you ever want to get a job/go to college/go to university.
Original post by Snufkin
Mm true (I forgot the OP was home schooled :colondollar:), but they're still not optional if you ever want to get a job/go to college/go to university.

Depends they could just do A level. The scope for home schooling is very wide.
Anyway I would always suggest a min of 5 inlcuding Maths and English.
Reply 15
Thank you all for the advice now I just need to know how I am to do my GCSEs and where?!

Quick Reply

Latest