The Student Room Group

EU vs. Brexit: who are the backers?

EU: Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, Richard Branson.

Brexit: Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove.

Need I say more?

Scroll to see replies

Yes!
The first 3 are not politicians.
Original post by ODES_PDES
Yes!
The first 3 are not politicians.

Calling the latter three politicians is like calling a tomato a fruit. Although technically correct do you want them in a fruit salad?
Trump, Gates, Branson ...Yes these you should vote accordingly to these guys desires... because they are just like me and you.

Whats good for the Millionaires and elite is good for the average Brit

Remind me where Branson resides again? On his luxury Caribbean island avoiding paying his taxes... what a guy... defo vote in his interests
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Trump, Gates, Branson ...Yes these you should vote accordingly to these guys desires... because they are just like me and you.

Remind me where Branson resides again? On his luxury Caribbean island avoiding paying his taxes... what a guy... defo vote in his interests

I'm fairly sure the point is that Richard Branson and Bill Gates are better people than anyone on the other side, and far more knowledgeable than any of us.

But Leavers dismiss any informed opinion with "Well they're just rich so............."

Well as far as I'm aware Gates and Branson earned most of their money whereas Trump was given a small loan of $1m.

So...what's your point again?
Original post by JordanL_
I'm fairly sure the point is that Richard Branson and Bill Gates are better people than anyone on the other side, and far more knowledgeable than any of us.

But Leavers dismiss any informed opinion with "Well they're just rich so............."

BAHAHAHA better people how? More informed...? More informed how bad it may be for their bottom line you mean.

Jesus your post belongs in my young remain people are dumb thread!
Original post by The_Meritocrat
Well as far as I'm aware Gates and Branson earned most of their money whereas Trump was given a small loan of $1m.

So...what's your point again?

My point is rich powerful millionaire businessman have different probably polar opposite wants to the average person, definitely so economically. You seem to think having them on side strengthens your argument... it does the opposite to anybody engaging their brain

They are living on a different planet to the people voting tomorrow
BAHAHAHA better people how? More informed...? More informed how bad it may be for their bottom line you mean.

Jesus your post belongs in my young remain people are dumb thread!

Maybe better people as in... they're philanthropists, while Trump is an opportunist exploiting his wealth to run for president? Or better businessmen who started successful businesses from nothing, while Trump was born into wealth and managed to bankrupt multiple businesses?

My point is rich powerful millionaire businessman have different probably polar opposite wants to the average person, definitely so economically.

Soooo true. Bill Gates and Richard Branson obviously want an economic recession! The rich scum only exist to ruin the lives of us poor people!!

Nah, get real. I keep seeing leavers telling us about all the hidden agendas of the Illuminati trying to get us to stay, and yet you can't actually explain what their interests might be.
My point is rich powerful millionaire businessman have different probably polar opposite wants to the average person, definitely so economically. You seem to think having them on side strengthens your argument... it does the opposite to anybody engaging their brain

Okay I'll try to engage my brain.

Gates has a foundation with his wife to help disadvantaged people suffering from malaria etc. Microsoft has also got scholarships and Gates clearly cares about young talent such as in the case of Arfa Karim.

Branson has provided loads of jobs in Europe for his companies which would be damaged if we left the EU. He has made many charity contributions, look it up.

Donald Trump on the other hand has in the past stated he dislikes poor people. He has also been bankrupt multiple times and would have more money now if he had done nothing, considering his father's net worth.

So considering the billionaires on both sides which sound the most intelligent, hardworking and compassionate about the disadvantaged?
Original post by JordanL_
Maybe better people as in... they're philanthropists, while Trump is an opportunist exploiting his wealth to run for president? Or better businessmen who started successful businesses from nothing, while Trump was born into wealth and managed to bankrupt multiple businesses?

Soooo true. Bill Gates and Richard Branson obviously want an economic recession! The rich scum only exist to ruin the lives of us poor people!!

Nah, get real. I keep seeing leavers telling us about all the hidden agendas of the Illuminati trying to get us to stay, and yet you can't actually explain what their interests might be.

Everybody who is filthily rich is a philanthropist. There is no Illuminati, you are just to thick to understand rich powerful people try to get the little people to vote in their interests.
Everybody who is filthily rich is a philanthropist. There is no Illuminati, you are just to thick to understand rich powerful people try to get the little people to vote in their interests.

Again: which interests?
Original post by The_Meritocrat
Okay I'll try to engage my brain.

Gates has a foundation with his wife to help disadvantaged people suffering from malaria etc. Microsoft has also got scholarships and Gates clearly cares about young talent such as in the case of Arfa Karim.

Branson has provided loads of jobs in Europe for his companies which would be damaged if we left the EU. He has made many charity contributions, look it up.

Donald Trump on the other hand has in the past stated he dislikes poor people. He has also been bankrupt multiple times and would have more money now if he had done nothing, considering his father's net worth.

So considering the billionaires on both sides which sound the most intelligent, hardworking and compassionate about the disadvantaged?

Worlds richest man gives money to good causes... wowww what an incredible human being
I wonder how much tax Branson has evaded .. depriving the NHS of its money. Fantastic guy
(edited 7 years ago)
Per an email I got ;
A historic question faces the British people this week, a choice about the survival of Britain itself, and the values that have made it great. To see this choice, we first have to wade through a thicket of arguments designed to obscure it. Claims that the UK is burdened and shafted by the costs of EU membership, or that leaving free trade with the world's largest economy won't have an adverse effect on jobs and the economy, seem disingenuous to all but the most ideological.

Bashing the so-called bureaucratic tyranny of Brussels also seems suspect. Absolutely no-one holding any power in the EU is not either directly democratically elected, or appointed by and accountable to someone who is. And in that European democracy, the UK wins 98% of the votes that are taken. Try getting a Brexiter to explain where, exactly, the UK has been so oppressed. As a democracy campaigner, I frequently go up against the EU, but less often than national governments. Corporate interests have too much power in both.

So these common arguments for Brexit seem largely made in bad faith. The real driving force of the Leave campaign, and the centre of the historic choice to be made - is immigration. That is the area of policy that the leavers are most keen to control, the one, if they're honest, they're willing to risk massive job losses to gain.

There is also a disingenuous case on immigration, which amounts to transparent scapegoating. As in almost every country, the far right wing is blaming immigrants for the economic insecurity that their own policies are responsible for creating -- policies, for example, like Brexit. Policies that will only get worse when Brexit ushers Prime Minister Boris Johnson into 10 Downing St.

But many leave campaigners are more honest and open that this vote is significant because it's the "last chance that Britons will have to decide the future of Britain". By Britons, they mean people that are ethnically, well, mostly English. Immigration has and will change the face of the UK. Many, especially older white men, are uncomfortable with that. If anything, that is the honest, straight up choice in this vote. Is England for the English? An ethnic state? Or is England part of the UK, a modern civic nation that embraces Europeans, and people of any background that choose to live by our laws?

This is partly why, while not all Brexiters are racists, all racists are Brexiters. Some white Americans are facing the same choice as they see themselves being outnumbered by minorities in coming decades, and are turning to the Brexit of the US, Donald Trump, to deliver them from that fate. Britain doesn't need to build a wall; Brexit promises to build a border. I understand how the leave campaign's fear-mongering on this could resonate - I don't want the world to become an airport, a mish-mash melting pot with no discernible linguistic or cultural differences. It seems that great value would be lost, and that comes from someone who is, literally, a mish-mash myself.

But we don't need to fear that future, because it is possible to be British and be any colour, or have any background. Just like someone from Leeds or York has a specific identity that is part of a larger British identity, so can someone be from Wembley, like my family, and have an Indian identity that also fits well within a larger British identity.

Because being British isn't about ethnicity. It's about fairness and humour and art and sport, about being embarrassed a lot, and knowing what you're talking about, and gorgeous countryside and bad weather. And, for longer than any other nation, it has been about rights, and laws that apply to all, regardless of their ethnic background. And for longer than any other nation, it has been about the rest of the world, about a vision of a Britain that sails the seas, trades with, learns from, and welcomes people from far and wide. This is what has made Britain, more than any other nation, great. Why it has led the world for many, many generations, including in the creation of Europe. Why London, more than any other city on earth, can claim to be the capital of the world.

England chose long ago to opt for the creation of Great Britain. But if England chooses now to depart from these values, and leaves Europe, it will almost certainly trigger another Scottish referendum, and there is a decent chance that Scotland could leave. It could be the end of Britain.

England can turn back on this road that it has led humanity down. It can turn away from Great Britain to become little England: small, weak, and white. But that has never been the dream of the English, or the British. It is not now the dream of any of Britain's major political parties or leaders. It is only the dream of a few populist xenophobes, buoyed by a few small minded newspaper editors and owners of the Mail and the Sun, especially Trump-loving American Rupert Murdoch, who have whipped up anti-government and anti-immigrant hysteria with lies and propaganda. Great nations do wither and die - this could be the story of next week. But I have hope that Britain will remember itself before the end. The leave campaign is right - after next week, the door may be forever closed to their small-mindedness, their backward views on what this country is about. What they don't see is that that door has long been closed. And that is what has made Britain, great. Long may it ever be so.

Avaaz sent it to me, great folks. Have fun reading. That'll describe why Brexit is terribly ill-advised.

You're right. We should vote in Katie Hopkins' interests instead.
Original post by Craig1998
You're right. We should vote in Katie Hopkins' interests instead.

Another fool who cant read. I said dont vote in anybody elses interests, particuarly rich elite people in their bubble. It doesnt matter if they are remain or leave... Trump or Branson
Sir James Dyson backs leave.
Reply 17

What about small businesses? Not multi-mega corporations and their billionaire owners. You know the small businesses that are apparently at the sharp end of EU regulations and red-tape.

Often these are businesses that don't trade that much outside the UK. So they aren't that interested in exporting their services. Some are plumbers, or corner shops, or the car mechanic down the alley.

Just earning a crust. Keeping going.

Their trade organisation is called the Federation of Small Businesses. They carried out a survey:
11% of members were undecided.
41% said Leave.
47% said Remain.

So if you don't want to listen to Richard Branson, or the countless other experts and the vast majority of our democratically elected MPs. Listen to the ordinary small business owner. They might even be in a position to offer you a job some day.

AGAIN: WHICH INTERESTS?

You can't go around throwing out claims of corruption if you're completely unwilling to back it up.

Original post by physicsphysics91

James Dyson wants to leave because he lost a court case against EU energy labelling restrictions.

The ****ing irony in telling us that hundreds of prominent figures are supporting remain for their own interest, and then quoting the very few supporting a Brexit who actually do have ulterior motives.
Original post by physicsphysics91

He's like the only businessman supporting leave versus the dozens backing remain..

Quick Reply