The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Louise has a point with everything she says... the only one immensely stupid is you
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Speaking as an 18-year-old school leaver, you have no idea how many times I've been childishly insulted by my classmates regarding this whole EU referendum thing. "Oh, you wanna vote Leave? What are you, a racist?" "Well Leave supporters are just stupid" (two actual quotes there, with no accompanying facts to back them up which renders them pretty much meaningless). Add to that the fact I never even confirmed my inclinations - I was merely playing devil's advocate for the other side - and it just makes my generation seem incredibly immature. "Disowning" a friend simply because they voted differently from you? Yeah, right. Grow up.

I don't have a problem with people who think differently, nor am I biased in favour of those who think the same way. In fact, one of the people I get most annoyed with is a girl in my year who's voting Leave tomorrow just because her father is. What makes me furious is when young people are blind to argument and resort to ad hominems to "win" their case. I fence-sat for ages, swinging from one position to the other, before I actually came up with my own decision, yet it feels to me that everyone else is voting Remain because it's "cool" to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only just 18 and glad to be finally exercising my democratic right, I'd be advocating an increase in the voting age to 21. Having experienced what some young people are like, there is absolutely no way I would ever support a lowering of the voting age to 16.

Excellent post, Annie
Original post by neal95
typical remainers showing their utter contempt for people who think differently to them. you people are the definition of bigoted.

Utter contempt? You've just went on a big rant about how everyone who disagrees with you is a self-serving young idiot with no backbone, no convictions and getting all their views from braindead TV.

Who's the bigot?
Reply 43

Its almost like you believe millionaires and their beneficiaries have the best interests of the average person at heart? I have some magic beans to sell you Jordan. Talk about naive

In case you forgot, we live in a plutocracy. This means their interests and our interests are very interlinked. Besides, who says "leave" favours the average person. Need i remind you of the economic ramifications of leaving?
Reply 44
Original post by JordanL_
Utter contempt? You've just went on a big rant about how everyone who disagrees with you is a self-serving young idiot with no backbone, no convictions and getting all their views from braindead TV.

Who's the bigot?

Jordan, you're far too smart for these brexit peasants. Dont bother.
Original post by neal95
typical remainers showing their utter contempt for people who think differently to them. you people are the definition of bigoted.

Your disgusting attitude is actually making me even more confident in my decision to vote remain, so thank you :smile:
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Louise has a point with everything she says... the only one immensely stupid is you

Let me make it clearer for you little guy... it took her 8 months to become a brew lady

Who's the bigot?

you as you don't tolerate others views. I don't try to turn everyone to my point of view. great if they listen if not, life goes on, I don't bear any ill will like many lefty remainers who will hold grudges. its my opinion that they are idiots, dosent mean I hold them in contempt. just frequent the guardian comments and its full of ivory tower dwelling middle class champagne swilling country retreat lefties deriding the working class people who have the audacity to vote out. these people haven't ever worked a hard days work and they are usually privately educated and got mummy and daddy to sort them out a job. they haven't seen the other side yet think its ok to lecture everyone else on how the experts have got it right and everyone else should fall into line like good little sheep.
Original post by drogon
In case you forgot, we live in a plutocracy. This means their interests and our interests are very interlinked. Besides, who says "leave" favours the average person. Need i remind you of the economic ramifications of leaving?

Ahh yes we are all equal, some more equal than others. Need i remind you there are no economic certainties either way
Original post by A-LJLB
Your disgusting attitude is actually making me even more confident in my decision to vote remain, so thank you :smile:

brilliant you vote how you want. I don't hold people in contempt like you guys.
Original post by neal95
brilliant you vote how you want. I don't hold people in contempt like you guys.

You called us bigoted immediately, simply for having a different opinion to you :lol:
Reply 51
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

If either vote is idealistic it is CLEARLY the leave vote, which is almost entirely substantiated by nationalistic rubbish, fear and speculation. If you think one quote from one 19 year old represents the entire remain group then you're ignorant.
Original post by neal95
haha what a idiot that girl is. these people only care about their own self interests and will claim to hate banks and support workers rights and deride you when you say you want a career in law or financial services or vote tory yet who is the one voting for Europe?? hint, it aint me. the youth have no backbone and are more concerned about being able to fly visa free, they have no conviction and spend their days watching braindead tv like the kardashians etc. what a shame this is what has happened to a once proud nation. #voteleave and restore that sense of pride and dignity in the country and person

Its hilarious.. the people who despise big business and exploting the poor dont realise its what the EU is lmao.. Grrrr those dastardly evil bankers..

HEY VOTE REMAIN COS GOLDMAN SACHS SAID ITS BAD IF WE DONT
Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.

If the question was whether we should join the EU, Would you?

If no you have to leave brah
I am only 16!!!!! I think we need to leave!! Leave!!! Everyone leave!!! Please!!! For my generation who will be left with the mess of the eu if you vote remain!!!! Please!!!! I want to have a good future!! I want a happy life!!! Please vote leave!!! I am begging you!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by govandpolitics
If the question was whether we should join the EU, Would you?

Yes.

If no you have to leave brah

That's not how it works.
Original post by A-LJLB
You called us bigoted immediately, simply for having a different opinion to you :lol:

yeah after you people called me idiots. plus its the general condescending "I'm more educated than you" tone that many remainers adopt. you may have university degrees and a levels which people of older generations lack but I guarantee you they have more life experience and are more qualified to make decisions. unlike the "experts" who go of maybes and possibilities which will most likely not occur. they have accepted their fate like a rabbit in the headlights and will do nothing to try and change it.
Original post by neal95
you as you don't tolerate others views. I don't try to turn everyone to my point of view. great if they listen if not, life goes on, I don't bear any ill will like many lefty remainers who will hold grudges. its my opinion that they are idiots, dosent mean I hold them in contempt. just frequent the guardian comments and its full of ivory tower dwelling middle class champagne swilling country retreat lefties deriding the working class people who have the audacity to vote out. these people haven't ever worked a hard days work and they are usually privately educated and got mummy and daddy to sort them out a job. they haven't seen the other side yet think its ok to lecture everyone else on how the experts have got it right and everyone else should fall into line like good little sheep.

You're right, everyone that values facts and listens to people who know what they're talking about has never worked a hard days work in their life.
Original post by neal95
yeah after you people called me idiots. plus its the general condescending "I'm more educated than you" tone that many remainers adopt. you may have university degrees and a levels which people of older generations lack but I guarantee you they have more life experience and are more qualified to make decisions. unlike the "experts" who go of maybes and possibilities which will most likely not occur. they have accepted their fate like a rabbit in the headlights and will do nothing to try and change it.

I don't understand how "life experience" makes you more qualified to make technical decisions. Do you think you're qualified to tell NASA how to get to Mars because you have life experience?
Original post by 41b
35+ Landowning Men only, I think.

damn straight, referendum like it's 1829

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending