The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

Um?
Well this won't be controversial...
Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.
Original post by JordanL_
Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.

You're stupid for thinking we'll be OK in the EU in 40 years time just because we are now.
(edited 7 years ago)
She's managed to find work now, and is worried that a recession might put her job at risk*. Gee, what a moron...

Also I like how young people are clueless idealists but old people voting remain (people over 75 are more inclined to vote IN) are outdated dinosaurs.

(Of course we'll have full employment when we leave the EU . And everyone will get a detached three bedroom house).

Spoiler

Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position.

It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life.

Getting out of the EU is the best thing we could ever do. I'm sure we'll get out eventually. Either in this referendum or in a few years when Britain gets worse and worse until people can't take it anymore.
Stupidity?

I see you're following the Sadiq Khan 'very long list' school of rhetoric.

What OP has pointed out isn't the stupid element of the youth vote. That is the platitudes: voting to be in the EU because you want to be 'close to our friends in Europe' and such like.

As Daniel Hannan has pointed out, voting for the EU because you like Europe is like voting for FIFA because you like football. There is no logical nexus there, just woolly, emotional drivel.
Vote OUT to cause chaos ya no
Original post by stephenb1608
Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position.

It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life.

Getting out of the EU is the best thing we could ever do. I'm sure we'll get out eventually. Either in this referendum or in a few years when Britain gets worse and worse until people can't take it anymore.

You go on about checking facts, but you don't present any.

Maybe the problem is people thinking that they don't need to justify their beliefs because they're old farts.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I see you're following the Sadiq Khan 'very long list' school of rhetoric.What OP has pointed out isn't the stupid element of the youth vote. That is the platitudes: voting to be in the EU because you want to be 'close to our friends in Europe' and such like.As Daniel Hannan has pointed out, voting for the EU because you like Europe is like voting for FIFA because you like football. There is no logical nexus there, just woolly, emotional drivel.
As opposed to the non-emotional reasons like "GRRR LETS GET OUR SOVEREIGNTY BACK!!"
They wear a Che Guevera t shirt

Believe a utopia is going to happen next week, next month maybe

Believe the EU is a dream, a vision, "creating something" that cannot be defined

Bono, Izzard , Geldof, McCartney, Bill Gates support it. Those type of people.

Never worked a day in their life on a farm, building site or manual labour.

Absolutely hate competition and inequality. Think they can "solve " them

As opposed to the non-emotional reasons like "GRRR LETS GET OUR SOVEREIGNTY BACK!!"

It is perfectly sensible and logical to want your laws to be decided locally and by representatives who are accountable to you. At least that is an argument that can be coherently made, and often is, whereas no-one troubles to spell out the steps in the 'Europe is really swell' line of 'reasoning'.
Stupidity?

What "facts" do you seem to think i am not aware off?

Its almost like you believe millionaires and their beneficiaries have the best interests of the average person at heart? I have some magic beans to sell you Jordan. Talk about naive

I have never said Boris Johnson will save the NHS

Yes very stupid to think leaving the controlling and restrictive clutches of the dying and slowest growing continent in the world barring lol antartica and trading with the entire big wide world is stupid :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Davij038
She's managed to find work now, and is worried that a recession might put her job at risk*. Gee, what a moron...

Also I like how young people are clueless idealists but old people voting remain (people over 75 are more inclined to vote IN) are outdated dinosaurs.

(Of course we'll have full employment when we leave the EU . And everyone will get a detached three bedroom house).

and Mr Weatherspoons will support pay increases for his staff.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/11/wetherspoons-boss-attacks-national-living-wage-plan
Original post by democracyforum
They wear a Che Guevera t shirt

Believe a utopia is going to happen next week, next month maybe

Believe the EU is a dream, a vision, "creating something" that cannot be defined

Never worked a day in their life on a farm, building site or manual labour.

What? I work manual 11 hours days manual labour for minimum wage.

Bill Gates support it

........This is a bad thing? Those idiots listening to the most successful entrepreneur in the world, they should be listening to Boris Johnson!!!

Absolutely hate competition and inequality. Think they can "solve " them

Who hates competition? I don't think it's young people voting to leave so we can reduce the competition for work...

It seems like you can't really justify any of your views, so you just went off on a self righteous tirade and decided that you know better than everyone because you're old. Disgusting.

Spoiler

I thought young people were more idealistic and more likely to vote for left of centre parties. Whilst the right wing were the ones who know about the economy.
Original post by stephenb1608
It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life..

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Speaking as an 18-year-old school leaver, you have no idea how many times I've been childishly insulted by my classmates regarding this whole EU referendum thing. "Oh, you wanna vote Leave? What are you, a racist?" "Well Leave supporters are just stupid" (two actual quotes there, with no accompanying facts to back them up which renders them pretty much meaningless). Add to that the fact I never even confirmed my inclinations - I was merely playing devil's advocate for the other side - and it just makes my generation seem incredibly immature. "Disowning" a friend simply because they voted differently from you? Yeah, right. Grow up.

I don't have a problem with people who think differently, nor am I biased in favour of those who think the same way. In fact, one of the people I get most annoyed with is a girl in my year who's voting Leave tomorrow just because her father is. What makes me furious is when young people are blind to argument and resort to ad hominems to "win" their case. I fence-sat for ages, swinging from one position to the other, before I actually came up with my own decision, yet it feels to me that everyone else is voting Remain because it's "cool" to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only just 18 and glad to be finally exercising my democratic right, I'd be advocating an increase in the voting age to 21. Having experienced what some young people are like, there is absolutely no way I would ever support a lowering of the voting age to 16.
While we are the subject of the young, I never cease to be amazed at the way they overwhelmingly seem to support complete freedom of movement (with such arguments as: Why should there be constraints on where people live and work?).

Two good reasons for the young in Britain to support well-controlled immigration are:

(a) To keep your own accommodation costs down. More people living here (attracted by both the economy and point (b) below) means the cost of housing has only upward pressure, and

(b) Social cohesion and safety. The first duty of any nation is to protect its citizens. Many countries (indeed, possibly most) make a bad job of this (and I don't refer to economic development. Just look at Zimbabwe, Syria, Iraq, indeed most African and Arab countries if you don't believe me). Britain does a good job of doing so, but to do that it needs both social cohesion and well-managed borders with only those who will assimilate easily being allowed in.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Speaking as an 18-year-old school leaver, you have no idea how many times I've been childishly insulted by my classmates regarding this whole EU referendum thing. "Oh, you wanna vote Leave? What are you, a racist?" "Well Leave supporters are just stupid" (two actual quotes there, with no accompanying facts to back them up which renders them pretty much meaningless). Add to that the fact I never even confirmed my inclinations - I was merely playing devil's advocate for the other side - and it just makes my generation seem incredibly immature. "Disowning" a friend simply because they voted differently from you? Yeah, right. Grow up.

I don't have a problem with people who think differently, nor am I biased in favour of those who think the same way. In fact, one of the people I get most annoyed with is a girl in my year who's voting Leave tomorrow just because her father is. What makes me furious is when young people are blind to argument and resort to ad hominems to "win" their case. I fence-sat for ages, swinging from one position to the other, before I actually came up with my own decision, yet it feels to me that everyone else is voting Remain because it's "cool" to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only just 18 and glad to be finally exercising my democratic right, I'd be advocating an increase in the voting age to 21. Having experienced what some young people are like, there is absolutely no way I would ever support a lowering of the voting age to 16.

PRSOM

My step sister is 18 and was holding a bag of milky stars and read "Not for sale outside the EU" .. she said we wouldnt get these if we left... (She was being sincere)

I tried to explain it to her but her attention span waivered and i decided it was a lost cause.
Reply 19
Original post by AnnieGakusei

35+ Landowning Men only, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending