The Student Room Group

AQA Biology 5 - 23rd June 2015 - Essay: Predictions & Past Essays

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kings_queens
CAN SOMEONE FIND OUT IF THIS IS TRUE PLEASE https://twitter.com/biology267383

Whether it's true or not, no questions are shown. Doesn't help us either way, although if AQA get word…
Any ideas for what to write if the essay is? :smile:

-the functions of nucleic acids
-factors which influence the concentration of glucose in the blood
-the process of diffusion and its importance in living organisms
-factors which determine an organisms phenotype
Any ideas for some out of spec stuff for a DNA essay?
Original post by marethyu

Unless you were some geneticist there's probably not much out of spec stuff
i've got essays on cycles, shapes fitting together, membranes and their functions, exchanges with external environment and importance of proteins and CO2 all having been marked as 19-21 if anyone has any different titles would be appreciated! for a swap :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by marethyu

Hii,

On the BBC news lately there is this thing about 'CRISPR' that forms a part of a bacterial DNA.
when a bacteria is infected with a virus, the bacteria has short palindromic repeats of DNA pieces that are complementary to the DNA of the virus.

They use these repeats to make RNA molecules that bind to the viral DNA.

Then a 2nd piece of RNA is made from the repeats of DNA interacts with a protein

the protein will then cleave the virus DNA and inactivate the virus

Researchers can use this techniques in Gene therapy to knock out specific genes

I hope this helps!
its been on the news for a While.....which is why I think that DNA may come up as a 25 marker
:smile:
Reply 46
Could some one pleaseeee explain genetic restriction mapping and interpreting its data to me?!
Original post by Sarcastic Goats
Unless you were some geneticist there's probably not much out of spec stuff

all i can think is some genetic diseases not given to you i.e. not sickle cell or cystic fibrosis.
how certain mutagens affect the DNA?
discovery of human genome/pcr machine?
idk not much you can know without doing loads of extra stuff and who tf has time for that when you need to know u1 and 2 as well :/ :')
Original post by zoedisley
all i can think is some genetic diseases not given to you i.e. not sickle cell or cystic fibrosis.
how certain mutagens affect the DNA?
discovery of human genome/pcr machine?
idk not much you can know without doing loads of extra stuff and who tf has time for that when you need to know u1 and 2 as well :/ :':wink:

My biology teacher said that as sickle cell and cystic fibrosis actually aren't mentioned specifically in the spec and are given as examples you can gain synoptic marks for it.

Also - if you do chemistry, you can get out of spec marks for hydrogen bonding apparently.
What topics are people thinking about talking about if DNA comes up from the different units?
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
My biology teacher said that as sickle cell and cystic fibrosis actually aren't mentioned specifically in the spec and are given as examples you can gain synoptic marks for it.

Also - if you do chemistry, you can get out of spec marks for hydrogen bonding apparently.

Yea sickle cell anemia, SCID and CF all count as 'content not on the specification' and therefore count as additional information :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by zoedisley
i've got essays on cycles, shapes fitting together, membranes and their functions, exchanges with external environment and importance of proteins and CO2 all having been marked as 19-21 if anyone has any different titles would be appreciated! for a swap :smile:

Me!
I've got negative feedback, DNA in science and technology or importance of water?
So guys

So guys here are Pollock's Predictions, shall we plan them?

Spoiler

Original post by hopingmedicinae
So guys

Spoiler

Yessss let's plan them :smile:
Ahaha and do share these plans, and when I say plans, be specific all AS knowledge has leaked out of my head
Original post by hopingmedicinae
So guys

Spoiler

He also said how populations change, and the factors that cause these changes
does anyone know the importance of writing a really captivating intro? can we just get right into the content straight away?
Original post by charlie2466
Yessss let's plan them :smile:

what could you write for transport and exchange systems?!
What would you write for 'many functions of concentration gradients'?
Original post by ranimayx
What would you write for 'many functions of concentration gradients'?

Synaptic transmission
Sodium potassium pump -
Maintaining resting potential
Diffusion of IAA
Active transport in the small intestine
Oral rehydration solution - vibrio cholerae
Diffusion through the membrane - maybe mRNA into the cytoplasm through the nuclear pore?
Diffusion of hydrogen ions through ATP synthase in the electron transport chain

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending