The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Would it be impossible to get into UCL with these GCSEs?

English lit: B
English Lang: A
Maths: B
Science Core: A
Science additional A
History: C
Sociology: B
Classics: C
RE: B
Spanish: F

And what if you got Alevels at: AAA with psychology, chemistry and biology?
They're not great, and depends on the course in terms of the english and maths grade.

But I got AAAAAABBBCC and got an offer (and got in)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hi there Lea170!

I am 24, going to UCL this September to study anthropology after travelling around the world for about 5 years.... Let me just say that I have absolutely RUBBISH GCSE's... I had to retake my maths GCSE to get a C and I didn't do a language either (which they require).

I didn't do AS or A Levels. I tried and failed- twice!

I went back to college this year to do an Access to Higher Education course and got into UCL without an interview, a B in Maths GCSE or a language as they are letting me take a short course there!

So my point is - you're so young to be worrying about this! GCSE's do not mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Find something your interested in and UCL will most likely accept you based on your experiences/true interest in the subject. Besides your GCSE results seem pretty good to me! Enjoy being young and remember that education is not a race, you can always start again like me! :smile:

Best of luck for the future!
Reply 3
Original post by C0j0
Hi there Lea170!

I am 24, going to UCL this September to study anthropology after travelling around the world for about 5 years.... Let me just say that I have absolutely RUBBISH GCSE's... I had to retake my maths GCSE to get a C and I didn't do a language either (which they require).

I went back to college this year to do an Access to Higher Education course and got into UCL without an interview, a B in Maths GCSE or a language as they are letting me take a short course there!

So my point is - you're so young to be worrying about this! GCSE's do not mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Find something your interested in and UCL will most likely accept you based on your experiences/true interest in the subject. Besides your GCSE results seem pretty good to me! Enjoy being young and remember that education is not a race, you can always start again like me! :smile:

I would just like to to say thank you so much. This made me feel more positive as at the moment I feel really stressed out. I'm predicted much higher grades than I know I'm going to achieve. I'm pretty hard on my self when it comes to school and my grades so I always just think it's the end of the world when I get a bad grade. You're right when you say education isn't a race. Nothing is the end of the world. 😊
Original post by Noodlzzz
They're not great, and depends on the course in terms of the english and maths grade.

But I got AAAAAABBBCC and got an offer (and got in)

Which course? would 4A*s 5As and predicted A*AA B at AS enough for medicine?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Not_a_horse
Which course? would 4A*s 5As and predicted A*AA B at AS enough for medicine?

Usually to apply for medicine it is recomended to have at least 6A*, although A level results matter so much more. UCL only requires a grade B or above in English language at maths, and then A*AA at A level (with the A* being in chemistry and biology). Your grades seem great! Just remember to work hard and do lots of work experience.
Original post by C0j0
Hi there Lea170!

Wow, seriously. That's amazing, congratulations. Hope you don't mind me asking, did you have any extenuating circumstances? And do you feel that universities are more lenient with mature students? I may end up going to university at 21 about to be 22 if I take the route of having a two year gap year after repeating year 12. On your personal statement, did you explain to them you had taken time to travel for five years? Why I'm wanting to take the two year gap is to gain experience in the music industry, attempting to establish my self as an artist. If not, I may just go university the year after so I'd begin at 20.
Reply 7
Original post by Cherry82
Wow, seriously. That's amazing, congratulations. Hope you don't mind me asking, did you have any extenuating circumstances? And do you feel that universities are more lenient with mature students? I may end up going to university at 21 about to be 22 if I take the route of having a two year gap year after repeating year 12. On your personal statement, did you explain to them you had taken time to travel for five years? Why I'm wanting to take the two year gap is to gain experience in the music industry, attempting to establish my self as an artist. If not, I may just go university the year after so I'd begin at 20.

Hi there!
No problem - I didn't have any extenuating circumstances. But I'm not sure universities will hold that against you if you did! I definitely feel that being a little bit more mature means universities are a bit more lenient... I'm guessing this is because overall you are more likely to study harder and get better results (therefore boosting the universities LT scores) compared to the youngsters who are probably more interested in getting smashed and living away from home for the first time! However, that could be totally incorrect and I am just guessing... And yes I did mention that I had been away on my PS, I also made sure to include all the great experiences I had too! Also I have had quite a few relevant jobs abroad so I mentioned that too. I think go for it! Get some experience and it will serve you well in so many ways other than helping you getting into university! Good luck with it all, sounds great! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending