The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century B7 C7 P7 - W/C - Monday 20th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reu_taylor
Fair enough if it was, but why would the atom economy go down if it was supposedly a "new" method?

because the by product was oxygen so that's doing nothing bad, unlike methane from the other one
Original post by reu_taylor
Fair enough if it was, but why would the atom economy go down if it was supposedly a "new" method?

Because not all new methods have to be successful
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Because not all new methods have to be successful

I'm not saying they are, but wouldn't it be a bit pointless to come up with something in general which was worse than the original?
Just realised I forgot to write the answer for the atom economy question! 😫😫 I wrote the calculation and worked it out on my calculator but the answer seemed wrong so I decided to leave it and come back, but didn't have time!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NiamhM1801
Ok that's not too bad then to say I had no idea about concentration
I just assumed that the higher the number in the second column, the higher the concentration of the acid as more alkali is needed to neutralise it, however my friend said that I read that column wrong as she thought it said amount of acid needed to neutralise the alkali whereas I thought it was amount of alkali needed to neutralise the acid. Hey ho

I wrote the same thing as you did...Oh well at least the exam is over now!
Reply 225
Original post by bonnie_x

I'm like 95% sure that it did actually say the amount of sodium hydroxide or something similar to that; therefore, the higher the amount needed, the higher the concentration, so you should be right.
I found this paper quite good but slightly harder than last years paper which was 48/60 for an A*. I think this year, you need about 46/60 for an A*. Six markers were slightly awkward nevertheless very accessible. People interpreted the last six marker differently.
Original post by przm
I'm like 95% sure that it did actually say the amount of sodium hydroxide or something similar to that; therefore, the higher the amount needed, the higher the concentration, so you should be right.

I agree. Definitely said amount of sodium hydroxide added because the volume of each acid was the same
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
How did everyone do?

I thought it went well, at least better that b7. Glad none of those nasty calculation questions came up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought it was okay :smile:
Loved the chromatography and the ester section :tongue:
But the last 6 marker I bombed :colondollar: I just rambled on about nothing really..
Original post by Ananya._c
I thought it went well, at least better that b7. Glad none of those nasty calculation questions came up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spoke to a few people at my school, they just said it went okay or quite well, seems to be the overall opinion.

Personally I think it went well, a little worse than B7 maybe. I managed to answer every question and knew what I was doing for all of them, but a few were very confusing and threw me at first, like that second 6 marker. Wtf was up with that? The one where you had to talk about the bonds getting weaker as you went down group 7, and how this was only the case for some bonds.

They gave you the two tables, one on the left with the elements bonded with themselves (F2, Br2, etc), and the other on the right with the elements bonded with hydrogen (HF, HBr, etc), and they showed the bond energies for each of these molecules. The molecules appeared to be listed in the order of the elements, but then for the second table they were actually listed in the wrong order, and so that was why the first guy's statement was wrong? I can't remember, but it just seemed like they changed the order of the elements in the table to throw people off.
I spoke to a few people at my school, they just said it went okay or quite well, seems to be the overall opinion.

Personally I think it went well, a little worse than B7 maybe. I managed to answer every question and knew what I was doing for all of them, but a few were very confusing and threw me at first, like that second 6 marker. Wtf was up with that? The one where you had to talk about the bonds getting weaker as you went down group 7, and how this was only the case for some bonds.

They gave you the two tables, one on the left with the elements bonded with themselves (F2, Br2, etc), and the other on the right with the elements bonded with hydrogen (HF, HBr, etc), and they showed the bond energies for each of these molecules. The molecules appeared to be listed in the order of the elements, but then for the second table they were actually listed in the wrong order, and so that was why the first guy's statement was wrong? I can't remember, but it just seemed like they changed the order of the elements in the table to throw people off.

You're right but the first table also proved he was wrong because the second and third elements had higher bond energies than the first element in group 7 proving that it doesn't decrease for all elements
Original post by bonnie_x

Oh that's reassuring! And I know thank god - no more chemistry ever!! :biggrin:
Original post by przm

Oh that's really reassuring! Thank you :smile:
How did everyone do?

Good! It was a lot nicer than I thought it would be, which was so relieving. Better than last year's :smile:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
I found this paper quite good but slightly harder than last years paper which was 48/60 for an A*. I think this year, you need about 46/60 for an A*. Six markers were slightly awkward nevertheless very accessible. People interpreted the last six marker differently.

I found it easier than last year's. I got 48-50 in last year's and think possibly 52 in today's. I much preferred these 6 markers weirdly.
Was it greater the amount of alkali needed equals higher concentration?
Is there going to be an unofficial mark scheme? :smile:
Original post by babbajung
Was it greater the amount of alkali needed equals higher concentration?

Yes because the higher the concentration of acid, the more alkali needs to be added to neutralise it
Original post by NiamhM1801

Good! It was a lot nicer than I thought it would be, which was so relieving. Better than last year's :smile:

Nice :smile: I think I did quite well, I'm hoping for 48 to 50 marks. I got 53 out of 60 in the June 2013 paper I did as practice but I think this one didn't go as well, annoyingly :s-smilie: That six marker on bond energies was weird, as was the one on titrations, I was pretty confused at first but I think I ended up doing well on them, and overall it went decently.

Now onto physics :redface:
Does anyone have any good revision notes for P7?
Everyone doing P7, stop worrying about this exam and get revising for the next one! Good luck :smile:
Yeahh that is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending