The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Inertia n forces

Posted from TSR Mobile

Force exerted by the axis? Are you saying, in general, do the rotational dynamics questions first?

The thing is that I will only be able to do a dozen or so mech questions until tomorrow's exam, so I just want to do the ones which are pretty standard. Just like the integral question this year for STEP II was pretty standard, and has come up quite a few times before, would you say there are such questions like that but for mechanics?
Original post by physicsmaths
You should tag krollo since he is the mechanics boy 2k16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Krollo never responds to me, no joke.

Gonna try again though.

@Krollo
@Krollo can you help me with mechanics 1 please mite
Original post by Insight314
Force exerted by the axis? Are you saying, in general, do the rotational dynamics questions first?

The thing is that I will only be able to do a dozen or so mech questions until tomorrow's exam, so I just want to do the ones which are pretty standard. Just like the integral question this year for STEP II was pretty standard, and has come up quite a few times before, would you say there are such questions like that but for mechanics?

A combination of Elasticity/SHM/Circular Motion always comes up

go out your house and walk to his house and talk to him ffs it's like 2 minutes
Original post by matthewdjones
A combination of Elasticity/SHM/Circular Motion always comes up

more specific m8?
Original post by Insight314
Krollo never responds to me, no joke.

Gonna try again though.

@Krollo

Lol sorry bro.

STEP ii 93 has some nice mech. I can see the electric charge one coming up in a modern exam particularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
I don't pay too much attention to the mechanics section (more of a stats guy myself, plz don't kill me guys), but as has been mentioned, inertia, elasticity, shm, vectors seem quite common. What papers have you already polished off? We can't suggest questions without knowing if you've already done them or not :tongue:

I haven't done that many. I've pretty much completed all of the mech questions for STEP III 2013-2015 (completing 2015 today), and maybe a few from older papers. I am looking more of standard mech questions which may come up tomorrow, or at least the idea to be such that it has been shown quite a few times on mech questions (e.g for I/II, Newton's third law when a bullet goes through a block). For example, the integral question that came up this year for STEP II was a pretty standard one, and the idea around it has come up many times before. Is there something of this sort for mechanics?

You could also suggest any interesting questions you've found, improving confidence and interest for STEP mechanics questions may prove to be more beneficial than trying to improve my problem-solving at them as much as possible until tomorrow afternoon.
hey @Krollo How come you can like my facebook post but not help me with mechanics 1 mite?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
For the sum of roots, products of roots stuff, does the pattern continue for polynomials above quartics? I.e sum of roots for ax^5 + bx^4 + ... + f = 0 is -b/a etc?

It's easy to prove yourself. Just take any nth degree polynomial, factorised into n linear factors (which you can do by the FTA) and a constant, and then considering each coefficient in the expansion.
Whenever I forget I just do this in my head.
Original post by Krollo
Lol sorry bro.

STEP ii 93 has some nice mech. I can see the electric charge one coming up in a modern exam particularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, Q11 was really nice :smile:. Amazed I can say that about a random paper, only done a few mech Qs in total.
Original post by Krollo
Lol sorry bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, just noticed you have replied to me lol.

All right, thanks. Definitely looking at that one then. Do you know of any other standard questions that might come up? If you were me, and could only do max 10-15 questions until tomorrow's exam, which ones do you think I should do that would make me as much accustomed to mech questions as possible? I have a bad feeling Siklos is gonna infest the pure section with so many vectors/complex number questions. Thanks again! :smile:
Good luck with Step III tomorrow lads, hope you all smash it

Posted from TSR Mobile
inshallah @Zacken and shabbat shalom @EricPiphany and Mahabharat @physicsmaths for tomorrow guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luk people. It all comes down to this. 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Number Nine
inshallah @Zacken and shabbat shalom @EricPiphany and Mahabharat @physicsmaths for tomorrow guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Chag Sameach @Number Nine.
Hey guys, I'll be going in for the exam in a bit. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to each of you for all the help you've given me in the last few months. I would probably be twice as nervous about sitting the STEP, if it were not for you (I'm terrified anyway, but that's besides the point).

I wish each of you the very best and am sure that each of you are going to do so very well, the bunch of geniuses that you are.

So it's goodbye for now. If I haven't cried my eyes out because of how badly I've messed up, I'll see you on the other side tomorrow evening.

Adieu folks :smile:
Good luck.
Best of luck all, I hope you all get what you need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending