The Student Room Group

COMP3 - JUN 2016 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Guys what was in the tree question, all i remember is one of the parts being to write the stuff down in order then say Alphabetical, im sure the whole question wouldnt just be two parts , does anyone remember what else was in this question?
Original post by saqibjr
Guys what was in the tree question, all i remember is one of the parts being to write the stuff down in order then say Alphabetical, im sure the whole question wouldnt just be two parts , does anyone remember what else was in this question?

you had to fill in the array table for it. was there a specific order required or did it not matter as long as the pointers were right?
Reply 162
Original post by Sid1234
you had to fill in the array table for it. was there a specific order required or did it not matter as long as the pointers were right?

Which array table did we fill in, I dont remember, I was talking about when we had to do a binary tree search and list the items in the order, and we had to do a tree traversal.
Original post by saqibjr
Which array table did we fill in, I dont remember, I was talking about when we had to do a binary tree search and list the items in the order, and we had to do a tree traversal.

they then asked you to fill in a table with three columns, as a one dimensional array of records. It had left pointer data item right pointer
Reply 164
Original post by Sid1234
they then asked you to fill in a table with three columns, as a one dimensional array of records. It had left pointer data item right pointer

I totally forgot about that. Do you remember which question this was? Do you remember how many marks that was? If possible, could you just list for me all the parts to this question, thank you, im trying to put together an unofficial mark scheme

In the centre there were the nodes, in the left you are meant to put in the memory addresses of the left sub tree. on the right you put in the memory addresses of the right sub tree.
Reply 165
there was one question which had answer nlogn, does anyone remember what that was and the part before it?
Original post by saqibjr
I totally forgot about that. Do you remember which question this was? Do you remember how many marks that was? If possible, could you just list for me all the parts to this question, thank you, im trying to put together an unofficial mark scheme

In the centre there were the nodes, in the left you are meant to put in the memory addresses of the left sub tree. on the right you put in the memory addresses of the right sub tree.

that was 3 marks, the question that had the answer O(log n) was asking what the order of complexity of a binary search tree was
Reply 167
Original post by Sid1234
that was 3 marks, the question that had the answer O(log n) was asking what the order of complexity of a binary search tree was

oh ok, what was the tree traversal question then? and its parts
Just a few more questions I can remember:

Name 3 types of OS management
State why Implementation 2 that used hashing was better than Implementation 1 or something similar
Explain what asynchronous transmission is and how start and stop bit is used
Tick box for accounting, authentication etc.
How a digital signature is made
Advantage of reverse polish
Why are numbers normalised
Why is floating point used
Fill in the boxes for parity bit, stop and start bits
Name the standard notation used (backus naur?)
Explain how an algorithm is similar to a turing machine
Do an in order traversal
Original post by saqibjr
there was one question which had answer nlogn, does anyone remember what that was and the part before it?

About a search on a binary tree. the answer was nlogn or something as it was a binary search
Reply 170
I have made an unofficial mark scheme with most answers. Please tell me the answers to the questions I missed if you know. This covers>90 of the marks. This is the best I could do given the questions I remember

EDIT: I HAVE UPLOADED A NEWER VERSION HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8y3j-jjFBDKR3Rkck5ON1N5VWM
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saqibjr
I have made an unofficial mark scheme with most answers. Please tell me the answers to the questions I missed if you know. This covers>90 of the marks. This is the best I could do given the questions I remember

This attachment is "pending approval", can you upload somewhere else (e.g. https://mixtape.moe/) for the time being?
Original post by saqibjr

Good MS :smile:

The only question you are missing is the one about "Why is LinkedList a form of abstraction" - something like that
Original post by Shrek1234

The only question you are missing is the one about "Why is LinkedList a form of abstraction" - something like that

How did you view it

what was the answer to that?

How did you open the pdf?
Original post by Sid1234
what was the answer to that?

I mentioned how LinkedList is an Object Orientated Language so it uses objects and predefined methods to run and therefore programmers do not need to know how the program works, just how to implement the objects, similar to abstraction which removes non essential details
Original post by thelion786
I mentioned how LinkedList is an Object Orientated Language so it uses objects and predefined methods to run and therefore programmers do not need to know how the program works, just how to implement the objects, similar to abstraction which removes non essential details

I said a similar thing. The idea that the class acts as an interface for the 'bigger program' - meaning it is not necessary for the rest of the program to know the details of the implementation.
What did everyone get for the function of the Turing machine?
i said using classes is an example of breaking a problem down into smaller more manageable sub problems which is an example of abstraction by generalisation - any marks ? :/

Quick Reply