The Student Room Group

Worried about failing A level - got unconditional

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
uni's can't just "take it back", you've basically already got your place since it's unconditional. in fact a lot of the people in my year who have an unconditional barely bother revising for their final exams. you'll get in don't worry :smile:
Original post by Samiz
Hi, I do English, Psychology and Biology and I have firmed an unconditional offer to do Psychology at uni in September.

My English and Psychology exams went okay and I have my fingers crossed for As and maybe an A*.

However, my biology exam was horrible. I revised 90+% of the content but most of the paper (WJEC) I found to be applied questions which I really struggle with with biology.

I got an E and a D in my biology mocks, and in my biology exam last week I really think I could've got a U. The worst thing is that was the exam I preferred, and now have an even harder one on Thursday. My teacher predicted me an A (I didn't ask for this) but all year I've just struggled with applying biology knowledge, in contrast to psychology where I do so well because I can seamlessly apply knowledge.

Last year in WJEC AS Biology I got 90 points in unit 1 (B), 88 points in unit 2 (B) and 56 points in unit 3 (A), I don't know if these points are then totalled, but if so it comes to 234. I got a B overall.

I'm really really worried about failing biology to the extent that I'm having panic attacks that may be triggered by this. And I'm worried of my uni taking away my unconditional offer and leaving me not knowing what I'm going to do. The ONLY okay thing about this year is that there is a practical unit like the A I got in AS which I should have done okay on. But I doubt that's enough.

If it is an unconditional offer, then they will not be able to take it away. Only conditional offers are based on your grades - if biology really didn't go well, the university will still accept you as most understand that people have bad days for exams and they believe that you can work hard. They gave you an unconditional after all :smile:
You have nothing to worry about if it's unconditional, you could fail all you exams and still be accepted
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses
Original post by Samiz
Thanks for the responses

Do you happen to know why they gave you an unconditional offer?

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
You have nothing to worry about if it's unconditional, you could fail all you exams and still be accepted

Never knew this.
Original post by Samiz
Hi, I do English, Psychology and Biology and I have firmed an unconditional offer to do Psychology at uni in September.

My English and Psychology exams went okay and I have my fingers crossed for As and maybe an A*.

However, my biology exam was horrible. I revised 90+% of the content but most of the paper (WJEC) I found to be applied questions which I really struggle with with biology.

I got an E and a D in my biology mocks, and in my biology exam last week I really think I could've got a U. The worst thing is that was the exam I preferred, and now have an even harder one on Thursday. My teacher predicted me an A (I didn't ask for this) but all year I've just struggled with applying biology knowledge, in contrast to psychology where I do so well because I can seamlessly apply knowledge.

Last year in WJEC AS Biology I got 90 points in unit 1 (B), 88 points in unit 2 (B) and 56 points in unit 3 (A), I don't know if these points are then totalled, but if so it comes to 234. I got a B overall.

I'm really really worried about failing biology to the extent that I'm having panic attacks that may be triggered by this. And I'm worried of my uni taking away my unconditional offer and leaving me not knowing what I'm going to do. The ONLY okay thing about this year is that there is a practical unit like the A I got in AS which I should have done okay on. But I doubt that's enough.

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
This is not entirely correct; you might get accepted but I believe you need two E grades if you want to be eligible for a student loan.
Reply 7
Original post by Ginertain
Do you happen to know why they gave you an unconditional offer?

They're a uni that is 'more known' for giving out unconditional, although, I could be wrong but I think it's about 10%. I don't want to sound arrogant, especially after how my exams went, but I think they gave it me because they knew I would've applied to and got offers from unis like UCL.

I got AABB at AS and was predicted A*A*A at A2 and according to my tutor, my psychology teacher gave me an amazing reference.

That's why I think I got it, but I don't think I deserved it. Not like I was gonna reject it though :biggrin:

And rank-wise it's not a worse uni than what I applied to (aside from UCL), it's top 20 in all 3 ranking organisations. I'm extremely lucky and grateful.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest